Portland Nightwish show review

Sorry Mel, I had no intention of offending.

In all honesty, all 3 vocalists who have graced the stage are all special and talented in their own way.

No no sorry, that was me agreeing with you! It was just a topic that I personally had been trying not to bring up because I wanted to look past her bad taste in fashion LOL. The point I was trying to make is that I think that Tarja and Floor have such big personas that I never really cared what they were wearing where as with Anette I always scratched my head at her outfit choices.

Oh, thank god!!!! You have no idea how much I've been crucified over saying openly that her fashion sense fucking sucked, excuse my language. I am sooo happy that now I'm not the only one to see it. What about the makeup she wore in Lyon, the Mimi from The Drew Carey show eyemakeup? I honestly don't think she knew what the fuck she was doing and honestly wonder if her 205 outfits for the Dark Passion Play tour wasn't indeed encouraged by Ewo and the guys. It is ridiculous- never trust a dude with picking out YOUR clothing, you will always look a little... skanky. Sorry if I'm offending peeps....

I shudder to wonder just how much money she's wasted by putting up a false front LOL! Whats she going to do? Sell her clothing now?

Floor <3 I have been a fan of her since shortly after discovering Nightwish. I've always been amazed at her voice, and I am sooooo looking forwards to seeing them Tuesday. Expect pictures galore, or at least a link to flickr where the album will be. I took 88 pictures the last time. I am pretty sure I'm going to kill the battery on my newly aquired Nikon Coolpix.

Am I the only one thinking Floor's voice cracks on some of the vocal changes?

The Kamelot girl did that a lot too. It just makes me appreciate Tarja that much more. Maybe it'll take more practice to get used to the songs? I dunno....

Some parts of the Portland show just sound awful to me (and it's not the recording)

X

Tarja's clothes are AWESOME!!

In End of an Era, all of her costumes are so perfect...so...Nightwish!

Am I the only one thinking Floor's voice cracks on some of the vocal changes?

The Kamelot girl did that a lot too. It just makes me appreciate Tarja that much more. Maybe it'll take more practice to get used to the songs? I dunno....

Some parts of the Portland show just sound awful to me (and it's not the recording)

X

It could be because she does have a cold going on at the moment.

Tarja's clothes are AWESOME!!

In End of an Era, all of her costumes are so perfect...so...Nightwish!

I don't know I go look back they were hit and miss to me, better than Anette's because I loved some of them, I still lust over that red jacket from the Once album. My point being I don't think many of her outfits were "metal"(they were 100% Nightwish that I will agree with), but everyone criticized Anette's fashion of not fitting in a metal band, instead of just saying she had bad taste in fashion and not a very appealing stage persona.

Question about the touring setlist:

Is Nightwish just the greatest band EVER? lol

I mean, I go see my favorite bands...big time bands in their genre like Testament, Overkill, Iced Earth, etc...and honestly...their sets always have songs that HAVE to be played. Slayer HAS to play "Reign in Blood" or "Angel of Death". Pantera HAD to play "Walk". I thought for sure a song like Wishmaster or some of the End of an Era songs would be played, but the new set list is all the new albumns for the most part. And the kicker is that those are all good songs too!

I think NW has just gotten to great that they'll never be able to play all their "MUST PLAY" songs in one night. That's sad. It's a shame some of their older stuff can't be performed as much anymore.

X

Question about the touring setlist:

Is Nightwish just the greatest band EVER? lol

I mean, I go see my favorite bands...big time bands in their genre like Testament, Overkill, Iced Earth, etc...and honestly...their sets always have songs that HAVE to be played. Slayer HAS to play "Reign in Blood" or "Angel of Death". Pantera HAD to play "Walk". I thought for sure a song like Wishmaster or some of the End of an Era songs would be played, but the new set list is all the new albumns for the most part. And the kicker is that those are all good songs too!

I think NW has just gotten to great that they'll never be able to play all their "MUST PLAY" songs in one night. That's sad. It's a shame some of their older stuff can't be performed as much anymore.

X

Hmm, that is a good point. I'd LOVE to hear Floor do Wishmaster. I honestly think they took so many songs away because Anette couldn't really do much more than scream by the end because of voice damage.

I am so pumped right now its unreal.

X

Sure they can. Rush have done it for 15 years now. THey play a 3 hour set, with a short break, and don't take an opening act. No Rush fans have complained yet and all the hits get played.

NW could not do that in the US yet. In Europe, maybe in another decade. but certainly not here. They simply aren't famous enough here.

I think that Tuomas said long ago that he tries actively avoid creating a catalog of "must play" songs just because it'd limit their future setlists so much. But of course there will be the compulsory hits familiar to the wider public due single releases which they can't ignore. I'd rather see them touring with a more flexible setlist, but then again, the need to use backing tracks for producing the symphonic elements and vast choirs does not really allow such a luxury.

^Agree totally, would be splendid to see a total reshuffle of the setlist every now and then. The band is under a major change anyway so why not downscale the backing tracks as well. The orchestra background gives added value in many songs, but I'd also love to see much more flexibility and spontaneity.

Yeah, I think Tuomas said as much in our interview when he was explaining certain songs they don't like to play and why they retired "Wishmaster". It just became so expected after a while that even *they* got tired of it. They also said they were sick of "Nemo" too, but apparently it was Anette's idea to do it in a more acoustic fashion, so that sort of breathed new life into it as well.

Tuomas also mentioned that he takes into consideration what the other folks in the band like to play; for example, he *really* wanted to do "The Wayfarer" on this tour, but Marco wasn't feeling it, so they nixed it. :(

Well excuuuuuuse us fans for wanting to hear their best songs!

If you missed Tarja touring, then you really got screwed as a Nightwish fan as far as I can tell. :p

Just one more reason to bring in a singer who can handle operatic vocals like Tarja did....so you don't have to sweep 4 magical albumns under the damn rug because the new singer can't pull them off.

X

Well excuuuuuuse us fans for wanting to hear their best songs!

If you missed Tarja touring, then you really got screwed as a Nightwish fan as far as I can tell. :p

Just one more reason to bring in a singer who can handle operatic vocals like Tarja did....so you don't have to sweep 4 magical albumns under the damn rug because the new singer can't pull them off.

X

I agree. I've been hoping that Tuomas will say fuck it and utilize Floors talents rather than attempt to appease the fans of Anette by sticking with the same setlist since she left.

C'mon, duder, it isn't that difficult to change the songs up. why not scale back on the number of backing tracks?

The one thing I did like about the Denver show, was that they DID change the setlist to accomodate what they had to work with in the Kamelot singers and the bagpipe thingie player guy lol.

One thing I did notice when they changed up the setlist, was that the stage lights were completely messed up. So that makes sense as to why they can't easily change their setlist. The lights are all worked out for the songs.

Does anyone know if this is Floor's first tour of America?

After Forever headlined ProgPower USA in 2007 and did a limited tour of about 2 weeks after the festival. Floor was back with MaYaN at this year's ProgPower last month. I had the extreme pleasure of attending and meeting Floor. She was really cool and humble, taking the time to tell me about the progress on the next ReVamp album. MaYaN was absolutely incredible live and Floor owned the place. No matter what happens with Nightwish and Floor in the future, it's great to see her playing to packed houses and getting the exposure she has deserved for so long. When I tell people that Floor Jansen is one of the finest and easily the most powerful soprano in metal, the days of "Floor who?" should happily be coming to a quick end.

After Forever headlined ProgPower USA in 2007 and did a limited tour of about 2 weeks after the festival. Floor was back with MaYaN at this year's ProgPower last month. I had the extreme pleasure of attending and meeting Floor. She was really cool and humble, taking the time to tell me about the progress on the next ReVamp album. MaYaN was absolutely incredible live and Floor owned the place. No matter what happens with Nightwish and Floor in the future, it's great to see her playing to packed houses and getting the exposure she has deserved for so long. When I tell people that Floor Jansen is one of the finest and easily the most powerful soprano in metal, the days of "Floor who?" should happily be coming to a quick end.

I had caught After Forever in October of 2007 here in New York as well. When AF had to call it quits, I was glad I had gotten to see them once before hand (older OSAers will know what I means when I say this was at the tail end of TZT week. Zellie and I went). So yeah, Floor has played venues in America before. Though, when AF was touring, metal bands were still doing venues like BB Kings. The venues now are much larger (like how they did the Beacon Theatre here in NY this time around).