Other Nightwish Interviews/Articles

Desi: Thanks for that! We had a feeling Tuomas might be scoping out Disneyland and thought about coming into town a day early; but my friend couldn't get the day off work, and my boyfriend would have blown a gasket if I'd been gone another day. :lol: You know men, they can't survive without us! ;)

I love how Tuomas pretty much repeated everything he said in our interview about loving theme parks. :D

i would really like to read / hear some interviews with Nightwish after the split up with anette. however, i cannot find any. am i blind or are there just none?

Ok, I'm DYING of laughter trying to imagine him curled into a ball in the trunk of a Cadilac Seville with a pillow cushioning his head from whacking into the toolbox that usually ends up in the trunk, and splayed out on the spare tire. :worship:

I'd figure he could sleep in the glove box.

Ben: We posted this on our Facebook, but Tuomas and Jukka both made statements recently that they would not be addressing the split with Anette in any interviews at this time.

I am thinking that because of the movie, the two parties are still contractually obligated to each other, thus the reason behind why neither of them have made any real statements about the split. But this is just speculation on my part.

Michèle was kind enough to scan this article from Seiska magazine for us; she also gave me a rough translation in her e-mail. From what she says, the headline reads that "drinking made me depressed" (meaning Marco). She also mentions briefly that the article talks about how Marco feels his bass playing and overall life has improved since quitting alcohol 3 years ago.

He mentions the Imaginaerum movie of course, and says "once they had the means to materialize Tuomas' visions to make a movie, they thought that they should make a go at it, for the opportunity might not present itself in the future. The movie cost a great deal and demanded some personal investment by the bandmembers as well". He goes on to say how taxing touring is, and that he would like to play the Heavy Christmas tour "because it's a good time to stop and reflect with the family, eat well, and take a breather".

One of the captions read: "To drink should be joyous, but when you get more problems, then it's time to quit drinking, says a sober Marco." There is also mention of Floor: "We just want to get this tour over with the honour. Floor's only been with us for a short time. We'll have to see what the future has in store for us."

The small feature on Floor reads the following: "she took things into her own hands very quickly. That they didn't have time to rehearse, they just made a longer soundcheck than usual. That this took a lot of guts from Floor to get involved in the whole thing. Floor will perform with NW until next summer, at least".

Kiitos Michèle, for the scan and the translation!

Enigma, Pere...if either of you two are familiar with this article or have anything else you would like to add, please feel free!

309179_535864953090371_968237849_n.jpg

Kiitos, Pere; we actually put this on our Facebook page via the Roadrunner Records site. I'll merge this into the "Nightwish articles/interviews" thread. :)

We also added another scan (courtesy of Michèle) of another tabloid article, this time featuring Tuomas and his longtime girlfriend, Johanna Kurkela. I was a little "on the fence" about sharing this, but in the end I decided to do it because it mentions that she guested on "Song of Myself", which a lot of fans might not have known. Secondly, considering we are a fan community in a country where Nightwish are not huge celebrities like they are in Finland, I thought this would give fans a unique look at just how big of superstars they are in other parts of the world.

tumblr_mk1lnugSwn1rzfnfbo1_1280.jpg

To give a brief translation of the article; it simply states that after four years of togetherness, Johanna has moved into Tuomas’ house as of the end of last year. Although the couple never publicly addresses their relationship, it has been an “open secret” for a long time.

The article also goes on to mention that they have both collaborated together musically; each of them guesting on each other’s projects. Most people may know about Tuomas’ contributions to Johanna’s album in 2009, but many may not have known that she actually recites part of the poem in the Imaginaerum track “Song of Myself”.

Some other quick mentions in the article: Johanna stated that the reason why it took her so long to set up house with Tuomas was because of their constant touring schedules, and kept her own apartment while Tuomas is out on the road. But now that both of them have some “free time” in-between tours (in May for Nightwish; in June for Johanna), now seemed as good a time as any.

Kiitos (again) Michèle!
sHa_thumbsup3.gif

Edit: We have arrived! Looks like the Johanna Kurkela Tumblr page has Liked our scan and reblogged it too! Wow!!!

Until now I could think of no reason why they wouldn't take Floor on permanently. Now I see Tuomas' girlfriend is a singer. Since Nightwish is like his diary, I wonder if he considers someone near and dear to him as a good candidate. Especially since she now lives with him in his home, where he completes all his music.

True, but Johanna (like Floor) already has her own well-established career, and may not necessarily want to give that all up to join Nightwish. Also, from what the Finnish translation suggested, it was because of their constant touring schedules that kept them from moving in together, and she wanted to maintain her own separate place because of this. So she may not want to "mix business with pleasure", so to speak. There are bands who have made it work (like WT), and still others who started out in romantic relationships but have managed to keep it professional (like Lacuna Coil). I can definitely see the pros and cons to both.

Holopainen talks about his Scrooge project in Finnish for YLE:
http://yle.fi/uutiset/don_rosa_ja_n...ohon_-_levy_tulee_olemaan_kummallinen/6593297

Selected bits:

The album will be "marginal and strange".

"I've been thinking about this for 14 years and now at last there was time and resources available to actually do it. It's like doing motion picture music without a movie. It's not composed so that you'd turn the page in the album at a specific point. I always create music as well when I read the album. The recording sessions with the London Symphony Orchestra will begin in late August. After that I'll go to Scotland with a friend to do some ambience recordings in heaths and pubs because Scrooge was after all from there."

Holopainen describes the style as a mix of movie, chamber and ethno music.
"This won't be metal or rock. There will be no drum kit nor electric guitars, just orchestra, percussions and piano through and through."

(edited for typos)