WOW - the top and bottom speakers in an angled cab do NOT sound the same!

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So I felt like doing a speaker shootout today to decide which speaker I liked best, and although I couldn't decide on one just yet, I did realized that there's definitely a difference between the bottom row and the top! (this is on my Mesa Stiletto SLANT 4x12). I reamped the same performance at (approximately) the same volume for each, and tried to put the mic in as close to the same spot on each speaker as possible, and even though they all sound different, I think you guys will agree that the bottom two and top each sounding similar to one another (with my favorite DEFINITELY being the bottom two, they sound much fuller IMO).

Maybe there are other factors contributing to this, like the hardwood floor the cab was standing on (on casters, naturally), but either way, I know I'll be mic'ing the bottom speakers from now on!

Here's a link to an archive file with the 4 mp3's (UL = Upper Left, UR = upper right, etc.). Thought you guys would be interested in this! Oh, and you'll have to crank your speakers, I didn't do any kind of "mastering" (meaning, loudness maximizing ;)).

Cool dude, I'd love to hear it, but unfortunately I can't get it to work! The download dialog box takes forever to show up when I click on the link, and then the file is always corrupted when it eventually does download :erk: In the meantime, though, I'll ask this: if you knew about the top/bottom speaker discrepancy beforehand (or maybe you didn't), how come you went for the slant Recto standard, rather than another straight like your old Traditional?

Yep, can't get either file for some reason. I hate the top speakers on my angled Framus.

The speakers in my straight oversized all sound pretty different! I did the same experiment recently, just not reamped.

-Joe

Hmm, aren't the bottom speakers simply more on the lowend side because of the resonance physics of the cab itself or because of the resonating floor their standing on? Meaning, is the additional lowend usable because my observation has been that at least 75% of all recorded cabs are top speakers?

Hmm, yeah, looks like I can't download my own file either - stupid esnips. But to answer your question Abyss, the added fullness (I wouldn't even really say low end, cuz it's not like its woofy) is definitely extremely useable and sounds way better to my ears; I kept the casters on the cab, so I think that provided a fair amount of decoupling from the floor, so I don't think there was too much resonance going on there (and the volume wasn't that loud, neighbors!) and I'm curious where you've gotten the impression that the majority of tones are recorded with the top speakers (not doubting you, it's just rare that I see pictures of the mic'ing setup for my favorite pro guitar tones)

The speakers in my straight oversized all sound pretty different! I did the same experiment recently, just not reamped.

-Joe

Are there any consistencies though, namely do the top two sound similar to each other and different (specifically thinner) than the bottom two?

The best sound from my Mesa Standard 4x12 is from the bottom left speaker. Until I actually made the time to experiment on all 4, I really didn't think there could be that much difference between them...man was I wrong.

~006

It's not only the low end. The top speakers give some off-axis..ish sound no matter where you point the mic, sounds a bit like comb filtering I guess and is probably due to the angle of the baffle/speaker.

Esnips is tripping. Uploaded the file to here:

http://www.mediafire.com/GuitarHack

The mic was 50/50 dustcap/cone so the tone isn't the most desireable.

Marcus, I had only suspected a difference between the Straight and Slant Cabs speakers before buying the Slant. As mentioned by abyssofdreams a few photo's I had seen showed the Top speakers in the Slant being mic'd (a couple of Studio Fredman pics come to mind). I thought that if there was a difference then at least I would have the option if I bought the Slant.

Joe, I understand what you are saying about all your speakers sounding different in the Straight and this is the same with the Slant, but there is more of a distinct difference between the Top and Bottom speakers in the Slant. My Straight Traditional speakers were different but had a similar "body" if that makes sence (that's what I was referring to when I said "were quite similar" in my earlier post, from Top to Bottom). The Slant Top and Bottom have a different "body". I referred to it earlier incorrectly as low-end, it is more of a body or fullness.

I always mic the top set. The reason is that I want to keep away from the radiating bass that's being transmitted across the floor, and of course the early reflections off the floor itself. Despite the speakers usually being so intensely close mic'ed, the room does still factor into the tone.

This is confirmed to me by the clips you posted up just now, GH. The bottom set sound phasier, like there's some kind of comb filtering effect going on, with a boomier low-end. The top have more usable core mids. I had never put it to the test, and only took it on principle, but thanks for outlining that for me. Phew, good to be vindicated.

I think the Bottom Right sounds worst and Top Right sounds best. Although personally I could go with either the top left or right, depending on different vibes. The left seems more scooped, where the right seems more pronounced in the mids.

Bottom left is the best and bottom right is worst. The top speakers again have this off axis sound I don't like.

GuitarHack, Metaltastic...

Yes, there seem to be consistencies. After further listening, it seems that my bottom left speaker is my least favorite. The top left seems to be my favorite. I know part of my opinion is based on the fact that no mic position can really be the same when experimenting, but the bottom left has that "phasey" sound, with an almost thin body.

Top left and bottom right are my favorites, but again, they sound different. Top left sounds most full to me, so I'll probably keep working on getting my sound with it.

-Joe

I often move speakers between cabs and I label them as such. also, I have spent time with each to determine it's quality. Speakers by no means are created equally.

GB-1 => Greenback #1
GB1.jpg