Other Nightwish Interviews/Articles

Hi,

I’m going to try to sum it up for you. Please note that I’m just trying to sum it up, it’s not a word-for-word translation.

Interviewer: How does a musician feel when a new album is released as to the way the fans will react to it?

Jukka: It’s always exciting and a bit nerve-racking. A lot of time, energy and dreams have been invested in this new album, more so for Tuomas than for everyone else. But let’s see what the fans say about it.

Inerviewer: What did you do during the 2 years that you were on break; did you do a lot of drumming during this time?

Jukka: I’m probably one of the Finnish drummers that drums least between albums, I should be rehearsing more. I had one week of intensive training with one of the best drummers in Finland, Kai Ahto. Kai Ahto also helped me with the drumming part on “SLS”. Jazz drumming was totally new to me, but it was very nice to try new things.

I also spent a lot of time with the family, since we had our third child, a daughter. The two companies, NW shop and EMP took a lot of my time and it’s a full-day’s work dealing with all that it entails running both companies.

Interviewer: How much of your free time does it take to manage the Nightshow and EMP while on tour?

Jukka: Nowadays it’s easier because you almost always have Internet access and can check and answer mails.

Interviewer: So how much has it changed now that albums sales are dropping (because of the Internet and people downloading); has the fan merchandise part become more important financially?

Jukka: Well thankfully dropping in albums sales hasn’t played a big part for us (yet). But fan merchandise are sold less now than for instance 6 years ago. Now the merchandise is 1/5 of the total earnings, whereas it was 3/5 some 6 years ago.

Interviewer: Is it hard to estimate how much merchandise to bring along on tour?

Jukka: we have 2 big trucks with us on tour, so it’s easy to get the merchandise with us.

Interviewer: How many people do you go on tour with? It’s a big machinery by now.

Jukka: We’re about a total of 45 people, and then there are a lot of local people helping with this and that at the various venues.

Interviewer: You have your own chef with you.

Jukka: There was a time that we questioned if we really need that kind of luxury, but at the end of the day it was decided that it was a good idea. It’s hard to order food for 45 people while on tour, and it’s hard to get healthy food; to eat Bic Mac meals/pizza every day is not a good solution.

Interviewer: And the chef can provide vegetarian food for you.

Jukka: Right. He/she sort of always takes into consideration what kind of food people want (this very loosely translated).

Interviewer: Why has neither NW singers been part of the company (is it Live Nation?), even though every other member of NW has stock in the company.

Jukka: Tarja didn’t want to be part of it and now it’s so big that it’s very complicated to make Anette part of it (also very loosely translated).

Then they’re talking about the up-coming shows and how the ticket sales have been good so far.
Jukka says that the size of the venues are basically the same as on DPP tour, though some are bigger.

Interviewer: Where in the world do you enjoy to play most?

Jukka: It’s hard to point out any certain places, it depends on the crowd, the atmosphere. All shows are great in their own way.

Interviewer: Is there any place in the world you haven’t played yet?

Jukka: We haven’t played in India or Africa. There’s been talk of playing in South-Africa. And then India.

They also talk about the amount of shows on this tour. Jukka said that they played over 200 shows last tour and at the
end of the tour everyone was pretty worn out. They decided that this time they’ll do less shows in order to be able to
enjoy each show.

Interviewer: How much do you keep in touch with your family while on tour?

Jukka: Via computer, but there’s a lot of missing going around. But we’re sort of used to it by now and it’s not a big problem.

The interviewer thanks Jukka and Jukka thanks the interviewer.

Well done, Bianca! If you don't mind, a small correction though: the drum guy's last name is Hahto.

Here you go, boys and girls:

Matkaan magazine 8/2012

King of Contrasts
It’s the contrasts that make a happy life for Tuomas Holopainen, the captain of Nightwish.

The Nightwish keyboardist and song-writer Tuomas Holopainen arrives in the pub to the minute at the agreed time. He’s wearing dark jeans and a brown leather jacket, with a huge face of Donald Duck gazing from under it.

Nightwish returned a few weeks ago from its first European tour to promote the Imaginaerum album (2011) and has performed for more than a hundred thousand fans in large arenas. The world-class band’s every-day life on tour is often something between circus and chaos due to a large number of variables in play, and anything can happen. This is one of the reasons why Holopainen, when at home, enjoys quiet and unhurried free time.

“I like my mornings long. Nothing is as horrible as to wake up in a hurry,” says Tuomas.

Romantic Composer

When Nightwish was starting out as a touring band in the beginning of 1998, it had a sound technician and a single roadie. During the latest European tour, the technical crew amounted to 50 people. Three busses and four trucks are now required to transport the crew and the equipment.

“I feel compelled to make songs and to include extremely personal things in my lyrics; otherwise I cannot function as a member of the human species. It feels like my head is exploding and overwhelmed if I can’t get them out somehow. Then again, I take it to the extremes to keep my privacy. Sharing grief makes my own grief easier when 5,000 people are singing along to a very personal song during a gig.”

“That’s the only way keep music and lyrics genuine. Folks can relate to genuine feelings. People come up to me and say that this has given them comfort because I feel the same way. It makes me feel good when I have been able to touch and make an impact on others while not trying to touch and make an impact.”

Passionate Writer

An item on Holopainen’s to-do-list is currently a theme album based on Don Rosa’s comic album Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, planned to be realized next year after Nightwish has returned from its tours. The album will mainly be instrumental, atmospherical music to be created with Pip Williams, Nightwish’s trusted orchestrator. This will be preceded by the premiere of Nightwish’s own Imaginaerum movie.

There have been many turning-point experiences along Tuomas’s career. One of the finest ones was the recording of the orchestral parts for the Once album (2004) in London. It was the first time when Nightwish cooperated with the musicians of the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

“I didn’t know what to expect. I only knew that they are really hotshot musicians and that Pip Williams is a legendary figure. The first song recorded by the orchestra was Ghost Love Score. It was an incredible experience. The guys had never even heard the song, they just played out of the sheets! I wetted my eyes and had to swallow a bit, it sounded so amazing. I never cry publicly, but there I was thinking ‘Oh bloody hell, I can’t believe this!’”

(Edit: I really had to add this one; Matkaan apparently shares content with Metro Live http://metrolive.fi/jutut/artikkeli/9586/matkaan-lehti-nightwish-kitaristi-nukkui-auton/, which has basically the same interview on its website, but includes the following detail that Matkaan leaves out and I find rather amusing. It's about the initially modest touring conditions compared with today's huge outfit.)

“In the early days, we drove to gigs with my dad’s car. The gear was in a trailer, and our guitarist Emppu slept in the trunk.”

“In the early days, we drove to gigs with my dad’s car. The gear was in a trailer, and our guitarist Emppu slept in the trunk.”
Meh, he probably had plenty of room in there - Just poke a few air holes and give him a little plush turtle to hug and he'll be good to go. :lol:

Meh, he probably had plenty of room in there - Just poke a few air holes and give him a little plush turtle to hug and he'll be good to go. :lol:

Ok, I'm DYING of laughter trying to imagine him curled into a ball in the trunk of a Cadilac Seville with a pillow cushioning his head from whacking into the toolbox that usually ends up in the trunk, and splayed out on the spare tire. :worship:

Kiitos, Pere! We've added this to our Facebook so all the OSAers can read your awesome translation.

Seriously, I would have thought that bit about the album based on Scrooge McDuck was an April Fool's joke or something, if it had been about anyone else. But because it's Tuomas...I totally believe it. :lol:

Taimi: You've never seen the picture of Emppu in the dryer? Google it!!!

Kiitos, Pere! We've added this to our Facebook so all the OSAers can read your awesome translation.

Seriously, I would have thought that bit about the album based on Scrooge McDuck was an April Fool's joke or something, if it had been about anyone else. But because it's Tuomas...I totally believe it. :lol:

Taimi: You've never seen the picture of Emppu in the dryer? Google it!!!

:lol: Hell yes I have! I've also got pictures on my harddrive of him stuffed in a freezer... he's incredibly flexible, obviously.

A new sort of interview with Tuomas with Noisecreep. They followed him around Disney's California Adventureland. It is mainly about Disney related things. A cute video of him on some rides etc.
It is posted to our Tumblr also! :)

http://www.noisecreep.com/2012/10/10/nightwish-tuomas-holopainen-disney/

Here's the video (It's actually pretty hilarious watching him ride some of the rides):

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool interview. Tuomas is very much a kid at heart, isn't he? Of course then there's this:

Disneyworld Orlando is just over an hour's drive from where I live. And he's going to be hanging out there for a month early-ish next year.

*boggles*

*resists the urge to research which Disney hotels are within walking distance of the parks*

*resists the urge to plan a few random Disney trips...*

That's going to be somewhat maddening. :Smokedev:

A new sort of interview with Tuomas with Noisecreep. They followed him around Disney's California Adventureland. It is mainly about Disney related things. A cute video of him on some rides etc.
It is posted to our Tumblr also! :)

http://www.noisecreep.com/2012/10/10/nightwish-tuomas-holopainen-disney/

Here's the video (It's actually pretty hilarious watching him ride some of the rides):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgO3ydIZRHU

You beat me to it I was just signing on to post this hahaha! He was pretty adorable on the rides.