North American tour reviews

AmaranthNightphoenix

New Metal Member
Feb 25, 2012
Florida
www.nightphoenix.com
The show at House of Blues Orlando last night was my first Nightwish concert ever...and to say I was blown away doesn't come close to describing it. (This is going to be very long, not the just concert itself but the story of the whole night…just to warn you. Skip if you don't feel like reading a tome). *Edited to add pictures*.

I broke down and did the VIP thing at the last minute, because I had artwork I really wanted to pass on to them and I figured that would be my only real chance to do it. They were a little late coming out, and there were like 70 people in line, so they kind of had to crank through us. It was worth it...got them to sign the original of one of my drawings (which is going in a frame, like, today), and briefly shake hands with all of them. I must have looked a little wild-eyed, because Marco (who was next to last in line) looked at me with some concern and asked how I was, and then he smiled when I said I was nervous as hell. Told me to relax. I didn't get any pictures because there just wasn't time to fiddle with my camera.

I could have gotten on the very front row, but I opted for second row keyboard side (front row keyboard side was already taken, surprise surprise). House of Blues is all standing room in the center, and pretty small, so that was bloody well close enough. (Literally ten feet from Tuomas' keyboards.) The only bummer was that the keyboards were set up directly in front of me, so I couldn't really get any good shots of Tuomas' face...although it was so smoky and light-dazzling in there that I'm not sure I got "good" pictures of any of them. Next time, I'm going to make it a point to get a spot a little more towards direct center.

Kamelot came on. I knew absolutely nothing about them going in, and I'm still not sure if they're my cup of tea, but damn, do they know how to put on a show and work a crowd. The girls' costumes in particular were epic. I felt a bit guilty not knowing any of the songs, but it was still fun.

alissa_kamelot_web.jpg

Crimson Tide started and Nightwish came on. They pulled up some blue lights on the stage, and it was hazy, so watching Tuomas' silhouette walk up to his keyboards with the lights and fog behind him and me being Right There...phew.

keyboard_cross_web.jpg

They went right into Storytime...which was loud. I mean, I knew it was going to be, but the sheer volume still gave me a "whoa" moment. I have to admit, this one was the most disappointing to me, personally, but it's my favorite song off Imaginaerum and one of the few that I just can't imagine anyone but Anette singing. I honestly could not tell you, quality-wise, how well Floor did...I couldn't hear her well enough over the band and everyone else singing along. It just so happened that I was on the side of the room where the lead vocals were coming through the weakest (I noticed this with Kamelot, too...the gals were always loud and clear, but Tommy on the leads...not so much). But that's not to say it didn't rock :)

Dark Chest of Wonders was next. Floor nailed this one. Lots of instrumental bits, thus lots of headbanging and flying hair. I respect anyone who can do this without hurting themselves. I think Marco paused and introduced Floor between this one and the next, but I might be remembering that wrong. Segued into Wish I Had an Angel. I have kind of a personal history with this song, as I once had a thing for someone who fit it waaaay too well. Marco's intensity on "I'm in love with my lust/ burning angel wings to dust" was shiver-inducing (as was Tuomas singing along with his eyes closed).

Almost immediately went into Amaranth. I was prepared to dislike this one, as I'd seen YouTube videos of this done live and was like "eh". Was pleasantly surprised, as it rocked the hardest yet. (Harder than Angel? To me, yes. I have no idea how or why). Again, like in Storytime, I couldn't always distinguish Floor clearly over everyone else around me singing, but from what I could hear, she sounded pretty good. (Yay, because Amaranth is one of my all-time favorite Nightwish songs. As my username might indicate). The guys were phenomenal. I love how much they grin at each other.

Tuomas started the intro to Ever Dream and I heard the slow "omg they're doing THIS one" realization wash over the crowd in a wave. This is a song that I as a writer have characters and plotlines attached to, so hearing it live felt like an ode to the people in my head. Floor was fantastic again (she tends to be on the older material).

Then they pulled out the stools and did Slow, Love, Slow. Considering that this is another one I have a hard time imagining anyone but Anette's voice on, Floor did really well. One botched lyric on "this deep sigh coiled around my chest"...I think she said "neck" instead...but other than that, she carried it. Marco's bass and Tuomas' piano together, by themselves, without the guitar and drums drowning them out was nice, too.

They kicked it back into high gear with I Want My Tears Back. This song rocked the house. Didn't take any pictures because damn, I didn't want to fiddle with the camera. I think this may have been my favorite song of the whole set. I was literally out of breath and giddy when it ended.

After that, Jukka came out from behind the drums and started the beat for The Islander. Tuomas put on a hat (Love that hat: the tall crimson-ish one with the two little chains in front). Marco had everyone hold up their cell phone screens (I got to use the Zippo lighter app on my phone for the first time. Yes, there's an app for that). As my phone was also my camera, I had to do a little switching back and forth during this song. I have a particular fondness for The Islander, as I love sailing ships and old sailing stories. I've been sailing several times on a schooner up in Maine and this song really takes me back there, gets me in that mood. I could easily put myself in the Islander's shoes.

Acoustic Nemo was next, and I'll be honest, I almost like this version better than the original. Some songs don't need the full metal sound behind them and this is one of them. Troy came back onstage and Floor slipped away, so I was pretty sure Last of the Wilds was up. This one was pure fun, and you could feel how much the guys were loving it. My face was kind of sore towards the end and I realized this was because I was grinning the whole time. Their smiles were contagious.

It was at this point I observed that I had 20% of my phone battery remaining, but I was determined to shoot until the thing died.

Most epic speaking moment: Right after Last of the Wilds, the lights went down, came up slow and red under Marco's face as he announces, in that creepy voice he can do, that now we're going all the way down to HELL. Backtrack to Planet Hell starts, lights go back down, come up again as Jukka starts on the drums. By now the crowd is over the moon. Oh, that song was awesome. Lyrically, it's one of Nightwish's most powerful songs, IMO, and hearing so many people sing/screaming "Welcome to hell, little saint!"…that was pure magic in a dark, crazy way.

planethell_web.jpg

Ghost River was next. Like Scaretale, Ghost River is one of those fantastically dark Nightwish songs that in my saner moments, I wonder why I like it so much. Floor was fantastic again; she and Marco did the call and answer bits perfectly. My favorite moment was when the crowd became the kids' choir: "We will go down, we will drown, drown, deeper down/ the river wild will be our last ride"…gave me shivers. Tuomas looked up at us all during that part and gave this, I dunno, maybe you'd call it a Maestro smile. Sort of a mix of awed "What the hell have I created?" and a fierce "Fuck yeah!". One of those split second looks that just kind of knocks the breath out of you.

Short pause, and then Song of Myself started. On one hand, it's one of my favorites, but on the other…I knew from looking at past set lists that it meant the show was nearly over. At the sort of fade-off at the end Tuomas just kind of kept his hands on the keyboard, then Jukka came back in…and because I hadn't actually listened to the song in so long it took me a moment to recognize it.

Ghost Love Score.

This is one I never imagined I'd hear live…up until last week because it was one I thought they'd never play live. Knowing they'd played it earlier on the tour gave me a bit of hope, but still…oh boy, it was epic. Floor really shined in this one, although there may have been a lyric or two slightly off. (Hell, I flub that one all the time when I sing it in the shower.) Afterwards they thanked all of their roadies and crew, and Kamelot, and Marco announced the "last ride of the night, last ride of the North American tour", which was of course Last Ride of the Day.

Right at the "magic of the moment, abracadabra" part, Kamelot came back out on stage, which was pretty freaking awesome.

kamelotnightwish_web.jpg

tommyandtuomas_web.jpg

Nightwish and Kamelot finished the song together and then took their bow (which was both cool and made it difficult to get them all in one shot). Last ride of the tour, indeed.

the_bow_web.jpg

Then the curtain came across and I realized my feet were numb and my ears were ringing, and I had less than 10% of my phone battery left. And I did not want to move. It was like a fugue of "whoa".

Best overheard quote of the night: "Holy shit, she's tall."

Overall observations on the show itself:

The guys make weird faces at each other and at the crowd all. the. time. Seriously, I kept bursting out laughing every time I'd come back to watching one of the guys because inevitably, they'd be making a face. I have never seen a band that does this. I think it's a reflection of just how much fun they're having up there.

funny_face_web.jpg

I wish they'd played The Crow, the Owl, and the Dove (and I would have loved to hear Escapist, but that's another one I'd be nervous to hear Floor try). But eh, Ghost Love Score. Trade-offs, you know?

Tuomas is not kidding when he says he keeps his eyes closed onstage a lot. It's both endearing and frustrating ("Your eyes are closed in every single picture! Gah!), and boy does he get into the spirit of whatever song they're playing. (They all do, but he really does). It's intense. He reminds me of the Phantom, in how he's always mouthing the lyrics along with whoever is singing, and they're his lyrics, it's his songs...but not his voice.

"I am the mask you wear...
...it's me they hear
your spirit and my voice
in one combined..."

And I suppose it can't be easy playing Christine to his Phantom, in a sense...which does make me wonder who the next Christine will ultimately be and how she'll fare.

After the show, I went outside and found a bunch of people waiting around the area where the tour bus would come out. (Downtown Disney + getting tour buses in and out = complicated). I knew I had an hour and a half drive home but I just wasn't ready to go yet, so I decided to stick around and see if the band would come out for a bit. This was around 10:30ish. (Adrenaline highs are awesome. Bed, pah! Haven't eaten since noon, pah! I feel none of it.)

An extremely slow hour and a half crept by, during which I eavesdropped on some interesting conversations and watched the crew move Nightwish's equipment into the other bus. (The lift on the back of the bus they use to raise stuff up squeaks and squeals. A lot. Like a whistling teapot or something. I found that amusing). Around midnightish, Nightwish's bus is ready to move out (we could see them in there through the windows), but they were having some sort of issue with it and so it sat there for quite a while. Marco got out for a cigarette, which was about the time they got the bus moving…without him. Someone tried to snag him to sign something, but he kind of gestured helplessly at the departing bus and started half-walking, half-jogging along beside it until it was out into the parking lot...with all us watching and thinking "They DO realize he's not on the bus...right??" That was kind of funny.

The few of us that were left walked around the corner and saw that the bus hadn't actually left yet…they kind of pulled up to the curb and stopped. Now at this point, I'd kind of given up hope that anyone would come out, but as someone pointed out, if they were just going to leave they would have by then. So we waited, the 11 or so of us crazy stalker fans left. Finally Jukka came out and chatted with some of us, and sometime later Tuomas, Floor and Marco all came out.

By now my phone is utterly dead and I've resigned myself to not getting any more pictures. I told myself I was just going to shake Tuomas' hand and say thank you for a freaking awesome show…if I got to do that much, I'd be happy. Well, at the last moment this couple I'd loaned a sharpie to offered to take my picture with him and email it to me. Oh hell yes. I shook his hand and told him it was my first show, etc, and he smiled that quiet smile. Now I'm shy as hell in person, so I had to be goaded into asking for a picture after that. Seeing this, he kind of jokingly says "come into my arms"…in that Finnish accent…holy freaking crap. I think I squeaked something resembling "okay". Literally squeaked. Like a mouse. But the picture turned out good, even if I do kind of have this deer in headlights look about my eyes. (Can you freaking blame me? "Come into my arms", indeed. Geeez.)

tuomasandme_web.jpg

If there was one particularly heart-stopping moment of the night, that was it. Hands down.

I got pictures with both Marco and Floor as well. Marco is one of those people that just somehow puts you at ease just being around them, and Floor is really sweet. (She remembered I was "the artist". Ha!) I left after that (as it was now nearly 1 in the morning and I still had to drive), so I don't know if Emppu ever came out.

In all…I'd have to say the whole night was probably one of the best birthday presents EVER.

Since this looks like the topic for it, I'm going to change the topic name slightly. I'm also going to read your review and then add on mine after I have shortened it enough to fit the maximum characters allotted here at the forum. :lol:

Everyone has been asking me for my reviews, and I'm sorry they have taken so long to write. But they'll be up here shortly!!!

Sounds like your Nightwish birthday was as great as mine!!! Oh, and you can post pictures. Just use the "img" tag and copy/paste the address of wherever your photos are hosted. I'll use my review as an example (I'm trying to edit it right now, as it was too long when I tried to post it earlier).

Wow, you got to meet the band before and after the show! We were going to try and wait outside after the San Diego show, but one of the folks in our group was not feeling well so we left. Unlike you, Jukka did come out, but he didn't stick around and ran off pretty quickly to the bus. :(

Very cool about Kamelot coming out to join them onstage. They were also fantastic live and I'm glad I got the chance to see them as well. This tour was amazing, considering all the setbacks. I wish they'd come back one more time before it ends, but I doubt it. :(

You know? I had the same problem hearing Floor at the Anaheim show. I figured it was either poor sound or the people around me were singing so loud. It was a little of both, I guess, because I could hear her perfectly at San Diego.

Great review, btw! Glad to hear you had a great time.

Thanks for a very good review! I'm not going to the show here in Helsinki, but it feels like I was almost at the House of Blues Orlando after reading your review. I heard some stuff about a sound technician doing quite a bad job earlier, maybe that is the reason that you didn't hear some of vocals that well at the show. Also, if people around you are singing along loudly, that would make it hard to hear the vocals too. But you had no problems hearing Marco's vocals?

Marco was loud and clear the whole show, but he was also a lot closer to me. Could have been a weak mic, or maybe they may have mixed the room so that Floor's vocals occupied more the right/center area, and Marco's left/center. I dunno.

The audience singing wasn't actually all that loud compared to some concerts I've been to, which was why it was kind of surprising that I couldn't always hear Floor over it.

^Same here; I could hear Marco just fine and the audience wasn't singing any louder than I'm used to hearing them at shows, so it had to be something in the sound booth or the volume of Floor's microphone. Because the following night in San Diego, I heard her loud and clear along with Marco. Or maybe sitting close to the stage has something to do with it? I wasn't as close in San Diego and was able to hear everything. But I was in the same area as you were (in front of Tuomas) in Anaheim, and couldn't hear Floor hardly at all.

Well, I guess I can use this opportunity to better explain things...

You guessed it...the time has come again for another of my super-long and very detailed reviews. Those who are not crazy about long and detailed reviews should probably run for the hills right about now. :lol:

That being said, those of you who are gluttons for punishment—I mean, those of you who *do* enjoy reading my reviews for whatever strange reason—put your feet up, curl up under your favorite blanket, and settle in for a lengthy tale about yet another OSA gathering with Nightwish in sunny Southern California! :) Sorry it took so long to write, but it seems ever since I got home I've been on the go and haven't had time to write! I only hope my memory hasn't deteriorated with age!

Part One: Anaheim, CA; October 5th (Best Birthday Ever!)

I woke up before the 5 a.m. alarm, so my birthday started nice and early. My ride would be at my house early too; I was carpooling with a fellow Nightwish fan that I originally met at the "ancient" forum, but who has been visiting the OSA since about '05 or '06 (out of respect to her privacy, and to avoid continuously calling her "my friend", so as to not confuse readers with other "friends" throughout the story, I will refer to her as DreamerDeceiver, as that was her name on the old board).

Anyway, we were scheduled to leave at 7 a.m., but DreamerDeceiver and the boys had a bit of a late start; so I had some extra time, which I was glad to have. It gave me a few minutes more to sneak a piece of the decadent chocolate birthday cake that another friend of mine brought over the night before! I figured I wouldn't be home to eat the rest of it, so while it isn't exactly the breakfast of champions, one little piece at 6:30 a.m. wouldn't kill me, right? Perhaps this unexpected sweet treat at the start of the day was just a precursor of things to come.

As I was getting ready to leave and wait outside, I saw Zellie's book sitting on my desk. I had originally intended to bring it to the meet-and-greet to give to Anette, but at that point I didn't know what I was going to do with it. Desi had suggested maybe trying to find a way to mail it to her through her management, and I had been toying with the idea of just keeping it for myself, as I had not bought my own copy yet. However, as I caught this last glimpse of the book sitting there, a vision of Zellie floated through my mind of her wearing her "Finnish Chin Milkers" t-shirt back at the Vintage Vinyl signing 5 years ago. Obviously the shirt was a reference to Marco's beard, so it came to me at that instant: I'll give the book to Marco. I didn't think Zellie would mind. Sure, I could have kept it for myself, but I am a strange bird who actually likes giving gifts more than I like receiving them. So I grabbed it on the way out and to Anaheim it would go.

My traveling companions were not only DreamerDeceiver, but her two teenage sons (who are also Nightwish and Kamelot fans) were also along for the road trip. They were also more than willing to help load the truck with my things (and were very well-mannered and gentlemanly). I felt so bad that they had to be cramped in the back of the truck with all the things I had taken along! They were really good sports about it, though; never let on that any of it was an inconvenience to them. I will refer to them by the names "Cali Hills" (a take on the older son's username here on the board), and "A.B." (in reference to the younger son's nickname).

Not only did they have to put up with my luggage (which was really only two small bags), but they also had to contend with a very large birthday bag filled with gifts for the band, another smaller gift bag which was reserved for my best friend, who I was seeing the next morning (and whose birthday happens to be two days after mine!). Then on top of that, I had two very large and very uncooperative birthday balloons. Back when we were scheduling the OSA meet-up for this show, I tried to think of something creative that would signal to other OSAers where we were meeting up, and something that would signify to them that it was me they were meeting (in case they weren't sure who would be there). Since it was my birthday, the most creative thing I could think of was to tie birthday balloons to the back of my chair. I figured they would be noticeable, but not getting in anyone's way. Well, I did not count on the wind wanting to blow these balloons in every other direction but floating up! :lol:

It was a very pleasant drive to L.A. County with a family of Nightwish and Kamelot fans. I have been to my share of Nightwish shows, but only one other time—at OSA Weekend earlier this year—that I have ever traveled to a show with other fans. It's so great to spend traveling time with other fans, so the ride goes by fast when you're all spending the time talking about music and our excitement for the shows we were going to see. You never run out of things to talk about!

I will not bore you with the details of how we spent the rest of our afternoon having lunch and hanging out before the show; so our story resumes at about 3 o'clock, when we headed for the Grove. Traffic was not bad at all; we seemed to get to Anaheim in the blink of an eye, which is saying a lot for L.A./Orange County traffic on a Friday afternoon!

We found our places in line and almost immediately started getting friendly with other Nightwish fans. The fans in front of us were very cool (one of them is now a Facebook follower; thank you very much!), and the people behind us were also very nice; one of them is now one our newest Tumblr followers (thank you as well)! One of the other people standing behind us had no idea about what had happened with Anette, so we all had a discussion about that. It's always interesting to hear the different perspectives from other fans and to hear the different opinions on the current state of affairs in the world of Nightwish. Waiting in line with other Nightwish fans who are just as enthusiastic about seeing the show is a very good way to pass the time. It's always fun to talk to folks and hear how many shows people have gone to or how far someone has traveled.

The first person from the OSA to find us was DVDVampire, whom I had first met back at the Key Club and Gibson shows, along with his wife (very nice people); both of whom were towards the front of the line. I was glad he'd been able to make it to Anaheim after all! It was so great to hang out with them earlier this year, so it looked as if though OSA Weekend Part 2 was going to be just as good as the last one. I was proudly wearing my "Enter the Scaretale" shirt in the hopes that other OSAers coming to the show would recognize it. (Sorry Adrian, I meant to get a picture of myself wearing it, but I didn't! I was hoping I'd get a picture with one of the bandmembers during the meet-and-greet, but as you will read, I was shoved along rather quickly and did not get the opportunity!)

And of course, a Nightwish show on my birthday (or a Nightwish show anytime, for that matter!) could not be complete without a visit from the Bruelands, who came out later on to say hello to me and to give me a birthday present. I was so surprised! Just getting the show is present enough so I didn't expect any other gifts along the way! I was so happy to see them and their gift of a Nightwish wristband and a lovely-looking laminate were awesome additions to my Nightwish collection. Thank you so much!!! :)

As if those weren't wonderful presents already, they had another surprise waiting for me a little while later. They said they would come back, and when they did, they brought someone else I did not expect at all: Tuomas' mom! I recognized her from seeing her at the shows earlier this year, so I was very surprised to see her. You can imagine my surprise when she kept walking straight towards me! She is such a lovely woman; so sweet and kind. I cannot say it enough. And she is so pretty! She has such a lovely smile that would light up a room. She introduced herself to me and said I could call her by her first name, but I just cannot find myself able to do it. So I will strike a compromise here in this review and call her Mrs. H, since it is faster to write (and to read) than continuously writing out "Mrs. Holopainen" or "Tuomas' mom". Hopefully she doesn't mind!

Mrs. H wished me a happy birthday and gave me a hug; she also said she remembered seeing me at the shows in January too. I was very humbled that not only did she recognize and remember me from a show from over 8 months ago, but also that she would come out to speak with me, and I honestly did not know what to say. We took pictures together, but I will have to wait for them as they were not taken on my camera. That's probably the only picture I have of myself wearing the Enter the Scaretale shirt at the show. If I can find a way to show myself wearing the shirt without compromising Mrs. H's privacy, then I will be glad to show them. But I would not like to show our picture together in public without her permission. I hope the rest of you will understand.

DreamerDeceiver, however, was not at a loss for words at all. "Your son's music touches my heart!" she said. Mrs. H looked very pleased; smiled and gave her thanks. Dreamer Deceiver also mentioned having met Mr. and Mrs. H along with Tuomas earlier that year when she and her boys were staying in the same hotel as the band was when they played Gibson, and they were all eating in the same restaurant. DreamerDeceiver told Mrs. H the story about how she was the person who gave Tuomas a gift of Disney underwear...yes, you read that right! Disney underwear. It is a rather funny story, but it is not mine to tell, so I hope DreamerDeceiver will come in here and tell it to all of you sometime. And yes, as you could imagine, Mrs. H remembered!

Shortly after that, Mrs. H and the Bruelands went back inside and a few moments later, one of the band's managers (not Ewo; sorry, I can't remember his name) came out and told us to come straight to the front of the line, as they were getting ready to divide the line into those with VIP tickets and those without them. At this point, Cali Hills commented, "Wow, I really feel like a VIP! Not just having 'VIP tickets', but like a real VIP on the guest list!" I cannot give myself credit for how well we were being treated, but I was glad that if I helped to play some small part in what was happening to us, that he got to have such a memorable experience. Recalling how I was at his age and the bands I idolized at that time, I wonder how I would have felt if something similar had happened then? Oh hell, forget that; even at my age now I still think that is pretty cool!

Once we were escorted to the front of the line, we met up with a couple of other fans (a mother and daughter of whom the mother was a singer and a music teacher, if I remember correctly); a little more waiting, and then we were allowed past the gates and through the front doors. It looked a lot like a movie theater, with Nightwish's name on the marquee, of which I took a picture:

anaheim01.jpg

The band was at a long table in the lobby area, and the first one I approached was Tuomas, who was at the head of the line. He was probably inwardly laughing at me or thought I looked a fool as I dragged all of my stuff along with me, and handed him this giant bag filled with gifts! I gave him a large Mickey Mouse scarecrow doll and a small Mickey figurine (I had originally bought the small figurine as a gift, but a few days before leaving for So. Cal., I saw this scarecrow Mickey in the store and I just couldn't resist! I didn't stop to think of how much trouble it would be to take along because it was so big!). Since I had to move fast, I didn't really get to see what he thought of his presents, but he always says thanks and always shows such enthusiasm for Disney gifts as if they are the first ones he has ever received. :D

I also asked him to sign my Imaginaerum fold-out poster (from the Finnish import double CD, that I got as a Christmas present last year from Michèle)and mentioned how happy I was to be seeing a Nightwish show on my birthday. I think I said something like, "It's my birthday today, I'm already having a great time!" "So I've heard," Tuomas says in reference to my birthday (obviously either his mom or the Bruelands told him!), and takes my hands into his as he wishes me a happy day. I was instantly reminded of the moment from earlier this year when he let me hold his hands because mine were freezing. The weather was quite warm this time so he did not have to touch any icy-cold hands! ;) He has such a strong grip but not so much he's cracking the bones in your fingers! Anyway, I like to shake hands with folks who have a strong grip, so when he took my hands and held them tight, it did make me smile. Not only that he took the time to wish me a happy birthday, but he also took the time to add a personal touch to it; like it wasn't just him going through the motions and saying it just to be polite. Even if he was, it seemed genuine to me, anyway!

Another funny thing that happened during my nanoseconds with Tuomas: DreamerDeceiver gave him another pair of Disney underwear "so his other pair would not be lonely!" Tuomas said to her, "that was you?" and she confirmed that indeed she was. She also gave him her best impersonation of Donald Duck as she was presenting his gift, to which he exclaimed, "That was very good!"

Oh, and a silly side-note...because I was getting things signed that would not show up with a black pen, Tuomas had a sort of confused look on his face when he took his black pen and looked at the dark surface. I told him, "I have a gold pen if you'd rather use that." "Yes, that would be perfect!" he said. Well, I don't know what happened, but my gold pen got lost somewhere along the line and while I did end up with a gold pen in my purse, it was not the Sharpie I had brought with me! I have no idea who it originally belonged to or how I ended up with it. Well, now the band has a gold Sharpie they can use to sign other things that just cannot be done with a black pen! Or whoever is the original owner of the pen I ended up with, now they have my gold Sharpie. Yay.

Next to him was Emppu, who was also very nice and wished me a happy birthday too. He and Tuomas were speaking to each other in Finnish for a few seconds while I was rummaging through the bag to find his gift. Inside the big gift bag I was also carrying our brand-new OSA shirts in a smaller bag to give to the band. So it took a few seconds to make sure each person got the right one (thanks to Taimi and her seamstress roommate, we were able to "guesstimate" what sizes each of the bandmembers might wear; I hope they were the right sizes!). We had an extra one for Anette, and I would have given it to Floor, but she is considerably taller than Anette and probably would not have fit in the shirt. Anyway, both Tuomas and Emppu thanked us for their shirts and posed for this picture here (sorry Emppuholics, that Emppu chose to cover up his face while throwing up the metal horns!):

anaheim02.jpg

So after Emppu was Floor. She was not without a gift either, although it was probably very generic and not a lot of thought was put into it, considering I had to find something to give her in just a couple days' notice. So I brought her a cute travel-size bath set, to which she responded, "I was just about to run out of this stuff! Thanks!" Well, I guess from one woman to another, I figured you can't go wrong with bath stuff, as we are always in need of soap or lotion. ;) She was also very nice, but I'm sorry to say I didn't get a chance to talk to her very much.

Jukka was not at the meet-and-greet at all, so the last two at the end of the table were Marco and Troy. Marco was cool as always, and once again complimented my t-shirt (as I was wearing the '07 OSA shirt the last time I met him). Troy was also very nice as well. They both asked me how I was doing, and a few seconds earlier I realized that I'd had a question for Tuomas that I did not have a chance to ask as I was being ushered along. So I said to them, "I'm fine, but I have a bit of a problem." "What's wrong?" asked Marco. I thought it was sweet of him to ask me if something was wrong, when technically everything was going so right!

I answered his question. "Well, I had a question for Tuomas back there, but I wasn't given a chance to ask him. Can I ask you instead?" Marco says, "Sure, if I can help." So at that point, since so many OSAers have asked me over the last 4 years to do this if/when I got the chance, I told Marco, "You guys did the most amazing thing for us at the Wiltern show 4 years ago when you dedicated 'Dead to the World' to the Oceansouls of America. Would you be willing to do it again?" Marco furrowed his eyebrow and looked over at Troy. "To be honest, I don't think it's on the setlist tonight," he said. He asked Troy if he knew whether it was on the setlist, and Troy shrugged as if he wasn't sure. I told him that I understood, and it was totally OK if they were unable to do it.

Unlike when I gave Zellie's book to Tuomas and actually had a few moments to tell her story and to get the point across as eloquently as possible; I was not really allowed to do that in the meet-and-greet line. The security was already becoming annoyed with me and were giving me looks to move it along. I'm actually glad they hollered at me when they did, because as I was telling Marco the story behind the book, I felt like I was going to cry again, and the security guard snapping at me to hurry it up actually stopped my tears! So I mentioned to Marco that I would be at the show in San Diego the following night, which would have been Zellie's 30th birthday. I tried as best I could to get the point across of how important she was to us and how much so many of us still miss her, but it's really hard to do with such limited time and a bunch of jerky security guys looking at you impatiently. But Marco and Troy made no move to tell them to make me leave, so I guess I didn't do so bad; they were listening to my story and seemed to be paying attention.

So I knew my time was up and I reached into my bag and saw there were 3 shirts left. "Someone is missing!" I realized. Marco said, "Yeah, Jukka's not here." I looked back at everyone sitting at the table and realized that indeed he was not there (it wasn't that I don't give Jukka any notice, it's that the line was moving so fast I didn't have time to take stock of everyone and just assumed that I had already given him his). "That's too bad," I said, "here's a gift for him!" and gave it to Marco. I started to hand Marco and Troy their shirts, and Marco pointed at my OSA shirt. "Are you gonna give me one of those?" he asked. "Yes." I said. "Wow, thanks!" said Marco. He had already seen my shirt so when I gave him his, he took another good look at it and said, "How cool!" I take it they liked Adrian's design too? Then I handed one to Troy and he said, "I get to have one of these shirts too?" I said, "Yes, I gave one to everybody except Floor because I didn't have time to get one in her size." Troy looked like I just gave him a brand-new car, the way his eyes lit up. "Thank you so much!" he said. He also called me "dear" or "darling", but as I am a little embarrassed by such terms of endearment, I am not entirely sure which one he used.

Marco stopped me before I was set to leave and said to me, "I'll try my best to see what I can do. But I have so much stuff going on before a show that I do tend to forget things, so I will do what I can." I said to him, "I understand, I appreciate that you said you'll try. And I know everyone at OSA appreciates too. Thank you!" He asked me the name of our fan club yet again so that he could keep it in his mind, and I told him. I also said I would write it down for him if he wanted, but then I remembered, "It's on the shirts I just gave you!" Then he did the coolest thing, and held up Zellie's book. "That's OK," he said, "I have something here to remind me." The fact that he used her book as a reference to remember us and not the shirts; well, the shirts would have been equally cool, but I was just so moved that he used Zellie's book as his reference for remembering us. He and Troy both thanked us for the shirts again and thus ended my adventure at the meet-and-greet.

anaheim03.jpg

From there we went to the merch booth, which was already quite crowded. I was a little disappointed to see the same design from the shows in January, only this time they had the North American tour dates on them instead of the Gibson/70K Tons dates. There were many Kamelot shirts too, but it was so crowded that I really couldn't get a good look (there was one that A.B. bought that I would love to have, but I never did get a chance to purchase it!). Once we saw that there was not really much to choose from at the Nightwish booth, we went to take our seats. I was ecstatic when we got to our place and found a spot in the very front, directly in front of Tuomas' keyboards! This birthday was already so amazing, and it was only getting better!

So I took the opportunity at that point to call Taimi on my cell phone and fill her in on everything that had happened so far. While I was on the phone, DreamerDeceiver mentioned that someone wanted to meet me, and they would come back after I was done talking. So after my phone call, I was pleased to meet Tim from our Facebook page! Turns out he lives in the same city I'm originally from, and where I always stay whenever I come to town. What a small world! So we were meeting more OSAers along the way. As the show was getting ready to start, a group of young ladies took their places next to me and after talking for a few minutes, we found one of them was registered to our site as well. Even better, to meet OSAers you didn't count on meeting! (The other ladies in the group are now all followers on our Facebook; thank you so much!)

Shortly after that, Kamelot's set started and wow! They were amazing! I have liked Kamelot for a long time, but their last album didn't grab me as much as Ghost Opera did, and then of course the whole debacle with losing a singer (as seemed to be the common thread among the two bands on this tour), it sort of diverted my interest for a while and I kept meaning to revisit their material. After their set in Anaheim, I was definitely going to get reacquainted with some Kamelot! I really only knew the Ghost Opera songs, but they did the bonus track "Season's End", which sounded so beautiful. Tommy is a fantastic vocalist and the two female singers (Eliza and Alissa) were astounding as well. I'm not much into growly vocals, but Alissa is one of the best growlers I've heard. Her stage presence is bad-ass too! ;) I hope someone out there has a good-quality video/audio of "March of Mephisto", as I fell in love with that song and thought her vocals on that particular track was awesome. This is the first time I have ever seen an opening act for Nightwish that I enjoyed nearly as much as Nightwish themselves. I wish these two bands would tour together all the time!

After Kamelot's set, I took a few minutes to call up Desi and inform her on what had happened throughout the course of the evening, and was waiting for Nightwish to play. Both she and Taimi did a great job keeping the Tumblr and Facebook up-to-date in my absence, so I wanted to make sure both of them were up-to-date on everything that was happening while I was away! :)

So we were just moments away from the show starting, and because I can only post so many characters, I will have to continue the review of the concert itself (including pictures) in the next post...

To be continued...

My head is spinning and this is only half of the story.............. I'm so glad to hear that Marco made that effort, but from what I hear of Marco, he's truly a nice person and very considerate of the fans.

Thanks for your very detailed and interesting reviews, both of you. :) Like reading your views and experiences of the concerts.

About Floor's voice fading or sounding weak, I think it's the lack of so called "center fill speakers" in the particular venue. Most small(ish) venues have front line speakers placed up on both sides of the stage near the ceiling. To put it simple, those are the spekers where vocals and front end instruments will be heard. Drums, Bass and guitar(s) will be heard through the backline speakers, the "piles of Marshalls" at the back of the stage.

Now, when the frontline speakers are located on the sides, you need to listen to them from a certain distance to hear the sound from both sides and to encounter the full stereophonic image of the sound. When you go too far on either side the audio image will become "slanted" as you mainly hear only one channel whichever is the nearest to you. If the singer's voice is placed stronger on the other side, it wanes and you will not hear it well.

When you are located right in front of the stage between the front line speakers, the sound kind of passes you at both sides and you can't hear it properly. Usually that problem is handled by placing center fill speakers at the front center of the stage to cover the "hole" in front of the stage, but smaller venues do not always have the extra speakers there. On big stage. especially outdoors the center fills are a must, else the "hole" would become too big.

That's one reason I don't want to go too close in front of the stage at concerts. The best place to hear everything as intended by the mixer is near the mixer's booth, (in big venues the lower seats at the back end is usually a good place, too) because there you'll hear the same as the person mixing the sound and that's how s/he has intended it to be heard.

Sorry for going off-topic, bear with me :p

Thanks for clearing that up, Enigma; that makes sense, since as you will see when I get to the San Diego part of the review, I could hear Floor much better because I was sitting right next to the sound board.

Anyway...back to the second half of the first part of the review...

October 5th: Anaheim, CA; Best Birthday Ever! (continued)

Continued from previous post...

Quick refresher on other characters in the story beside me and the band..
DreamerDeceiver: My friend, fellow OSAer, and traveling companion.
CaliHills: DreamerDeceiver's older son, age 15.
A.B.: DreamerDeceiver's younger son, age 13.
Desi: Fellow OSAer; known as "NoDoubtaholic"on the board.
Taimi: Fellow OSAer; known as "Taimi" on the board.

Maybe it's because I spent the intermission time on the phone, but it didn't seem like the wait between bands was as long as it seemed to be for some other opening acts I have seen with Nightwish. But when the lights came down and the intro to "Crimson Tide" played, the crowd cheered and the party began.

anaheim04.jpg

Here's the setlist from Last.fm (I did not spend this time texting the setlist like I did last time; sorry folks, I actually wanted to pay attention to the show!):
Intro (Crimson Tide)
Storytime
Wish I Had an Angel
Dark Chest of Wonders
Amaranth
Scaretale
Dead to the World
Slow, Love, Slow
I Want my Tears Back
The Islander
Nemo
Last of the Wilds
Planet Hell
Ghost River
Song of Myself
Last Ride of the Day
Outro (Imaginaerum)

anaheim05.jpg

This was my 6th Nightwish show, and while every show has had special memories for me, I can't ever remember being this close, and it was just the most amazing time ever. The fact that I was directly in front of Tuomas, who kept looking over at me and signaling to me, made it extra special. The band all looked like they were having a fun time onstage; Tuomas and Emppu were smiling a lot during the night and at one point, CaliHills mentioned to me that Tuomas playfully kicked Emppu in the backside towards the end of the show. As you can see from some of the pictures, funny faces and humor were on the stage that night.

anaheim18.jpg

And of course the big question everyone asked me after the show: what did I think of Floor? I couldn't say, because her sound was turned down rather low, and I could not hear her on a lot of the songs! Not only that, but on the songs where she could be heard; there were so many people around me singing along so loudly that even when I could hear Floor, I still couldn't hear her! I wished I could have heard certain parts of certain songs a lot better, but what I could hear, she did not disappoint and I felt she did a good job. I had somewhat hoped that "Planet Hell" would have been done a little more operatically, but it was done more in Anette's style, except for the very last note at the end, which Floor pulled off with such punch. I only wished I could go to more shows after Floor has been touring with them for a while and the band is more familiar with her voice and what songs she can do, because I have a feeling a lot more "old-era" songs will start making it back onto the setlist, if she was doing justice to the old songs like this. (The fact that they have started to do "Ghost Love Score" again at the last couple of shows only proves this! I'm sure you OSAers going to the show in Helsinki are going to have one hell of a time!)

Marco and Emppu were the ones who came to our side of the stage the most, so besides Tuomas, I got the best pics of them. This one is my favorite of Emppu:

anaheim49.jpg

This one is my favorite of Marco during "Wish I Had an Angel":

anaheim36.jpg

As for the rest of the set...Floor did a great job on "Storytime" and "Amaranth", but she flubbed the lyrics of "Last Ride of the Day" a little bit. The acoustic version of "Nemo" was just as stellar as it was in January, even with a new vocalist. Marco also joked around a bit before the intro to "Slow, Love, Slow"; saying something like, "this song is about all the sensitive feelings...of which I know nothing about!"

anaheim41.jpg

"Last of the Wilds" is always a highlight of the show; with Troy and Tuomas onstage together at the beginning of the song, "dueling" with their instruments until the rest of the band joins in. As usual, Troy is at the farthest end of the stage or away from my camera's best vantage point, so this was the best shot I could get of him...

anaheim45.jpg

And "Ghost River"...! That song was killer live, and even though I wish I could have heard more of Floor, Marco's devilish vocals more than made up for it, and the creepy blue lighting gave the song an even more eerie vibe. (Strangely enough, I could hear Marco just fine, but not Floor!) After "Dead to the World", of course, that was another pleasant surprise. I'd been dying to hear it ever since I heard it was on the setlist, and it was worth the wait. Everyone was jumping up and down during "I Want my Tears Back", and Floor didn't do half-bad on "Scaretale" (she'll never do the "squealing pigs" line the way Anette did, but she brought her own style to it and it still sounded good). I realize I am hopping around a little bit with the order of the songs, but I am writing this from memory nearly 2 weeks later...cut me some slack here, folks!

So after "Scaretale", Marco takes the stage, and...well, you all know what happened next.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMZMzol1kSM&list=PL5C0660C4B26851DE&index=34&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

I was absolutely stunned! Talk about the most awesome birthday surprise ever! I don't know if Marco intended to do that all along once I asked, or if he really didn't know the song would be on the setlist, but he did a good job of keeping me in the dark about what they would do until that moment! I think that was the only time I texted anyone during the show; just to let Desi and Taimi know what had happened. CaliHills was filming it too, so no matter what, we finally had proof of what had happened once before in '08, and had happened again. I was ecstatic, but several of the folks around me also cheered quite loudly. One of the girls in the group next to me even said, "I'm an Oceansoul too!" or something like that. It made me happy to see how much enthusiasm people had at that moment. I think everyone in our little group went absolutely wild at that point!

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/9502/anaheim35.jpg[/mg]

I was glad to know that even folks who just found us that day or were getting to know us in such a short time already felt that much a part of us. It was a wonderful feeling that those around me who were part of the OSA either for a short time or for many years, that all of them felt just as excited to hear that as I was...it was such a special night, just like the last time. Only this time there were other OSAers there to share that special moment with me and this time we have it on film for everyone to see who could only be there in spirit! (I may as well take this time to mention how sorry I was to not be able to meet up with everyone...Traxan, Burning Reflection, Jill, and a few others...it always seems there is someone I miss out on meeting, but that's the good thing about going to multiple Nightwish shows; there is always another opportunity to try again!)

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img198/3200/anaheim48.jpg

So while I couldn't hear Floor very well, the show did not lack anything for me, as I have never been so close to the front before and watching Tuomas "do his thing" up close more than made up for anything else that may have been slightly short of the mark...

anaheim15.jpg

Another favorite shot of Tuomas "in the moment":

anaheim29.jpg

As I already mentioned, Tuomas looked over at me many times and gave me a sort of smile after they went into "Dead to the World". I tried my best to gesture to him and say "thank you!" I'm sure he understood the meaning of what I was trying to say, and at one point during a silent moment, I yelled quite loudly, "best birthday ever!". I don't know how anyone could think I wasn't happy or thankful for such a wonderful surprise! I know that while it was Marco who I asked for this favor, it ultimately had to be Tuomas who gave the approval, so I know he had as much to do with what happened as Marco did. I only wish we could have gone to the meet-and-greet in San Diego too, so I could have had the chance to thank them in person. Hopefully someday I will get the opportunity again.

anaheim52.jpg

So anyway, later on in the setlist (I think during "Planet Hell"?), Tuomas throws me a water bottle, and because I had my camera in one hand, I tried to catch it with the other hand, but it ended up instead hitting me square in the face! It didn't hurt or anything, it was mostly getting water on me, which actually felt kinda good at that moment, as hot as it was. I just laughed at my inability to be coordinated enough to catch a damn bottle of water just a few feet away. And I was more concerned for my camera, as it got some water splashed on it too (no damage done). But Tuomas looked like he felt bad that he smacked me in the face with a bottle of water, that he went over and gave me another one, this time actually handing it to me by stepping over to the edge of the stage and making sure I could reach it. What a sweetheart!

anaheim23.jpg

While there was much to be desired in not being able to hear Floor as clearly, I thought overall the band played excellently and everyone was spot-on. Like I said, they all looked like they were having a great time and a lot of fun.

anaheim47.jpg

I like what Floor brought to the table by way of stage presence; she does these slinky dances onstage and moves her hair around a lot, and does a lot of headbanging. If this had been my first Nightwish show, I would have never known that she'd just joined the band less than 4 days before. She looked like she'd always been there, and I mean this with no disrespect to either of the former singers. Floor just did that damn good of a job, that she was able to incorporate herself into the dynamic that easily, to where fans were not feeling that they were being cheated out of anything or that something was missing. Yes, Anette was missing, and that's not to say I have forgotten about her and don't miss her, but this review is more praise for Floor's professionalism and less about any of those other things. I figure I have plenty of other opportunities here at the forum to mention the loss of Anette, but I only have so many chances to mention Floor in the Nightwish lineup and how she is as a performer.

anaheim53.jpg

The final song was "Last Ride of the Day", and while the band sounded good, Floor did miss a few of the lyrics. But that's OK, because "Last Ride" is not one of my favorite songs off the new album so while I knew the lyrics, I didn't have them committed to memory as closely as the others, so it didn't bother me so much that she didn't know them. But writing a review means mentioning all the pros and cons, and missing lyrics is part of that. I believe she missed a part on "Song of Myself" as well. Still, for just practicing some of these songs for the last 2 weeks and still learning a lot more of them, she didn't do half-bad. I can see that she's really trying her best to fit in and to be a part of this group for as long as she is needed. Will she become a permanent replacement? I wouldn't mind if she did, but I just don't know. In the end, that's up to Tuomas, so it doesn't matter much what I think.

As is the case with all Nightwish shows, they always seem to end too soon and when the outro music of "Imaginaerum" hit, most fans were looking around as though they weren't sure if there was going to be an encore. I could see that many folks were outwardly disappointed when the house lights came back on after "Imaginaerum" was over, and they could see there would be no encore and the show was over. But I certainly didn't feel as though we had been sold short! I was still in awe over having the most unforgettable birthday of my life! I have been to many shows either a day or two before or after my birthday, but I have never been to a show *on* my actual birthday, so this topped them all! I'm not even going to try and wonder how I will outdo it next year, because I know it will be impossible!

anaheim55.jpg

Before we leave, I run into the Bruelands again and say goodbye to them, and thank them for my lovely gifts. I also was curious to know why "Higher Than Hope" was not on the setlist tonight, as it is a given that whenever they are in attendance, Nightwish always plays that song. They explained to me that because Floor was still learning the songs, they did not realistically expect them to play it; she didn't have time to learn it, so they didn't think they would play it in San Diego the following night either. I was a little disappointed for them that they wouldn't get to hear their special song in their hometown, but they did not appear upset about it at all. They had gone to the shows in Atlanta earlier in the tour and got to hear it then, so it wasn't like they didn't get to hear it at all on this tour. I was glad that they did get to hear their special song on this tour before Anette left, anyway.

By the time our little group got out of the venue, it was midnight on the dot (according to the call I received on my cell phone from my boyfriend right as we were heading outside). We were parked close to the venue, but as I was traveling in a truck that was high off the ground, I was unable to get in unless the truck was parked up against a curb, so it took a few minutes to get some folks sitting on the curb to move so DreamerDeceiver could have enough room to park so that I could get into the truck. As we were driving back to my aunt's house in L.A. County, my lone birthday balloon fittingly floated off into the desolate night sky, as at that point my birthday was officially over. But the weekend was just beginning! While my special day had come to an end, our special weekend-long party with Nightwish was only halfway through, and we couldn't wait to get to San Diego!

Before retiring to our respective places at nearly 3 in the morning, DreamerDeceiver needed to stop by the pharmacy, as she was having some pains related to her hernia and needed something to bind her abdomen, so she could continue to rock out the next night. Luckily the pharmacy closest to where she was staying was still open, but she only had a few minutes left! Where are the 24-hour pharmacies when you need them? Well, it appeared she found what she needed for now, as afterwards we stopped off at Denny's to have a very late dinner and to go over all we had just experienced, and our anticipation for Round 2, which would begin after we'd all had a little sleep! While we were all so pumped up we didn't think we could sleep, as soon as I got to my bed at 3:30 in the morning, my head hit the pillow and I would not awaken again until 7 a.m., when my "morning wake-up call" came in.

The final installment to come soon...

Great review ( I managed to read the whole thing :) )

Troy seems like nobody really gives him any gifts, poor guy.

Can't believe the band did the dedication, its a really nice thing to do. But I still think the best bit is giving them Zellie's book.

See this is what I find inspirational, people around me (that would be my darling relatives) are always saying stuff like but you'll never be published never ever never so give up now. But I'd rather die and have left some self published thing behind for my grandchildren or whoever to read than not do that. They just can't understand. You have been able to give this book to two people from a band Zellie supported and I think they will probably both read it, since Marco likes science fiction and Tuomas says he likes to read, it just goes to show what you can achieve. Its just a great story in itself.

It would be good if you could get them to say something about it and use it as a quote for the back cover, I don't know if that would be possible. Plus if you'd like another copy of Zellie's book I can post you the one I have.

Those are some great pictures, Amaranth! I wish I could have taken a picture with Tuomas and I'm sure he would have been happy to oblige, but as I already mentioned...security guards at the Grove are total pricks. ;)

Troy seems like nobody really gives him any gifts, poor guy.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing when I saw BaraHime's pictures from the Philly m&g and noticed Troy was there. It was just a stroke of luck that Ray had not sent the t-shirts off to me just yet, so I was able to ask him to throw in an extra one for Troy. Tramz said the same thing you did; no one knows if he's really in the band or not, or they don't expect him to be at the meet-and-greets, so no one ever thinks to give him anything. From what Taimi says that Troy told her in OKC, he has already worn the shirt and really likes it. :D

Yes, when I gave Tuomas the book, he was flipping through it like he wanted to start reading it right there, and I noticed as we were leaving that he went to pick it up and start reading it again. I should have asked him if he'd read it when I saw him, but...well, again, so little time and so many people breathing down your neck to hurry up. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about sending me a copy of the book; I will get my own copy in due time. I have already bought 2 copies, so I am doing my part to support Zellie's cause, and will have a copy for myself soon.

My review is not done yet; there is still San Diego! Hopefully it will be a little shorter since we didn't go to the m&g there so not as much happened. But that's not to say that nothing happened at all. ;)

I will eventually be able to write my own review of the OKC show, but as I am still recovering from surgery, I think my body and brain needs rest right now LOL :)

nice review of the Anaheim show C.

we could hear Floor loud n clear (but we were in the second section).

love the youtube footage of the show, would love to get a copy somehow for my brother and I :headbang::headbang: .

Awesome to read! This sounds like an incredible experience! I wish I'd had the gall to be as talkative in the m&g line. I just got so tongue tied staring at them! Troy was the only one I really had any words with. He was very warm and I think he really got a kick out of the way I greeted him! "Troy! The unofficial 6th member!!"..

This all has been such a positive experience for the OSA, I'm so incredibly thrilled to be apart of such a great group of people here! :)
<3

^Yes, I mentioned that we had "adopted" him as our mascot, which he really liked. Maybe this is why he liked his shirt so much?

I didn't think I said all that much, considering I didn't have very much time. I really wanted to ask for a picture with any of them, and after seeing how many people did take pictures, I really regret it now. But again, people yelling at me to hurry it along made me so flustered I forgot a lot of the things I wanted to say or do. :(

Krug: Send me a PM and I might be able to help get that video for you.

I'm so incredibly thrilled to be apart of such a great group of people here!

Me too!!!
hug.gif

OK, you all know I hate double-posting but here is the last of it...our time in San Diego!!!

Part Two: San Diego, CA; October 6th (On the Eve of Our Oceansouls)

You would think that less than 4 hours of sleep would have me dragging that morning, but for someone who is normally a night owl and hates mornings, I was surprisingly energetic when I woke up. For one, my enthusiasm over the second Nightwish show later that night was enough to get my adrenaline going; but for another, before we left for San Diego, I was meeting one of my best friends and her husband for breakfast. As I always say, I am the luckiest girl in the world because I have not one, but two best friends. Unfortunately, I was not able to meet with both of them this time; only one of them, as her birthday was on Sunday, two days after mine. We normally try every year to find a way to spend our birthdays together in some capacity, but it isn't always easy since we live so far apart from each other. So even if it was just for a few moments early in the morning, we were both happy to be able to celebrate our special days together.

As if I hadn't already received so many wonderful surprises already...when my friend and her husband showed up at 9 o'clock to pick me up for breakfast, they had something very special to tell me. They were going to have a baby! They had just found out not too long before, so not very many people outside of the family knew about it, so I felt very privileged to be among the first of their friends to learn this happy news. Now, as most of you know, I don't have any kids and don't consider myself to be a "kid-friendly" person, but when they shared their news with me, I was truly happy for them. Maybe it's because our small group is expanding? Either way, such good news is never a bad way to kick off what promised to be yet another eventful day.

So we went out to breakfast, where we each opened each other's gifts. We both love to read, so it was no surprise that we gave each other books! She ended up with some missing volumes to a series of books that she likes, and I ended up with a hardcover version of The Lost Tales from Tolkien (sadly, the cover got a little crushed on the ride home, so the jacket is somewhat crumpled!). Well, if you can't give me music on my birthday, you can never go wrong with Tolkien!

During breakfast, I received texts from both DVDVampire and from Desi; both to tell me that the special video from last night was up online, and to tell me that it was already being seen. Wow, that was fast! I was glad to hear not only did a fellow OSAer get it on film, but that it was already on the internet for everyone to see. CaliHills had recorded it as well, but as we were all still away from home (and away from our computers), it wouldn't have been uploaded for another day or two; so I am very thankful to DVDVampire for not only capturing the milestone moment, but also taking the intiative to make sure it got out there to our community as fast as possible.

After spending the morning together, my friends dropped me off at my aunt's house and a little while later, DreamerDeceiver called me to ask if I was almost ready to leave. She and the boys had a couple of errands to run before picking me up, but they would be there soon. I didn't have much to pack, considering I had only spent a few hours at my aunt's house and didn't do anything more than sleep and change my clothes! So they got to my place at about 1 o'clock to make the beautiful scenic drive to San Diego.

As I started to get into the truck, DreamerDeceiver told me she had a belated birthday present for me that she had forgotten to give to me last night. It looked like a birthday card, and she wanted me to open it right away. She looked like she was going to burst with excitement if I didn't open it soon! "Can I get in the truck first?" I asked. "If this is going to be a surprise that knocks me off my feet, I want to be sitting down for it!" So I got in the truck and opened up the envelope, and saw a very beautiful card with a design that was fantasy-oriented. I liked it already! Then I opened the card...and I was glad I decided to sit down, because this surpassed all of my guesses of what it could be, and it would have indeed knocked me off my feet! At the meet-and-greet, she and the boys asked the band to sign this birthday card for me! I was so touched. All of their signatures were staring back at me in the card, and I was so surprised. I did not expect anything like this at all.

"We tried to be discreet," she explained, "we didn't want you to see what we were doing!" She then went on to explain that while they were getting the card signed, she asked Tuomas to pass the card to the others and to explain that it was for my birthday, but that it was supposed to be a surprise. Because they didn't want me to get wise to what was going on (as I was sitting right there!), Tuomas switched to Finnish to ask Emppu to sign my card and to pass it along to the others. So that was what they were doing! I told DreamerDeceiver that to be honest, I was so preoccupied with getting their gifts out of the bag that I was hardly paying attention to what anyone else was doing, so I'd had no idea what was going on. They were very pleased to see that my birthday surprise had not been spoiled! :) I was so happy, and we were all in high spirits as we hit the road and headed to the next destination in our Nightwish mini-road trip.

We had tossed the idea around as to whether or not we would go to the meet-and-greet in San Diego as well, since a few days before the concert it was announced that all the shows would now have the option. In the end, we decided not to, since the upgrade was rather expensive and none of us really had the money. Also, the truck needed gas, and anyone who has a vehicle knows how expensive gas is these days. So after going to the gas station to fill up and realizing that it cost nearly as much for one VIP ticket as it did to put enough gas in the truck to get us to San Diego and home again...well, we had already been to one meet-and-greet. Maybe the extra spaces we would have occupied in the line would now be taken up by fans who were not so lucky as to see the show in Anaheim.

Since Kamelot had put on such a great show the night before, the kids wanted to listen to Kamelot during the ride, which I did not mind, as I had also enjoyed the show and wanted to start getting more familiar with their music. But after we crossed into the San Diego County line and my beloved Pacific Ocean came into view, it was a most appropriate time to put Nightwish back on the playlist, namely an album that seemed most fitting for such stunning scenery: Oceanborn. Some of you old-timers might recall that it was in San Diego where my love of Nightwish was born, and I had not been back there in many years, so hearing the music and seeing the familiar sights brought back many happy memories of times when this music was new to me. I was afraid I was going to start crying because I was so overjoyed to be there; you never realize when you are away from a place you love how much you have missed it until you return! I don't know if I properly thanked my traveling companions for bringing me along with them to San Diego; I'm sure I did, but in case I didn't...I am so thankful that they took me along for their road trip. I am so delighted to have seen San Diego again, and that wouldn't have happened without them (if you guys are reading this, you have no idea how much this meant to me, and how much enjoyment I derived from seemingly so small a thing). I have not traveled to many places, but I have a special place in my heart for San Diego and always will. It is my favorite locale and being there always brings me such contentment. I would live there if I could. So I can never thank them enough for bringing me back to the place I love most.

As we got closer to the city, DreamerDeceiver mentioned that we were staying at a hotel called the U.S. Grant, and asked me how I felt about haunted locales. I said that it didn't bother me. Legend has it that there is a ghost that roams the 100+-year-old hotel, and the ghost is known for knocking on doors and riding along through the elevators. I thought that was kinda interesting, and wondered if our ghost-host would pay us a visit at all during our stay.

We got to the hotel around 4 o'clock, and we went up to the room to drop off our stuff and in my case, to take a shower as I hadn't had any time this morning. The hotel was very nice; one of the fanciest places I have ever been to. There was an art museum in the hotel, beautiful chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, and a piano in the main room (CaliHills even made a comment: "This looks like the kind of place you might find Tuomas hanging around in the middle of the night; just playing on the piano!"). The hotel rooms were spacious and offered a beautiful view of downtown San Diego. By the time everyone was showered, changed, and ready to go, it was already past 6 o'clock. (See? Things work out as they are meant to after all; if we'd ended up getting VIP tickets, we never would have made it on time and the money we might have spent would have gone to waste!) The House of Blues was within walking distance of the hotel, so we took a nice stroll through downtown San Diego at sunset.

Sure enough, they weren't kidding when they said how close the House of Blues was from the hotel; it seemed like we got there in hardly any time at all. We came in through the side where the restaurant was, where a blues band was playing to the patrons. (Wonder how they would take to Nightwish?) We were escorted to the elevator, which would take us inside the venue and to the area reserved for the wheelchair seats. As we were waiting to be shown to where we needed to be, the first people I see are the Bruelands! They are actually sitting in the area where we were supposed to be, so it all worked out just fine. At that point they gave me yet another lovely birthday present: a fan-art calendar signed by Tuomas. (Might I just add that the fan art done in this calendar is beautiful?) Thank you!!!

Just when I thought I couldn't get any more special surprises this weekend, yet another one came to me when they shared with us the wonderful news: the band would be playing "Higher Than Hope" at the show tonight! They rehearsed it at soundcheck and from what I was told, Floor was still learning the lyrics; but they were definitely going to do it. This was great news indeed! I was not only happy for them because they would get to hear it after all, but somehow I didn't think the event would pass of the band playing in Marc's hometown without them performing his special song. Not only this, but this evening (October 6th) was the night before Marc's birthday (October 7th). So the fact that the band was in his hometown on the eve of his birthday, I just could not imagine them *not* playing this song in his honor. Though I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they were going to do it, somehow I had a feeling that such an occasion would not go by unnoticed or not be commemorated.

Another milestone moment that also pleased me to know that this special song was going to be played was that this particular date (October 6th) also would have been Zellie's 30th birthday. So the fact that our two departed Oceansouls are continuously tied together by so many coincidences made it all the more special to me that I was here at this particular show and that it happened on this particular day. I was wearing my "Your Death Saved Me" Nightwish shirt not only in Marc's honor (and in honor of his dad), but also in memory of Zellie too (just like I did at the Key Club show). Somehow I would like to think that through those of us who miss and remember them, they were there with us. I don't mean this in a religious or mystical way; I mean it just as I say it: for those who remember someone who has passed on, they are never really gone, are they? They are there with us every time we remember them, or anytime they are in our thoughts.

So after talking to the Bruelands for a little while, our group wanted to split off; the boys wanted to get as close to the front as possible while DreamerDeceiver and I wanted to stay where we were, as we had a great view but were enough apart from the crowd to where we weren't getting bumped or feeling squished. So she went to get some food for the kids and make sure they were in a safe place while I sat and got acquainted with some other Nightwish fans.

Once again, Kamelot's set was amazing, and they changed their setlist slightly to include some songs that DreamerDeceiver was *very* happy to hear. While I thought the performance in Anaheim was slightly better, this is not to say that they lacked anything in San Diego. If anything, after seeing them two nights in a row, it only cemented it for me that this is a band I need to check out more of and my intention to do so had been long overdue.

So while waiting for Nightwish, DreamerDeceiver comes back with some food for both of us, and at that point someone calls out to me, and I recognize them. It was Alex, the guy that Desi and I had hung out with in the VIP area at Gibson! I remembered him telling us he was from San Diego and because we had all exchanged numbers back at the Gibson show, I thought about texting him to say I would be at the show. But since we had not communicated in all these months, I wasn't sure if he would remember me, so I didn't do it. But it looks like we found each other anyway! There was an empty seat in our section, so I invited Alex to hang out with us instead of straining to see above all the heads in the crowd on the floor.

Our vantage point also offered me a view of the side of the stage, where I noticed the Bruelands were sitting. They could see me too, and we waved to each other. We would wave or gesture to each other throughout the night. They definitely had the best seat in the house!

Time flies when you're having fun, and getting reacquainted with a fellow Nightwish fan helped to pass the time and before you knew it, the lights came down and the show was about to begin.

(I apologize in advance if there are not as many San Diego pictures, and that they are not as good as the ones in Anaheim; I was not as close, even though we did have a very good view!)

sd04j.jpg

Here is the setlist from Last.fm (again, I did not want to spend my time texting the setlist, and wanted to watch the show). However, I have a feeling the order of songs is slightly wrong, since I remember talking to DreamerDeceiver after the second song and she was wondering if they had cut "Wish I Had an Angel" from the setlist to make room for "Higher Than Hope". But then they started in on it and we knew that was not the answer!

Crimson Tide (intro)
Storytime
Wish I Had an Angel
Dark Chest of Wonders
Amaranth
Scaretale
Slow, Love, Slow
I Want my Tears Back
Nemo (acoustic)
Last of the Wilds
Planet Hell
Ghost River
Higher Than Hope
Song of Myself
Last Ride of the Day
Imaginaerum (outro)

OK, so this night was a lot better for hearing Floor, and I could hear her loud and clear! Now I could finally be able to hear just how well she was doing the songs, and she was amazing! I liked how she incorporated both the Tarja operatic sound and the straight-up rock sound of Anette. Honestly, if Nightwish is not considering keeping her on permanently, they need to get a singer like this, who can be able to take on the task of two very different singers with two diverse styles. Filling the shoes of not one, but two singers, is never an easy job, but Floor took to it very well and I have to commend her for her hard work.

sd03.jpg

One song in particular where she really "knocked my socks off" was "Dark Chest of Wonders"; while she did it more similarly in the Anette style for the most part, towards the end, she really belted it out like Tarja might have and brought back that flair of operatic goodness. "Planet Hell" was another example of this, where she did the operatic note at the end (she did the same the night before in Anaheim, but tonight I was able to hear it much more clearly).

sd12.jpg

"Wish I Had an Angel" was also another song she pulled off flawlessly, and almost made me forget that I have heard this song at *every. single. Nightwish. show* I have ever been to. And the red lights during that song really make for great pictures!

sd10x.jpg

Her take on the acoustic "Nemo" is lovely (the crowd went nuts when the opening notes hit), and her voice is so smoky and sultry on "Slow, Love, Slow". She didn't do half-bad on "Amaranth" or "Storytime" either. "Scaretale" was awesome once again, and Floor is getting better at the "squealing pigs" line too.

sd13m.jpg

"I Want my Tears Back" was another high point, although I have to admit that I thought the crowd was a little more animated the night before. That's not to say the San Diego crowd wasn't into it; they got pretty loud and enthusiastic too! In fact, during "The Islander", when Marco asks everyone to get out their cell phones or lighters, both DreamerDeceiver and Alex had their unique ways of filling the request...

sd22.jpg

And of course, "Last of the Wilds" is always killer. Oh goody, better pictures of Troy too!

sd15.jpg

However, might I just take a moment to say...why the f*ck do I always get stuck behind the tallest person in the venue, or the assh*le who wants to obstruct everyone's way? There was this guy down on the floor who insisted on sitting on the barricade, which meant that his big head was directly in my view and I could not see anything! How rude! At one point, there was a guy coming towards our area with a camera, so I asked him if he could ask the guy to move. "I can't see anything, can you tell him to please stand on the floor like everyone else?!" Thankfully that was the last of my problem with Mr. View-Blocker for the rest of the night! Thanks, camera guy!

Well, for those of you who might have thought there was too much Tuomas in my Anaheim pics, you'll be glad to know I was able to get good shots of most everyone else in San Diego...

sd11.jpg

But that isn't to say I didn't get any good pics of Tuomas...

sd19.jpg

"Ghost River" was kick-ass once again, and those creepy blue lights make for some more great shots...

sd26h.jpg

After "Ghost River", the opening notes to "Higher Than Hope" hit, and no sooner than Floor sang the line, "Time, it took the most of me...", the tears started coming down. I can't help it. I warn anyone who comes with me to Nightwish shows that if they do this song, I will cry. Guaranteed.

sd17.jpg

Maybe it was the impact of hearing this song in Marc's hometown on the eve of his birthday, or maybe it was thinking about Zellie on the night of her birthday as well. But I was just so overwhelmed with emotion; I always am whenever I hear this song, but something about tonight made it more poignant. I can't say exactly why; maybe it was all of those things. I have been to many concerts in my day and while music never fails to move me emotionally, it is not often that I will actually cry tears when hearing a particular song. I might get tears in my eyes or feel deeply moved, but it is only when Nightwish does "Higher Than Hope" when I feel this strongly to where I have tears rolling down my face the entire time. Maybe I am just getting old, and all those times in my youth when I was supposed to cry (like at the end of sad movies or things like that, for example) has finally caught up to me, and now I seem to cry over everything! OK...well, not everything. Just those things that touch my heart (whether in a good or bad way).

I really don't care if people laugh at me or think I am silly for saying this (it would not be the first time anyone has laughed at me or made fun of me for anything, that's for sure!). I have seen the band perform this song at the majority of Nightwish shows I've been to, and it never fails to impact me so profoundly, and this would be my first time hearing it live after the loss of my dear friend. I don't care if people laugh at me or think I am silly because this song makes me cry. I don't know how anyone can hear this song done live and *not* be moved in some way (unless they just don't know the story behind the song).

Even though I never had the chance to know Marc, I have expressed the sentiment many times that if he was anything remotely like how his family is (which I imagine he was!), then I feel sad to have missed out on knowing a very wonderful person. And I only met Marc's dad once, but I thought him to be a kind man as well. Likewise, many people have asked me how I can feel such a loss at Zellie's passing, when we never met in person and were only friends online. My only response to this is that she was just that special of a person. You didn't have to meet her face-to-face to be impacted by her or for her to have touched your life. I always considered her a friend and while my memories of her may not consist of remembering a smile or the sound of her voice, I have memories of my own smiles and laughter that she gave to me by way of the things she would write online. Whether she made me laugh by writing something funny on the board or joking around in the chat room. Or whether she made me smile on days when I felt particularly low, through the simplest gesture; like asking me how my dog was doing, or sharing our excitement for the latest Zelda game...these are the reasons why I still miss her.

And I have to take my hat off especially to Floor's performance on this song, simply because of the fact that she had barely learned the song that day and did not miss any of the lyrics at all; nor did her vocal delivery lack in emotion. Tarja's performance of the song was superb, and I always liked how Anette's voice was so wrought with pain during the "red sun rising" part. I have to give props to Floor that for only being acquainted with this song for such a short time, she still managed to make you feel the intensity of this song.

Of course, I could also see the Bruelands too, in their seats, and my heart was filled with love and compassion for them that they got to hear their special song in their hometown. When the song ended we waved to each other from our places and once again, I felt so lucky to share their special song with them.

All too soon, the moment was gone, and the dramatic opening notes of "Song of Myself" began. This is my favorite song from Imaginaerum, so I love to hear it live. I don't think Floor is as familiar with these lyrics yet, as she was off a word or two on one of the verses. Nonetheless, the band still rocked it out and did a great job. The same with "Last Ride of the Day"; Floor didn't get the lyrics quite right then either, but that's OK. It's a great closer to a show, and I hope that this song will replace "Wish I Had an Angel" as the standard closer to Nightwish shows in the future. I also like the way Floor segues into that song: "even on perfect nights like this, all things must come to an end."

sd27.jpg

After that, the music to "Imaginaerum" played and people hung around as if they weren't sure if the band was going to come out for an encore. In Anaheim, the crowd yelled for "one more song!" but it never happened. I'm pretty sure the crowd cheered for an encore here too, but once the house lights came back up and people saw that the show was over, the crowd began to disperse.

As we were waiting for people to leave, we ran into Tim (from our Facebok page) one last time; I knew he was coming to the San Diego show too and was glad to see him again. We were going to hang out with Alex for a little while, so as we headed to the elevators, we had to be separated since there was not enough room for all of us, and agreed to meet again outside.

OK, so the only person who will probably laugh at this part is Desi, since she was there the last time this happened...but for some reason, as of late, I seem to have the worst luck with elevators! I either end up in an elevator that gets stuck or won't cooperate, and this once again seemed to be the case here. We got into the elevator and the doors would not close. Finally, because we had to get out somehow, the crew directed us to the freight elevator and told us we could ride that down to the exit. Hmm, maybe my luck with elevators isn't so bad, since when we got to the freight elevator, we saw that it contained the band's gear! Cool; we get to ride in style with the Nightwish equipment! DreamerDeceiver snapped a picture of me next to the black boxes marked "Nightwish", but I'm sorry to say I do not have that picture at this time.

Further proof of this stroke of luck turning out for the best, we were led out a different exit than the one we were supposed to get out of, and what do we see outside? Tour buses! As I make my way out of the elevator and out to the street, DreamerDeceiver jabs me in the arm and whispers, "I need a pen!" What do you know? A couple of the guys from Kamelot are hanging around outside the tour bus! I quickly search through my bag and find my silver pen (the mate of my gold pen that got lost somewhere in Anaheim), and hand it to her.

The Kamelot guys were very cool; I don't know all their names but Tommy was there, as well as the bassist and the drummer. All nice guys. They signed A.B.'s Kamelot shirt, which he was wearing on his person at that particular moment (the same one I wish I would have bought at the merch booth), as well as other stuff that DreamerDeceiver and the kids had brought. I didn't have any Kamelot stuff to have signed, but I remembered my birthday card was still in my bag. I took it out and asked them to sign it. Since it already had most of the Nightwish signatures on it, I figured having some of Kamelot's on there would look good too. They all signed it, and the bassist proceeded to tell us that his birthday was coming up soon, and he would actually be playing in his hometown on that day. Cool!

So as we were taking pictures and hanging with Kamelot, we see the possibility of my card getting a full set of Nightwish autographs when we see Jukka rushing to the bus. DreamerDeceiver tries to flag down the Nightwish manager (the non-Ewo one; sorry, can't remember his name) and asks if Jukka will sign my card. She was greeted rather rudely with an emphatic "NO!" by the manager before Jukka goes into the bus. Whatever.

At that point, after texting a couple of times back and forth, Alex finds us and we contemplate whether we should hang out for a while and see if the band will come out, since we just saw Jukka. We hung around for a little while, but A.B.'s feet were hurting pretty bad and he wanted to go back to the hotel. DreamerDeceiver gave her hotel key to CaliHills and said he and I were welcome to stay and walk back to the hotel after we were done, but since neither of us really knew the way back, we decided to leave with them too. Alex said it was too bad that we were leaving already, but I wished him luck with meeting the band and asked him to text me if he had any luck (he never did, so I don't know if he stayed around long enough or what).

It is definitely times like this that I wish I could take my electric wheelchair whenever I travel; at least then I could have put the address of the hotel in my GPS and "driven" myself back to the hotel and stayed on. But it's a little more difficult to push yourself in a manual chair without help, especially up some of these curbs in downtown San Diego where there is cracked pavement or the ramps are uneven. But since my power chair weighs a lot and does not conveniently fold up to fit inside a trunk, I always have to leave it behind when I travel and take my manual chair instead. Since I didn't know my way around downtown San Diego very well (whenever I have come here I always stayed outside of town and closer to the beach), I didn't want to risk getting lost in the middle of the night, and decided to take leave with my friends. It wasn't that far, as I saw once we got back, and maybe I could have wheeled myself back if I wanted to, but that's OK. I was pretty tired and we had a long day of traveling back home tomorrow. By that point, I noticed that it was past midnight. Happy birthday, Marc (and to my best friend)!

So this officially concluded our Nightwish weekend adventure, but I will say one last thing about our stay in San Diego...the next morning, as I was getting dressed, DreamerDeceiver and CaliHills left to go get coffee. As I was coming out of the bathroom, I hear a knock at the door, and wonder if they had left their keys behind. "Is that you?" I say aloud in response, and no one answers. About 15 minutes later, they came back, and I asked them, "Did you guys knock on the door a little while ago?" "No, we just got back right now." I don't want to say that our friendly ghost of the U.S. Grant paid us a visit in broad daylight, but you never know...stranger things have happened during Nightwish-related adventures. Considering the many surprises I got over the weekend, this would not be a surprise to me at all...

The End...(?)

Love your reviews, everyone! C - you're right I did laugh out loud literally when I read about your elevator troubles.

And C, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get to be so close to the bruelands? I am happy to hear that you had such an amazing time, sounds like it might have even surpassed OSA weekend part 1!

Next time, I'm bringing gifts for them! It seems to go over so well!

^LOL, it never hurts anyway! ;)

I thought I told you how I met the Bruelands (maybe it was not you who asked me that weekend but someone else?); it was really not anything out of the ordinary (although it seems that I always have some sort of strange luck that follows me whenever I have gone to Nightwish shows; something out of the ordinary always seems to happen to me that I can't explain because I don't consider myself to have special luck or to be considerably lucky). We were both standing in line together before the show in Anaheim in 2004, and we started talking. I believe Erin spoke to me first and commented on how she liked my Oceanborn shirt and asked me where I got it. I also commented her shirt and that's when we all started chatting. They told me that they visited the OSA site quite often and liked it (at the time, it was nothing more than a small little homepage hosted at Beyond Ear Candy; not much to it but it was something). Even though I knew Marc's story, I did not know when I met them that they were Marc's family! They kept in touch with us through the site over the years, but I would not see them again until 2007, when they were sitting directly above me up in the balcony. We've been friends ever since.

I used to have a review floating around of the '04 show, but I have never been able to find it as it got lost in the annals of time with now-defunct boards and sites. :( The other reviews from '07 and '08 are here on the forum a few pages back.

If I remember correctly, that night in Anaheim (2004) was also the first time the band ever played "Higher Than Hope" with the family in attendance.

That reminds me; one small thing I forgot to mention in my review...I don't know where he was at the time, but A.B. was not with us when the Bruelands told us that the band was doing "Higher Than Hope" in San Diego. So DreamerDeceiver told them, "that is my son's all-time favorite Nightwish song!" So we decided, "let's not tell him they're playing it so it will be surprise!" OK, so it was more my idea; I thought he would like the surprise but as we were driving home, he asked us, "you guys knew they were gonna play 'Higher Than Hope'? Why didn't you tell me?!" :lol:

Both OSA weekends were amazing, and both special in their own way that neither could ever outdo the other one. :D

Speaking of both OSA weekends, I never knew this, but apparently Zoe (CenturyChild) and DreamerDeceiver ran into each other at the hotel they were staying at before the show. I guess somehow Zoe knew she was going to the Nightwish show and said to her, "you need to come to the OSA!" and DreamerDeceiver told her, "I already do!" :lol: That was great! :D

Amaranth: In that picture of Kamelot and Nightwish out on stage together, is Emppu wearing a *Vikings* jersey?! That's my team! Gonna kick some Cardinal ass tomorrow! Horns up!
horns.gif

Edit: Nevermind, I just checked the Vikings roster and there is no #92, unless that's an old jersey. Come to the dark side, Emppu! Vikings purple would match your purple guitar so beautifully! :D

Well, that was my day on Sunday; wearing my Vikings jersey on the way home, so my traveling companions are probably sick to death of my "bleeding purple" all over the place. :lol: