Nightwish UK tour reviews

Rickyboy999

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2012
Well, I was soooo looking forward to this, Ive heard that they have a reputation for being a great band live....and the added bonus that Floor was now in the band made me look forward to it even more.....anyway, I thought their would be a bigger intro/build up and some pyro (there wasn't any - did they have pyro on prev UK tours?) - anyway Floor sounded great, has a very graceful stage manner, musically the band were tight, sounded as good as ever, however, the set list was a major problem - too many slow songs, and I was dissapointed by them playing that jazz track - I thought something like "Whoever brings the night" or "Master Passion Greed" would of been a better choice, especially as they only played 1 track from DPP. I did expect a bit more intensity/energy from the band (poor set list didn't help), but the crowd seemed to love it, although initially there wasn't much energy or enthusiasm from the crowd at the front of the stage near the band.
Im guessing things are well in the Nightwish camp as the bands sense of humour did come through, it's just that they were more laid back than I expected, I just did not get the feeling of euphoria/buzz afterwards that I did when I saw Within Temptation last year. I thought the light show was average and I was expecting a ton of pyro.

On the plus side, Floor is on a different planet to Anette, she sounded amazing, and when she hit the high notes during "Ghost love score" the crowd screamed in appreciation, certainly was a magical moment.....but overall I'm slightly dissapointed, things just seemed to me to be subdued.....weird....

Floor sounded great, has a very graceful stage manner, musically the band were tight, sounded as good as ever, however, the set list was a major problem - too many slow songs, and I was dissapointed by them playing that jazz track - I thought something like "Whoever brings the night" or "Master Passion Greed" would of been a better choice, especially as they only played 1 track from DPP.

Um, wow. Because when I saw them the set was half DPP and half Imaginaerum. I thought Tuomas was trying to bury the Tarja era, but the immediate return of Tarja songs and the thinning of DPP tells me the set list was dictated by Anette's difficulty with the old material and Floor's ability to handle it.

As for the lethargy, well, they are in Blighty, after all. :)

Looks like they are rearranging the setlist to include songs that showcase Floor's vocal abilities better, and since she's only been with them a little more than a month, I imagine it will take a little fine-tuning before they get it right.

The setlist when she first came on board stuck pretty much to what they had been doing, but apparently she's been practicing older songs. I think the only DPP songs they did when I saw them in October was "Amaranth" and "The Islander". Mostly Once-era songs as far as the old-era stuff went ("Nemo", "Wish I Had an Angel", "Dark Chest of Wonders", "Planet Hell", "Higher Than Hope").

Good review; it is always nice to hear everyone's varying opinions. Welcome to the board! :wave:

I am going to change the topic name slightly so that anyone else with reviews from the UK shows know to post them here. :)

Um, wow. Because when I saw them the set was half DPP and half Imaginaerum. I thought Tuomas was trying to bury the Tarja era, but the immediate return of Tarja songs and the thinning of DPP tells me the set list was dictated by Anette's difficulty with the old material and Floor's ability to handle it.

As for the lethargy, well, they are in Blighty, after all. :)

My apologies, they also played The Islander