Mesa Cab Duel - Recto vs. Stiletto!

but for those of us with quicktime in our browsers, a direct link to a WAV or mp3 is very useful

Ugghh, see I hate that cuz it always causes everything to lock up for a sec, and autoplays, ARRGGGHHH :lol: And thanks for the comments guys, and yup, them riffs is mine! :D

It definitely sounds different than the traditional. I want to say "better", but I'm starting to prefer the midrange of traditional sized cabs to be honest. I just offed my Oversized yesterday. I definitely dig the tightness more of Oversized cabs. In general I think the tone sounds a bit thin, but the "good" clip sounding better.

Did you try micing all four speakers yet to see which sounds best? Like yours, mine sounded WAY different and I found the sweet spot on two of em. I read that you tried two speakers, but it's worth trying all four!

I think you should give it a bit less dustcap in my opinion. This was always tough for me, because I had to find a happy medium of something not too fizzy, but not too dark and undefined.

-Joe

Yeah, I only tried the bottom two speakers, haven't messed with the top (though I'll probably open the cab up and swap 'em since I prefer the bottom spots ;)); tons of experimentation to be done!

And you guys are right, listening today it does seem a bit too fizzy/"plasticky" in the hi-end, though believe me, it's not the amp but rather how I've tweaked it! Think I'll experiment with a bit less treble (and a bit more presence to compensate), though I'm pretty happy with the mic position! Ah the search for tonez...

Eh, "tightness" perhaps, but "definition" I'd have to disagree with because of the stuffiness/wooliness; as skeksis said, the emphasis in the Recto cab is shifted from that nasty (IMO) region down to some delicious chunk, which makes it feel overall clearer and more defined to me! And with a Tube Screamer and reasonable bass adjustment, it's plenty tight as well!

And I'll be re-tweaking the Recto today and posting more clips, so you all can really hear what this head/cab can do!

Cof cof....if you need something for a test....cof cof....there are some DI's...cof cof :p

Hahaha, my bad dude, totally forgot about those - I'll definitely get to 'em in the next couple of days! (and it's "cough," by the way :D)

It sounds like you're using the same cab, but aiming the mic different.
idn_smilie.gif

Sorry man, just my 0.02.

It sounds like you're using the same cab, but aiming the mic different.
idn_smilie.gif

Sorry man, just my 0.02.

Hey, no apology needed, I never said I only wanted positive feedback! ;) But trust me, the mic was just as close to the dustcap on the Stiletto cab recordings as on the Recto cab ones, maybe even a bit closer!

The Woolmachine and its midhump actually sounds more pleasing to me... not as clear, especially noticeable at the ringing chords, but kinda smoother.

Eh, "tightness" perhaps, but "definition" I'd have to disagree with because of the stuffiness/wooliness; as skeksis said, the emphasis in the Recto cab is shifted from that nasty (IMO) region down to some delicious chunk, which makes it feel overall clearer and more defined to me! And with a Tube Screamer and reasonable bass adjustment, it's plenty tight as well!

And I'll be re-tweaking the Recto today and posting more clips, so you all can really hear what this head/cab can do!

And of course, I'm speaking assuming both cabs have V30s (and not, say, Black Shadows ;))

Yeah because I was gonna say, mine isnt stuffy at all.