Make some music recommendations...

Mar 4, 2002
I don't see much talk about other bands on here like other boards, which might be the reason this place gets slow when there's no Anthrax news, so if there's some kick-ass music you want people to know about let's hear it. If you've heard it and agree or disagree let's hear that too. I'll go first...

Trivium - Ascendancy

I hate to pigeon-hole these guys as metalcore, because they are so much better than other metalcore bands flooding the market right now, plus they have more of a thrash influence in their sound. Very fast, very heavy, and great melody. I think this album will make them a huge breakout band of '05.
MP3 - Love the solo in this song.

Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design

I turned someone onto these guys and their response was "Best Soilwork album ever." Funny and true at the same time. The Soilwork influence is hard to ignore but these guys do it so well. I defy anyone to listen to the songs on this album and not have the choruses stuck in their head afterwards. Definitely beats Stabbing the Drama and even though its only February will be near the top of my Best of '05 list.
MP3 from Metal Blade records

I've been listening to a lot of american power-metal lately - the bands I'd recommend for anyone who is into powerful melodic singing, ripping solos and anthemic, sword-wielding, maiden-esque metal I'd recommend Jag Panzer, Seven Witches (ex-member Joey Vera!), Skulview (disbanded) and Cauldron Born (disbanded). Also, Control Denied - The fragile art of existence
- Basically Death with "clean" vocals.

On the non-metal side of the spectrum, I'm currently listening:

Dead Can Dance - Towards the within, Spiritchaser
- Combine an oriental/medievalish sound, dark-haunting sounds and thoughtful lyrics with a chick that has an excellent voice and uses it beautifully and this is what you get.

Roni Size Reprazent - New forms
- I think it's called drum'n'bass... whatever... this shit is cool.

Helloween - Metal Jukebox

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle

....what I'm currently listening to that's non-Thrax.

I've been listening to Paw lately (Kansas band from the 90's) as well as Unearth, Shadows Fall, and the new Death Angel.

Motorhead - Inferno : Great album that really kicks your ass. Lemmy can still rock harder than anyone even after all these years. These amps go to eleven!

In Flames - Clay Man : The vocals may need to grow on you (especially for some of the earlier albums), but it's some good heavy shit. If you're going to pick one album to start, Clay Man is my personal favorite.

Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood : Eagerly awaiting their new album, but even though this one is a little on the old side now, it still gets a lot of play as "Fuel" is probably my favorite song right now.

Down - Nola : Another older album, but it just keeps getting better. Of all of Phil Anselmo's projects, Down is the best of them (in part because he does more singing and less screaming), with a lot of Zeppelin influences.

Suicidal Tendencies - Free Your Soul and Save My Mind : Man, have these guys ever been all over the place over the years, but they are still a lot of fun. "Pop Songs" is an instant classic that pretty much sums up my feelings about, well, pop songs.

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden: Excelent Power type Metal, with Ripper Owens on Vocals

Death - Symbolic: R.I.P Chuck one of Metals best vocalist & Guitarists\

Anthrax - The Greater Of Two Evils: Need i tell you

Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark: One of the best Maiden albums with Janek

Shadows Fall - The War Within: Great fucking band, Hardcore/tradditional Metal

Metallica - Kill Em All: Classic most have Metallica

Testament - First Strike Still Deadly: Brilliant re-recording of Great Testament songs

thats what i have been listening to. :Spin: :wave: :Spin: Good Metal Right There

emtfhII said:
I've been listening to Paw lately (Kansas band from the 90's) as well as Unearth, Shadows Fall, and the new Death Angel.

Yeah ive heard of that band paw. they were awesome. they were probably one of the least known bands ever. the song the had "jessie" was cool.

today I'm mostly listening to my hangover.

my picks

Indie 103.1 plays a lot of the Clash, Bob Marley and some 80s alternative stuff I really like

I pulled few tricks this weekend.

the Alarm - Marching On (EP) and Declaration
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
New York Metal 1984 - A compliation that Overkill is on
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengance
Bugsy Malone - Movie Soundtrack (great intro music for a Metal show all over this)
Jester - (EP) My friends high school band.

OK, this is lying around here at the moment:

Avulsed - Stabwound orgrasm (melodic yet powerful Death Metal from Spain)
Cro-Mags - Best Wishes
Crumbsuckers - Life Of Dreams
Demoniac - Stormblade (Black´n´Roll from New Zealand)
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
D.R.I. - Full Speed Ahead
Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud, Sing Proud
Dying Fetus - Grotesque Impalement
Exciter - Long Live The Loud
Gwar - America Must Be Destroyed (there are some really good songs on it)
Lividity - Till Only The Sick Remain
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Six Feet Under - Warpath
Sodom - Persecution Mania
The Clash - London Calling

As you might have noticed, most of it is pretty old.

Schurl said:
OK, this is lying around here at the moment:

Avulsed - Stabwound orgrasm (melodic yet powerful Death Metal from Spain)
Cro-Mags - Best Wishes
Crumbsuckers - Life Of Dreams
Demoniac - Stormblade (Black´n´Roll from New Zealand)
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
D.R.I. - Full Speed Ahead
Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud, Sing Proud
Dying Fetus - Grotesque Impalement
Exciter - Long Live The Loud
Gwar - America Must Be Destroyed (there are some really good songs on it)
Lividity - Till Only The Sick Remain
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Six Feet Under - Warpath
Sodom - Persecution Mania
The Clash - London Calling

As you might have noticed, most of it is pretty old.

Nice Mix