Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
album.

of.

the.

year.

Excluding the masterful The Human Equation of course :D. Seriously though, this album is amazing. If Symphony X has proven themselves to be the prog metal band with powermetal tendancies, then Angra prooves themselves as the opposite with this album; an amazing powermetal band with strong progressive tendancies. Sections of this album bring to mind Images and Words era Dream Theater. Edu sounds more forceful than on Rebirth and Kiko is simply fucking deadly on guitar. A guitarist has not impressed me quite as much with his performance on an album since Stephan Forte on Adagio's Underworld. Anyway, go get this disc.

I agree, I think it's incredible. But..there is one irritant to me about this CD........

Something just doesn't seem right in the vocal production. Yes, his voice is more forceful, I like it. But he is overshadowed in production, I think. It's so critical in this type of music to have an effective balance. I just can't put my finger on it, but it's the mixing of vocal tracks on the heavier songs that grate on my nerves. Other than that, an awesome accomplishment for them.

Absolutely best album of the year, and Kiko's work is brilliant, and talking about it, does anyone know where can I find some tabs for a few songs of this album? I just can't get the sound right..

I have to retract my first statement I made about this album that it sounded too much like Rhapsody. I was ignorant and hadn't listened to it long enough. For the last month, this album has held a permanent spot in my cd player. Top 3 highlights for me: Waiting in Silence, The Shadow Hunter, No Pain for the Dead. Love the album, just took some time to get used to.

Yngvai X said:
album. of. the. year. Excluding the masterful The Human Equation of course :D. Seriously though, this album is amazing. If Symphony X has proven themselves to be the prog metal band with powermetal tendancies, then Angra prooves themselves as the opposite with this album; an amazing powermetal band with strong progressive tendancies. Sections of this album bring to mind Images and Words era Dream Theater. Edu sounds more forceful than on Rebirth and Kiko is simply fucking deadly on guitar. A guitarist has not impressed me quite as much with his performance on an album since Stephan Forte on Adagio's Underworld. Anyway, go get this disc.
Aside from the fact that I like "Temple of Shadows" better than "The Human Equation", I would agree completely with the remainder of this post. I'd be surprised to find any SX fans who wouldn't thoroughly enjoy this CD.

Zod

I listen to songs for the melody mainly then arranging comes second. In the sense of having great arrangements this is awesome stuff from what I've heard. The guitars kick ass, and Kiko is probably the most versatile metal guitarists out there. But, I would say I was dissapointed in the melodies with an exception for some stuff. But I need to hear the rest of the album to really judge this thouroghly.

I have always sort of been on the fence with Angra....I like them....I don't like them....however I agree..this album is not only the best album they have done...it very well may be the album of the year!! :headbang:

most memorable albums this year

Platitude-Nine
Mind Key-Journey of a Rough Diamond
Angra-Temple of Shadows

Soul of Ice said:
So Lady of the Oracle won't lock this post since it promotes Angra?
Major band (ie: well known/established bands) discussions are fine, they're fewer and farther between as well as more populated..it's the dozens of 'here, listen to my cd' or the 'hey my brother's cousin's stepsister's uncle twice removed has a cd, check it out' posts with one reply each that were cluttering up the board. You've made it clear that you're not happy with the official promotion thread, & your point's been noted..let it go now.

I orderd the limited edition of this album yesterday on amazon.co.uk (the only version they had), i thought it was a bargain at 11.99 for the album and a bonus live cd.

Just found out it is a live DVD!!!!

Cant wait till tommorow, thats my bargain of the year!!!!

HellFire said:
I orderd the limited edition of this album yesterday on amazon.co.uk (the only version they had), i thought it was a bargain at 11.99 for the album and a bonus live cd.

Just found out it is a live DVD!!!!

Cant wait till tommorow, thats my bargain of the year!!!!

I have that limited edition. Dvd is in PAL so unless you have an all region dvd player your SOL. HOWEVER, IT does play on the computer. :D

Oh, yeah. THIS ALBUM KILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one massively disappointed in this album? I was so thrilled with the quality in production and song writing on Rebirth I was sure this album would be one of my fav prog/power albums of all time, and I was completely let down. Not only is the production worse than Rebirth in all regards, but all instrumental performances are weaker. The drums are trite and have the most typical uninteresting standard power metal sound available, the same problem that kept me from really getting into Stratovarius. The guitars are unengaging in tone and Kikos solo work is especially uninteresting and contributes nothing to the songs. Edu's voice sounds so less full and powerful than on Rebirth, which had that outstanding vibrant power metal sound. All the energy and drama seems drained of it in an attempt to be darker that just comes off as duller. Most importantly though, is that the melodies are just completly uninteresting and unengaging. I just don't care about them at all, they lack that originallity and creativity that made Rebirth so powerful. Granted I haven't listened to the album for more than a couple weeks and it has happened that some albums need a good amount of time to grow on a person, but rarely in the power metal genre. I know I'll never be pleased with this production. I'm sure you guys will have a field day with this but I really think this album was one of the bigger disappointments I've suffered in the genre.

Listening now - it's bloody good. I do agree with Pharoah's comment on the vocal mix to a certain extent though.

Angra are doing an extra show in the UK with Dragonforce in February \m/
I cannot wait.