Well, you all can now say "I told you so"

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
But I too have decided to sell my Stiletto cab in favor of a Rectifier cab. My logic at first (and from all that I had heard) was that the Recto cab was more scooped sounding, the Stiletto cab had more mids, so for me, the mid-lover that I am, the choice was clear.

HOWEVER, what I've come to realize after months of owning this and mic'ing it up is that it's got more mids, but in the range I don't want them in - the "wooly" (as I've come to call it) 400-500 Hz range. I've tried all the speakers, and many many mic positions, but them wooly midz are just very oppressive, and while they could be eq'ed out, I'd rather get it right from the source, and I've come to realize that's where the scoopage of a Recto cab lies, and why it's such a legendary cab for recording (and I'll still be able to get my warm and fuzzy mids at around 1k with it, since that's not really where it's scooped, or not as much anyway). BUT, don't think I'll give you bastards the satisfaction, oh no - I'm gonna beat you to it!

Those two Aussie bastards said:
WE TOLD YOU SO!!!

:heh: Now I just gotta sell this sucker - Craigslist to the rescue! But at least Stiletto cabs always go for more $$ used than Recto cabs, simply because Recto cabs are EVERYWHERE

And for the record, my favorite guitar tones are Bloodbath's "The Fathomless Mystery," Decapitated's "The Negation," and pretty much anything Lord Bogren has bestowed his divine touch upon ("Ghost Reveries," "Watershed," "Twilight of the Thunder God," and "TGCD" being the big ones)

Lol Marcus, took you long enough ;)

How much are you looking to get for your Stiletto cab? Local pickup or shipping/both?

~006

Marcus, you are INSANE!!! You can open you're own used gear consignment shop! I think you're single handedly resurrecting the US economy. I want you to do a little test. Pick up guitar-->Plug guitar into Tube Screamer-->Plug Tube Screamer into Dual Rec-->Plug Dual Rec into Recto cab-->Turn power on and feel pants move and floor shake. Test complete.

I swear, Marcus, when you stand in front of that fucking thing and play at full volume, you'll need to change your underpants. I've seen tons of fairly priced Recto cabs on Craigslist recently, especially in Philly. If you see a cab down there that you'd like I can grab it for you and meet in NY.

Marcus, you are INSANE!!! You can open you're own used gear consignment shop! I think you're single handedly resurrecting the US economy. I want you to do a little test. Pick up guitar-->Plug guitar into Tube Screamer-->Plug Tube Screamer into Dual Rec-->Plug Dual Rec into Recto cab-->Turn power on and feel pants move and floor shake. Test complete.

I swear, Marcus, when you stand in front of that fucking thing and play at full volume, you'll need to change your underpants. I've seen tons of fairly priced Recto cabs on Craigslist recently, especially in Philly. If you see a cab down there that you'd like I can grab it for you and meet in NY.

Hahaha, yeah, I hear ya Todd, and thanks for the offer, I'll let you know once I'll sell this bad boy! ($600 local, btw Mike, which is literally exactly what I paid for it! :))

Man your persistence impresses me. I could not be arsed to sell + buy a cab only to improve a minor aspect like that! But your right in doing so!
I only wonder if you'll ever stop. I guess sometime it'll come full circle and he'll buy a JSX (or better 5150 lol) again...:D

Man your persistence impresses me. I could not be arsed to sell + buy a cab only to improve a minor aspect like that! But your right in doing so!
I only wonder if you'll ever stop. I guess sometime it'll come full circle and he'll buy a JSX (or better 5150 lol) again...:D

And you only wonder if I'll ever stop? What makes you think you know me?

I wonder if you'll stop replacing gear one day! For knowing that you have an obsession for that I know you well enough lol!

Thinking about it a little: Man I'm not much better in that regard in any way...hehe

P.s.: I am looking forward to your recto cab impulses!:)

Hey man, I was wondering when you'd come around to it. I think you'll find the Recto Standard much easier to deal with. The difference in that thing unboosted and TSed is HUGE. It has a lot of flabby sub-lows that just disappear and the whole low-end simply tightens up with a decent TS.

As you were saying, the mids are much better spread out over the spectrum on the RS, so they're a ton easier to record. I think people get misguided because combined with the sub-lows and seeming lack of mids when standing above and off axis to the cab, they somehow thing it's more hollow sounding. For our purposes however all that matters is how it sounds dead on, right in front of the speakers, and it's there where the RS consistently obliterates the Stiletto cab.

:p

:D

:lol:

Be prepared for a very different sounding cab especially under the mic. I still have a love/hate thing with mine. Probably due to my mic'ing (dis)ability more than the Cab though. :heh:

Ahhhhhhhh, the quest for the perfect tone...................................will it ever end? Gotta get to the end of that rainbow someday.