anihilator- any recommendations?

max

Apr 25, 2002
london
Visit site
ages ago i had 'alice in hell' which i thought was a pretty amazing thrash record. i never really followed the band but know they had about 10 line ups changes...
i feel like dipping into their catalogue- can anyone recommend which are their best CDs? didn't they lose their thrash sound or something, are they now just more straight up metal???
thanks anyone

max said:
ages ago i had 'alice in hell' which i thought was a pretty amazing thrash record. i never really followed the band but know they had about 10 line ups changes...
i feel like dipping into their catalogue- can anyone recommend which are their best CDs? didn't they lose their thrash sound or something, are they now just more straight up metal???
thanks anyone

I like 'Alice In Hell', figuring the band I was in covered a few songs. My band opened for them on their 'Never, Neverland' tour in 1990. They put on a great show, and I believe this was their best album. Jeff Waters is a very underrated guitarist and songwriter.

I have 'Criteria of a black widow' and listen to it on a regular basis. I haven't really listened to anything else of their newer stuff.

max said:
thanks anyone

I highly recommend Never, Neverland, as I always loved Jeff's knack for challenging thrash riffs. In 1993, they released Set the World Afire (which is exactly what the album didn't do) and probably ranks as their most commercially pandering album to date. Criteria for a Black Widow was an outstanding return to form, and continues a theme of my favorite song from Neverland. You'll know if you get it.

Good to see old thrash making a comeback in these thar parts. Good luck with the search.

thraxhead

thraxhead said:
I highly recommend Never, Neverland, as I always loved Jeff's knack for challenging thrash riffs. In 1993, they released Set the World Afire (which is exactly what the album didn't do) and probably ranks as their most commercially pandering album to date. Criteria for a Black Widow was an outstanding return to form, and continues a theme of my favorite song from Neverland. You'll know if you get it.

Good to see old thrash making a comeback in these thar parts. Good luck with the search.

thraxhead
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!! or just get a live album of theres or something!

i got all the annihilator cds and i love'em all remains is the only one that is less metal but jeff waters is one of the best thrash metal guitar players, cd to listen

alice in hell, never neverland, set the world, carnival diablos and waking the fury

thanks for the tips guys!

i think i'll get 'never neverland' and then 'criteria'.

what style is set the word afire: is it not thrash and just straight hard metal...?

dude i totally reccommend gettin their latest cd, double live annihilation, i hear its a most excellent annihilator album and i know for sure it covers all their good songs, and this album was just a perk they put out for their fans that are waiting for the new studio disc.

Annihilator is one of my favorite bands. :D

Alice in Hell is great, but you had the album already so you know how it is. Neverland is a good choice as well. Criteria for a Black Widow is was a great Back to form for this band. Carnival Diablous is like a cover album in a way. They played songs in the way other bands would of played them. Judas Priest songs, Bruce Dickinson Singing, Slayer songs and even stole a riff from Pantera Walk. Waking the Fury is a touchy album for most, the guitar is distorted and a lot of ppl didn't like it much for that reason.

Neverland then Criteria is a great order. But I too do agree with the guy that suggested Double Live Annihilation because then you get to hear a bit of all their catalogue except Criteria which was included in DLA for what ever reason.

i've just ordered the double CD set of AIH/NN for £9 including delivery from roadrunner uk. now that is a BARGAIN!!

will look into criteria (if i can find it in shops...), then the live disc.

weapon x: what is set the world afire like? i hear mixed opinions...

Set The World On Fire

It's one of those albums you either like it or you don't. It's their most melodic and has 2 or 3 ballads. It's not thrashy just metal. If you like a more softer side of heavy metal then you'd like it, but if your craving a real heavier thrashier music then I don't think this should be at the top of the list. It's just a great up beat metal album.

Set the World on Fire the song is wicked live, sounds much much heavier.

Jeff Waters the mastermind of Annihilator has said that he "thinks the riffs on this album is the heaviest that he has made." Maybe but the overall sound is far from being the heaviest.

set the world is not thrash , is heavy hard rock but is awesome, the musicianship and the songs are killers, the drummer rules , is a cd with some jazz, and the compositions are just out of this world

so, on criteria they got back randy rampage to do vocals!?!?! i liked his voice- he was quite cool i thought. he could do high pitched and growl...

max said:
thanks for the tips guys!

i think i'll get 'never neverland' and then 'criteria'.

what style is set the word afire: is it not thrash and just straight hard metal...?

I dunno, I thought Set the World Afire had some of their weaker songs on it. Early 90's metal by most established bands at that time were either hit or miss (ie- Testament - The Ritual, Overkill - I Hear Black, Metallica - s/t, Maiden - No Prayer/Fear of the Dark to name a few on the down side; the classics are all well documented). It was some of the up and coming bands in the early 90's that were keeping it alive, and they hadn't aquired the fan base of the established bands yet, especially the death metal scene.

I also have a theory that 1990 was the last year of musical freedom before the genre worshipping parade which was heralded by MTV began to break everything down into little boxes, and suddenly Joe Football Player and Mary Cheerleader all became modern rock fans overnight. There was such a broad range of diversity both on MTV and radio that year, as you would hear (on my local stations, anyway) Firehouse, Janet Jackson, Poison, The Cure, Sinhead O'Connor, Young MC, Warrant, Dee-Lite, Concrete Blonde, Phil Collins, MC Hammer, Europe, Depeche Mode, Wilson Phillips, Motley Crue and Aerosmith all back to back on the radio without anyone even thinking "that song didn't belong there" ....

November 1991 changed all of that, when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was switched from Headbanger's Ball into the regular rotation at MTV, and subsequently, radio didn't budge from what programmers at MTV played, knowing damn well that whatever that shitbox channel was feeding people would be safe for the stations to play to increase their ratings.

Sad.

Off topic but the underground scene in 1990 also had a wealth of diversity too.

just listening to criteria now! i DO like the record but there is something 'not quite right' about it. i can;t quite put my finger on it. but i think it's actually the singer who spoils it. the snare drum sound is pretty weak too, some of the melodies are a little cheesy. maybe there music was just a little too technical for them to have made it big, who knows...