The Official 2007 Recommendations List

Mastodon "Blood Mountain"
After picking up this album on the day it came out, I went back and picked up thier whole collection.
Very cool band, very original. You can hear alot of influences from some of our favorite bands as well.

My favorite album of 2006 is still Motorhead's Kiss of Death
I'll throw out a couple recommendations to start:

Clutch "From Beale Street to Oblivion" - Okay, technically it's not until March, but thanks to MyHatred for helping me get my hands on an early version of it (it's pretty widely available through most torrent sites now). A good collection of stoner rock that won't throw out any surprises for fans of the past few albums. The first few tracks stand out especially. It probably won't be my top album of 2007 given some of the potential other albums being released this year, but right now its getting a lot of play in my CD player.

Interesting you mention Kiss of Death and Clutch together.

I saw Clutch supporting Motorhead on the Kiss of Death tour last year and I was impressed.

Could you recommend me any particular album of theirs that would be good to start with for a new-comer?

PS Kiss of Death was my fave album of last year too, by a LONG way :headbang:

After picking up this album on the day it came out, I went back and picked up thier whole collection.
Very cool band, very original. You can hear alot of influences from some of our favorite bands as well.

Seeing them live when the open up for Slayer

seeing em in two months and you can tbe more correct

Could you recommend me any particular album of theirs that would be good to start with for a new-comer?
Blast Tyrant is probably my favorite Clutch album, but Robot Hive-Exodus wouldn't be a bad place to start either. My favorite song of theirs, "Willie Nelson", can be found on Slow Hole to China, though that's a rarities & b-side album, which, while not a bad album, might not be the best place for a newcomer to start.

My recommendations? Anthrax's new album - "We've come among the living"
With songs like: What doesn't mosh, Skeleton in the cadillac , Caught in a safe home, Imitation od Dahlia, Refuse to be Living, Nobody knows one world,
Strap it on Indains, NFS (Orehrepusnikufesin).

Blast Tyrant is probably my favorite Clutch album, but Robot Hive-Exodus wouldn't be a bad place to start either. My favorite song of theirs, "Willie Nelson", can be found on Slow Hole to China, though that's a rarities & b-side album, which, while not a bad album, might not be the best place for a newcomer to start.

Cheers for the recommendation!

:headbang:

Just ordered the new Big Business "Here Come The Waterworks" cd. They are the other half of the Melvins and their last album "Head For The Shallow" was a pretty bitchin album filled with fuzzed out bass and slamming drums. I normally loathe two piece bands because they are usually total shit but these guys are different. Jared sounds almost like King Buzzo's kid brother and Coady beats the drums like they are his red headed step-child. Will come back with a full report on the album once I have heard it. I doubt that I am going to dislike it though, I heard some new songs off this album already when I went and saw the Melvins/Big Biz tour three days in a row.

Maybe we should just make this a "recent purchase recommendations" thread? That way it doesn't have to pertain completely to 2007 and can be any album that you bought that you think others should buy.

Well, since i had to wait until March 6th to recieve my Big Bizz cd, I figured I would seek it out and download that biiioootch while I am waiting. Anyways, here is my useless review of the album that none of you will buy.

Tracklisting
Just as the Day was Dawning
Hands Up
Shields
Grounds for Divorce
Another Fourth of July...Ruined
Start Your Digging
I'll Give You Something to Cry About
Another Beautiful Day in the Pacific Northwest

Initial impressions: Much more accessible than Head for the Shallow. These songs are catchier, slightly faster, better recorded, and they simply ROCK. This is probably the best recorded material Jared has ever done. Karp fans know what I'm talking about. Nice clean mix, great distortion, heavy drums, great vocals. Whats nice is you can pick up subtle guitar parts that you couldn't here before.

Individual Song Notes:

Just as the Day was Dawning - I've heard this track on their myspace page and from the Tour II EP. This is a new recording though and its much better! Great way to start the album because it reminds you of why you like this band so much. Its my second favorite track on this album.

Hands Up - Another track I've heard from the Tour II EP. Again, this is a new recording. Its hard to believe that they made this song more energetic than it already was, but they did. STAMPEDE!

Shields - I've heard this song somewhere before, probably live. One of their 'darker' tracks in terms of melody and lyrics. Decent track.

Grounds for Divorce - I've heard this on their myspace page (its still up there). Upbeat, rocking, decent track.

Another Fourth of July...Ruined - This is the gem of the album, in my opinion. If you were fortunate enough to catch the Melvins/BB tour this year, you heard this track. This is the song they played to change over from BB to Melvins. The one with the military-esque cadence. Everytime I hear this track I find myself in a near hypnotic trance, almost like a flashback to the shows. You will be playing this song extremely loud in your car. Please don't bang your head into the steering wheel-unless you are Anthrax Mosher, but he can't afford a car, so nevermind....

Start your Digging - Another re-recorded track from the Tour II EP (where's Be Stiff?!). Another track I would deem 'darker' in terms of melody. Decent track.

I'll Give you Something to Cry About - This track clocks in close to 10 minutes. Its not a dirgy, thick, maniacal mess that you'd expect, however, I found myself lost in it. Its quite progressive, if I understand what that means. Its a good, standard BB song, they just take their time getting to the point. A lot more guitar on this song than the others, it plays a little more important role. Good song if you have the patience for it.

Another Beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest - Instrumental track. Great listen and my third favorite on the album. It doesn't really go anywhere, but its catchy and you don't mind.

Sorry if my review sucks. I don't do them that often. I can tell you that I'd give this album an 8.5-9 whereas I'd give Head for the Shallows a 7.5. This is a step in the right direction for BB in terms of song writing and production.

Just bought new Kittie-Funeral For Yesterday. I've only listened to it once and a half(plus has a DVD). I like it. I seem to have a thing for bands who go through great diversity in their bandmates. :rolleyes: It's a good cd but ya might want a few of their downloads from it at myspace even though it was on sale at Bestbuy for $7.99.

I bought an album yesterday that I completely overlooked....Bloodbath:OMG: the album "Nightmares Made Flesh" is awesome!!! I think it was released '05 but regardless, if you like some brutal metal, then this album should be bought. I was listening to a metal sampler that came with one of my old cds for the first time, and their song came on and it blew me away to the point that I went to my favorite metal store and bought it last night:headbang: Good shit.