OSA presents: An Interview With Nightwish!

Desi: That's fantastic news! I just took a look at it, and sometimes I can't believe that we did this. :lol:

BadDaditood: You're welcome! This interview was so fun to do. I've done many interviews for Sonic Cathedral, but they've always been online (via e-mail or IM), so this was my first face-to-face interview. No, I wasn't nervous at all!
1blushudder.gif

They were either just questions that came up as sort of "tie-in questions" to some of those that were fan-submitted (like for the fan-submitted question about performing with an orchestra, I took the question a step further and asked if the band was set on doing it only with London Symphony, or if they would consider another orchestra if there were an opportunity); or they were questions that more than one person asked that was in the general vein (the most obvious being when they are returning to North America). Rather than read out that many names, I just added that as a "general" question. You don't realize how fast time flies when doing these interviews; I came in with a bunch of questions, so when I heard I had 30 minutes, I thought, "oh, we have a good chance of getting through a lot of them!" But when he is talking and explaining some things, the general flow of conversation leads to other questions that fit in more to what he's elaborating on. So this was definitely why I did not want to do these questions based on 'first come, first serve', because we didn't know who was coming to the interview, or what they were going to tell us. Once the answers started coming and the conversation led towards other questions that were related, we just kept going with them until the interview was over. But there are a lot more that we just couldn't get to!

The only "general" question that didn't fall under that umbrella in some form was the very first question. That was my own personal question to Tuomas; I have always wanted to ask him about his time here in the U.S., so when this show was first announced, that was the first question that came into my mind. But I put it in the general questions area because I was already there; no need to elaborate that it is me who is asking! :lol: It was more important to me to make sure I got all the fan names right and made sure to mention the fan clubs they belonged to. ;)

Desi was fortunate enough to record the question that she got to ask Tuomas "off the record" after the interview was officially over. Since she has transcribed it to me, I have gone ahead and added it onto the interview page. It's towards the end, just before the last question. Thanks, Desi!

Hi C!

Thanks so much for sharing the interview with us! I'm glad you had a lot of fun and chatted with Tuomas in person! This is such a silly question, but when Tuomas said "next fall" for the North American tour, do you think he meant this upcoming fall, or fall 2013 (T_T)? Also, thanks for asking my question - I was surprised that it even got chosen. Ah, so you actually read off the fan names/locations/clubs? Haha, I suppose I was the most vague of them all. Anyway, it was very kind of you to offer us the opportunity to ask questions. :)

Desi was fortunate enough to record the question that she got to ask Tuomas "off the record" after the interview was officially over. Since she has transcribed it to me, I have gone ahead and added it onto the interview page. It's towards the end, just before the last question. Thanks, Desi!

No problem! I'm just glad we were able to include it. I thought that was a really good answer! It was pretty awesome to also be able to ask it myself. Thanks for having me do that! :D

Sherry: We're almost "99% certain" that he means *this* fall. ;)

And thank *you* for sending in a question! Yours was a good example of how the interview was a sort of discussion that naturally led to some of the questions that were asked. Talking about the show that was about to take place just automatically led to asking about what they'd like to see out of the audience; it wasn't vague at all!
2thumbsupsmiley.gif

A great interview, congrats, C & co. I'm really glad for you guys, I'm sure it was a memorable occasion personally for you, and hopefully this gives momentum to OSA.

Thanks C! So many other people said we'd have to wait until 2013 for a U.S. tour, but now this gives me hope that we won't have to wait so long. :D

It's now on Blabbermouth for larger metal audiences :) Kewl!

and on BraveWords

On a personal note (as in, not speaking for the OSA with this remark): It does bug me a little that of all the things these places could have picked up on: details about the movie, upcoming tour potentials, what happens? The headline for both is a negative element. I guess that is what grabs attention.

EDIT: Still, It's awesome seeing the interview get picked up. You all gave us so many great questions.

I do agree Tramz. But unfortunately people tend to value a good news (relatively) for $10 and a bad news for $100... harsh world it is.

Then again, any news is better that no news. The band needs all publicity available in the USA and those who bother to read the interview will find something new and interesting in it. Fans around the globe and also many who aren't fans yet will read it for sure.

C. and Desi did a marvelous job with pulling everything together so smoothly. :)

C. and Desi did a marvelous job with pulling everything together so smoothly. :)

Absolutely. When C and I were going over questions, we were trying to sort them in a way that would make for the best interview, given whatever time constraints may have existed. For example: If someone had submitted 2 questions, we chose one and kept the other in reserve. But it was hard going because of all the excellent questions. We established a rough list and a sort of "ask priority" if you will, but the final choices happened after they left for it all. So both of them deserve a lot of credit for pulling together such a solid interview.

Yes, I can imagine your troubles and the amount of pondering when building a frame for the interview, especially when you didn't even know who would be present to answer the questions. Definitely was great that Tuomas himself took the time and came to meet the ladies, of all the guys and the girl he is the one who has the least restrictions to drop a few yet unveiled tidbits about the things to come.

Yes, I can imagine your troubles and the amount of pondering when building a frame for the interview, especially when you didn't even know who would be present to answer the questions. Definitely was great that Tuomas himself took the time and came to meet the ladies, of all the guys and the girl he is the one who has the least restrictions to drop a few yet unveiled tidbits about the things to come.

That whole day was crazy. Everything came together so smoothly, but I was really concerned for a moment when I went to the signing and Tuomas was not there. I thought "oh no maybe he's sick?" and "OH NO what if he doesn't come to the interview?" because the majority of the questions had been directed at him! And then when we got to the venue and everything, we really still had no clue what we were walking into until we got into the room with Tuomas! The guy from Roadrunner REALLY took care of us! I was so excited to be able to tag along and help! And C was so professional in the interview! I was glad to be sitting next to her. :)

I was especially touched when the time was running out and Tuomas said "one more question!".. and I was able to ask him mine. Really he was a sweetheart.

^Yes, that day was insane, and I'm glad I had someone as level-headed as Desi to get through it with me! When I got the text only moments before going in saying "enjoy your time with Tuomas", I was really relieved, because I'd say about 90% of the questions were for him. :lol:

And the crew from Roadrunner was excellent. I can't say enough about them. A huge help to us, from beginning to end. :)

No, it had nothing at all to do with what questions were sent first/last.

As Tramz already mentioned in the previous post, there was a council meeting held so the others could get a look at the questions, and to sort of organize them as well as we could without knowing who in the band would be at the interview, anyway! :lol: Obviously questions about the album, film, and tour were put at the top of the list, and then from there, we made sure to choose at least one question from each person who chose two. Again, because we didn't know the time limit of the interview or who would be there, we wanted to make sure we had a question from everyone on hand.

Because we had organized it this way beforehand, there was no way for me to remember the order of which questions came to me first, so this was definitely not a "first-come, first-serve" basis. Even if it had, we would have still had to omit some questions, as many were for Marco or Anette as well.

Basically, the first question, even if it was mine, seemed the most obvious, so I went with it and just sort of let questions go from there. As he was talking about his time in the U.S., the most natural question after that was about when they would be returning here for a tour. Then discussion of that led to questions about the show that night, discussion of the secret show, etc. When Tuomas was talking about his time in the U.S., Desi's question came up because as he was mentioning Kansas, I told him that Desi was from there. He seemed interested in this fact, and that was when she asked her question.

Then, when discussing the show that night, the next question that seemed to come naturally was Sherry's question, which in turn led to talk about the possibility of doing a show with an orchestra. So on and so on. And also, since so few interviews had discussion about the movie, we wanted to include questions about the film, so we also went through those questions. Once we talked about the movie and the tour, we went to questions about the album and songs in particular (we thought that was a good time to bring up the question about SLS), which led to questions about bonus tracks and if there would be any for the album, which in turn led to discussion of previous albums. Then his talk about not wanting to go back to DPP era opened up the topic of which songs the band didn't like playing live. Then as we saw we were reaching the end of the interview, I went with a "trivial" question, to at least have one question that didn't center on Nightwish-related things, and then I made sure to ask about when they would be playing Australia and South America, since I got several questions from people about those two locations (particularly Brazil in regards to South America)...hopefully you can sort of see how the flow of conversation led to certain questions. It had nothing to do at all with when they were submitted or anything like that. And the time goes very quickly too; we had hoped that 30 minutes would have been enough time to at least get one question from every person who sent in something, but we didn't even scratch the surface, to be honest. We had so many great questions left over, so the questions that weren't used were not because they weren't as good, but simply because we either ran out of time, or the question didn't fit into where the conversation was going as much. I hope I have explained this as best I could.

Also, because there were so many interesting questions left over, I have kept all of them on file, and may use them somewhere down the line in the instance of future interviews. I am not trying to say we will have more interviews after this, but things appeared to go well, so you never know! So if we are lucky enough to do this again, these other questions will find a home. They have not been discarded or forgotten about, and they were not used because they weren't any good, or because the questions that were used were necessarily better. Quite the opposite; I wish we'd had more time to get to everyone because so many of these questions were well-thought out and insightful. But that gives us incentive to try for another interview someday, doesn't it? ;)

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but I just noticed that the NW facebook page had the link to Roadrunner's excerpts from the interview! How exciting. It seems to have generated some good conversation on their page.