Angled Baffle Cab owners...

What cab did you get dude? Mesa Recto?

Yeah, went with the Oversize Boogie, original hey. :lol: Only quickly mic'd a bottom speaker last night and am liking it so far although the amp needs to be dialled in differently than before. I did a comparo with the 6505 using the same settings I used on the Trad cab and the OS gave a vastly different sound. I will try out the Top speakers today after breaking it in a bit.

I'm also using the oversized mesa cab and I always mic the top speakers. I´ve always found the bottom speakers to sound kinda unbalanced. This has been my experience with pretty much all cabs. To me the top speakers always seem to sound more "balanced".

After having placed the same speaker in both the top and the bottom, I've found that in the bottom, it seems to emphasize the ~3-4k region a bit more, and in the top, ~2k is a bit more pronounced. Also, the lower treble/extreme upper mids (5-7k) are a bit louder but less spiky/buzzy/harsh in the top.

I always use the top speakers, yeah. There was one bottom speaker that I liked, and I liked it even more after I switched it out with a top speaker. :p

Cheers for the replies dudes. :headbang:

What, only 3 people record slanted Cabs?

Based on the cabs I've owned, I prefer bottom cabs. They sound a bit ballsier, IMHO. :headbang:

Edit: It's worth mentioning that I use traditional (Marshall sized) cabs, however. An oversized Mesa slant probably still has more internal volume than a Marshall-sized bottom cab, giving a lower resonant frequency.

Yeah, I always thought bottom cabs were the preference for recording, both for ease of mic positioning and the fact that they are ballsier from what I've heard; Marshall, for example, says (referring to the 1960B) that "This has a thicker, warmer sound than the 1960A with a fat, well-defined midrange and a rounded high end that sparkles nicely while not being overly bright. It also has a good low end 'chunk' which never gets 'boomy,'" as well as "B (Base) cabinets offer some sonic differences. A straight cab sounds more focused and has more low-end thump. The additional size gives the cabinet a lower resonant frequency for more low-end. All speakers facing the same direction gives a more focused sound." It's not like Marshall has anything to gain by selling B cabinets over A, so I'm willing to take this as genuine rather than marketing hooha.

Yeah, I always thought bottom cabs were the preference for recording, both for ease of mic positioning and the fact that they are ballsier from what I've heard; Marshall, for example, says (referring to the 1960B) that "This has a thicker, warmer sound than the 1960A with a fat, well-defined midrange and a rounded high end that sparkles nicely while not being overly bright. It also has a good low end 'chunk' which never gets 'boomy,'" as well as "B (Base) cabinets offer some sonic differences. A straight cab sounds more focused and has more low-end thump. The additional size gives the cabinet a lower resonant frequency for more low-end. All speakers facing the same direction gives a more focused sound." It's not like Marshall has anything to gain by selling B cabinets over A, so I'm willing to take this as genuine rather than marketing hooha.
When you're only miking one speaker, why would a more focused sound overall matter? I'm not disagreeing, just being curious. Seems like a Slanted cab will give more options - both straight speakers and the angled ones on top.

Yeah, but I've definitely learned that the overall sound of the cab is picked up even when you're close mic'ing just one speaker, and because a slanted cab has the top speakers at a different angle, the waves are gonna reflect differently inside the cab (though I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing, just different), and there's also less internal room because of said angle.

...because a slanted cab has the top speakers at a different angle, the waves are gonna reflect differently inside the cab (though I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing, just different), and there's also less internal room because of said angle.

That was along the lines of what I was originally thinking. I had a look at some pics and responses of what people are using and decided on the Angled. A pic of Andy's amps and cabs showed a Slanted Mesa Cab, Studio Fredman pics showed a Slanted ENGL cab (top speaker mic'd) and quite a few here use Slanted Cabs so I thought I would go for that. That's what I had to go on.