Nightwish at The Galaxy, Nov. 07, 2007.

kingtoad

Century Child
Oct 5, 2005
What an amazing show.

Overall thoughts on the venue:

First, I gotta say The Galaxy is pretty lenient on rules. Cameras allowed, but no flash photography? Awesome. This is the first metal show (more specifically, Nightwish show) that I've actually had the pleasure in taking pictures of a really good band. I wasn't sure if they were going to allow cameras or not so I just left mine in the car. The good thing is that my phone is equipped with a 2.0 megapixel camera, and I managed to take almost 200 pictures last night. The venue was pretty laid back, the security was pretty laid back, and there was plenty of room to roam around without accidentally groping everyone. I'd much prefer to see Nightwish at the House of Blues in Anaheim like they were scheduled, since it's a much larger stage, security is much more strict there however. The stage at The Galaxy was really small.

Overall thoughts on Paradise Lost:

I really haven't listened to much of Paradise Lost, but I really didn't dig their show that much. They played a full show... I think. It was a pretty long set.

Thoughts on Nightwish:

After the Tarja incident during I sort of lost a lot of interest in Nightwish, but I really gotta say they pulled off an amazing show last night and rekindled the love I have for this band. I miss Tarja, but Anette did a fantastic job. She's a great singer, and I think Nightwish did a good job on choosing her. Most of the songs they played were off their new album and I've only listened to a couple songs off of it, so most of the music I heard last night was new to me. I wish they played more songs from Wishmaster. They played a fantastic performance, there is not much else to say. Tuomas had a Jack Sparrow doll from Pirates tied to the front of his keyboard. :lol I really enjoyed my night and hopefully they'll be down again soon.

Thoughts on the crowd:
Crowd was very dull until towards the end of the show. I tried starting a few Nightwish chants during the intermission but people looked over at me like I'm some kind of a fucking idiot so I didn't bother the rest of the night. Crowd went completely wild when they started playing Wishmaster. It was a great song and grabbed the audiences attention perfectly.

Like I said, it was a great night! That is until I had to go home. All the freeways I take home were blocked off. 22, 405, 710. I had to take streets all the way to the 91 (for SoCalers that know where I'm talking about) and take the 110 home. I ended up coming home at 2am when I could have been home by midnight. So, I'm extremely tired, so forgive me if this mini-review is all over the place.

And now the pictures that I've promised. Camera phones suck, but I tried my best to hold my hand still to get a decent shot. Out of almost 200, I picked about 50ish of my best ones. Here's a few:

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

And here are the selected pictures I chose to upload:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...twish-concert-picture-thread.html#post6679192

If you see a picture you like, I have the 1600x1200 unedited version of it. Just toss me a PM with the image name and I'll send it to you. I had a hard time fitting Tuomas into a lot of pictures. They gave him really poor lighting. I took a lot of him as well but none of them were worthy of posting. Too much blur.

Too bad about the lukewarm crowd... I can't imagine not wanting to jump up and down to every song they played!

Cool that they were laid back there. Though to me, no flash photography is pretty rough. Still, at Philly they tried to say no camera's, period. They wanted me to check mine. Yeah right, as if i was going to do that. Unless a performer has a medical adversity to flashes, i am dead against any policy from anyplace or anyone that tries to say that a fan can't take pictures. Luckily New York had no such policies. Cameras, Flash, it was all good.

I think the general consensus among people (at least most that i've talked to about it) is that Paradise Lost is decent in small doses (2 - 3 songs) but it would be more fun have someone poke you with an awl or ice pick for an hour than sit through their entire set. At least the poking would keep you awake :p Don't get me wrong, they are a good band and when i saw them live i was singing the lyrics to a few of their songs, but man.. a 30 minute set would have gone over much better than the full treatment. So if you thought their set was long, you weren't alone.

As for Nightwish, very cool (that you had such a great time)! It's a testament not only to Anette, Tuomas, and the entire band for their ability to create amazing music, but to us American fans for being able to keep an open mind that this tour has been such a great success (i've been very proud that few, if any people have spewed negativity towards Anette during the concerts).