Angled Baffle Cab owners...

GuitarHack

Krank it UP!
Sep 3, 2006
Victoria, Australia
When recording the cab, how much different do the Top Speakers sound than the Bottom Speakers due to the baffle? I know this also depends on the subtle or not so subtle differences between each individual speaker but in general do you record the Top or Bottom more? Do the Top speakers give much of a different tone? I have only recorded a Straight Baffled Cab so I am wondering how much difference the angled baffle makes.

Cheers.

Cheers for the replies dudes. :headbang:

What, only 3 people record slanted Cabs? Come on.

I would appreciate some more responses as I am ready to buy a new cab and I just need to decide on Slant or Straight.

I am not asking for a kidney. :lol:

i'll give you my kidney if you give us GH Engl Impulse Collection Volume 1, hehe.

but for cab orientation, i'm straight, i don't know about that slanted fuckers. lol.

I will give you those impulses if 100 people give me $20 each so I can buy that cab. :lol:

Or 50 people give $40, not fussed as long as it equals $2000 since that is what that cab costs here. :p

i never realized that the top speakers were slanted !:erk::lol:

the top speaker is angled, so you would need to compensate with mic placement to really compare

I understand that. Since the top part of the baffle of the Cab is not parallel to the back of the Cab I was wondering how this would affect the sound of the Top speakers in relation to the Bottom speakers which are parallel to the back of the Cab.

I always record the bottom speakers on my Framus Dragon. The top sounds in a way as if it is very off axis even when it's center (compensating for the angled placement of the speaker , of course). Honestly, for anything but live use I'd go with a straight cab.

And I was thinking about the potential differences between slant & straight cabs, and it occured to me that because the top two speakers are angled, the reflections inside the cab are at a different angle, which I think would definitely make a difference in the overall sound, for better or worse.

I'm in the same boat here ... wondering about this subject. I always thought that the bottom speakers were the ones to mic (don't ask me why, just kinda made sense), but when I did the demos for my band I happened to like more the top speakers: less boomy and with more pronounced hi-mids. Eventually I used those, but I'm not really sure if I did the right thing. Maybe after all the processing involved the bottom speakers would have been a better choice to work on ... well, you never know.

Maybe JBroll will have an answer from his geeky point of view? :)