Replacing speakers in a Mesa cab?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Question for you guys, I'm gonna grab that traditional straight 4x12 tomorrow and I've got a buddy of mine who is looking to trade a pair of G12T-75s for a pair of V30s. I figure it's worthwhile because it'll give me a bit more variety and combined in one cab for live use it'll probably sound great, as I've heard nothing but great things about that X pattern setup... How hard is it to actually change out the speakers? Do the wires clip on or am I gonna have to solder? Also, how easily do the speakers come off the baffle? I can't think of a way where they could possibly be attached just from the back, there would either be a screw on the front and a nut on the back or vice versa, how do you take them out without being able to get to the front of the baffle? Also, anyone know what the stock Mesa V30s are rated at, 8ohms I'm guessing looking at the jack plate and switching options..?

Stock Mesa's are 8 ohms. the speakers wires are soldered to the terminals. The speakers in my cab were mounted to the baffle via locking nuts (the nuts with the plastic ring on the end of it).

You just take the back off to take the speakers out.

If your buddy doesn't have 8 ohm T75's, it won't work.

I've got 2 unused T75's rated at 8 ohms if you want to trade, though. ;)

Question for you guys, I'm gonna grab that traditional straight 4x12 tomorrow and I've got a buddy of mine who is looking to trade a pair of G12T-75s for a pair of V30s. I figure it's worthwhile because it'll give me a bit more variety and combined in one cab for live use it'll probably sound great, as I've heard nothing but great things about that X pattern setup... How hard is it to actually change out the speakers? Do the wires clip on or am I gonna have to solder? Also, how easily do the speakers come off the baffle? I can't think of a way where they could possibly be attached just from the back, there would either be a screw on the front and a nut on the back or vice versa, how do you take them out without being able to get to the front of the baffle? Also, anyone know what the stock Mesa V30s are rated at, 8ohms I'm guessing looking at the jack plate and switching options..?

How would you plan on combining them?

like this (as if you are looking directly at the 4x12 cab):

V30 G1275

G1275 V30

or

V30 G1275

V30 G1275

as im tempted at getting a pair of V30s and slamming em in my marshall 1960A. But was tempted at having half the cab running solely on v30s and the other on the G12-75Ts. I can see having them on each side would work well though

Most people who combine them for live use do the X pattern:

V30 G1275

G1275 V30

I actually have done this (thus the reason I have 2 extra T75's) in one of my cabs. If I could trade my T75's for a couple more V 30's, I would, so I could do it in my other.