Need Car Audio Recommendations

bsbarnes

SymphonyX Fan
Feb 11, 2002
Powder Springs, GA
Visit site
My 10 year old car needs a new stereo system. It currently has just the head unit and 2 pairs of 6.5" speakers. I plan to replace the head unit with a more powerful one and replace the existing speakers with better 6.5s.

The system thumps but doesn't have enough mid-range, and the mid-range it has doesn't bring out the guitar crunch like I want. Recommendations on head unit wattage and speakers that produce a good metal sound are appreciated.

Get any ALPINE head unit, and i suggest going with either BOSTON ACOUSTIC or POLK AUDIO speakers. It won't set you back tons of money and you get a setup with great lows Highs and awesome mid-range sound.

My 10 year old car needs a new stereo system. It currently has just the head unit and 2 pairs of 6.5" speakers. I plan to replace the head unit with a more powerful one and replace the existing speakers with better 6.5s.

The system thumps but doesn't have enough mid-range, and the mid-range it has doesn't bring out the guitar crunch like I want. Recommendations on head unit wattage and speakers that produce a good metal sound are appreciated.

You're going to have to get an amp too in order to really do what you want. I would call my buddies at Bavarian Soundwerks off of Howell Mill Road in Atlanta. They specialize in euro cars but they can probably hook you up, not knowing what you drive. They have a private label speaker that's really inexpensive and made by alumapro. I have a set of them in my M3 with 2 10" subs & 2 Elemental Designs amps, and they sound incredible, with the factory head unit no less.

When you call them up ask for Jason or Coby and tell them I referred you to them. They're really straight up guys. http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/index.php

I've always been a fan of Pioneer for car audio, my old car had a Pioneer head unit, amp and speakers and it sounded great. Can't touch the system in my new car cuz its a lease though :(

After 20 years shopping, installing and enjoying systems I can provide a relatively informed opinion--but you gotta provide a price point, and the make/model of the car.

Generalities: Spend more on speakers than you think you should, and less on the head unit than you think you might. For our kind of music, you want a smaller subwoofer, one that hits quicker than these big bass pieces of shit in the lowriders playing rap music. Once again, less is more.

I spent about 500 dollars on the system here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/813652/6

Speakers 150 bucks
Head unit 250 bucks
Subwoofer and Amp: 50 bucks (used, but sound great)
Wiring: 50 bucks

I'm cheap - I want to spend about $300. Maybe $125 for the head and $200 for speakers. I found out that I have 6.5s in the front and 6x9s in the back. Thanks for the replies and keep 'em coming.

I have a JVC my gf bought me last X-mas, but I picked it out. This thing even w/stock speakers fucking ROCKS! & even the bass w/out a subwoofer still has a real solid boom to it! It's an MP3 CD player, & is Sirius radio ready too! Also has an AUX input for say an external MP3 player. Has a user customizeabel EQ. Full MP3 tag reading capability. Search through folders just by one forward or backward button. Full removeable face-plate. It's a KD-G420; but, of course, find the newest model of that if you're interested.

I plan on getting new, REAL speakers in it after the New Year when I can afford it. But, it's the best car stereo I've ever heard! I LOVE this thing!:headbang:

It is 200 Watts MAX; 50 X 4, Has a MOS-FET Power Amp, 24-bit Resolution Burr-Brown 1-bit DAC. Also, has: MP3/WMA Compatible with ID3/WMA Tag, CD/CD-R/CD-RW Compatible, Selectable Front or Subwoofer Output Terminals. & you can hook up a multi-CD changer magazine to it! I HIGHLY recommend it anyone
needing a kick ass car stereo w/CD! ESP. to Metal-Heads!

I'm cheap - I want to spend about $300. Maybe $125 for the head and $200 for speakers. I found out that I have 6.5s in the front and 6x9s in the back. Thanks for the replies and keep 'em coming.

BTW, the system I listed was way less than $200. I forgot the exact amount though. But, I know it was way less than $200. I also will add an amp to when I get the speakers as well.

Get any ALPINE head unit, and i suggest going with either BOSTON ACOUSTIC or POLK AUDIO speakers. It won't set you back tons of money and you get a setup with great lows Highs and awesome mid-range sound.

That's my setup in my 10 year old Jeep Cherokee. I got an Alpine head unit with the iPod attachment, and new Polk Audio speakers for the doors. I also got an audio in for the portable XM radio (which can be moved from any of the three vehicles in our "fleet").

Works rather well. The Alpine is somewhat hard to program first time out, but other than that its a good system for the money. I had it done professionally at Tweeter.

Update - I replaced the stock head unit yesterday with a Kenwood KDC-MP208. It's a bottom-of-the-line unit with alot of good features that a local retailer was selling for $79 installed. The system already sounds better with the introduction of more power.

Since one of the rear 6x9s doesn't work, my next upgrade will be to install a set of Polk db690s, although a pair of Infinity Reference 9613i for $70 sure is tempting...

Thanks for all of the excellent recommendations!!! :headbang:

The other thing too is I hate when I hear about people having lost all these great cds in their car due to theft, its nicer to have all your source material at home where its safer.

Ed

The other thing too is I hate when I hear about people having lost all these great cds in their car due to theft, its nicer to have all your source material at home where its safer.

Ed

Main reason I got an MP3 CD player. Plus, I don't have to have 2 copies of EVERY CD, nor have to always go out to my car if I am at home & wanna listen to a CD that is out in the car! That's a pain in the ass! Esp. if the car is covered in a foot of snow! :eek:

+1

I bought a great head unit and 10-disk changer online, and then had them installed in my car at Circuit City. Unfortunately, they had my address, and paid me a visit 6 days later to steal both out of my car. The operation took less than 30 seconds and was completely professional, according to the cop.
I only lost the 10 CDs that were in the CD changer at the time, but two of them were irreplaceable. :cry:

Moral: if you ever have a good car stereo system installed somewhere, PAY IN CASH.

I also have one unit from XTRONS. Great quality radio and multiple ways to play music and video. High sound quality. 4 channels with 50 watts of utmost output. I am very impressed by XTRONS