Car speaker recommendations?

ParsonsMatt

Alas, Tyranny
Nov 15, 2006
Athens, GA
www.myspace.com
Sold the Ford Exploder and bought a car on Monday. The current speakers make everything sound like Transilvanian Hunger, so I'm going to replace them.. I need four 6.5" speakers, and my budget is ~$200.

I was considering the Polk db651s speakers, since Crutchfield has them on "buy one get one half off" right now. All the reviews I can find (of just about anything in the price range) are "Sounds so much better than stock!!" or "Not enough bass, needs a subwoofer" (duh), so they aren't much help...

EDIT: Went with the Polks!

You can do way better than that stuff... and Crutchfield is possibly the highest priced car audio website on the internet. It's a decent place to do research on stuff (not great though, because they don't carry a lot of better brands), but not the place you want to buy from.

Just spend some time doing some research online before you spend your money. Look at stuff by Focal, Rainbow, Image Dynamics, CDT Audio, etc.

You can do way better than that stuff... and Crutchfield is possibly the highest priced car audio website on the internet. It's a decent place to do research on stuff (not great though, because they don't carry a lot of better brands), but not the place you want to buy from.

Just spend some time doing some research online before you spend your money. Look at stuff by Focal, Rainbow, Image Dynamics, CDT Audio, etc.

I do all of my research on Crutchfield and I received a ton of great service and helpful advice from them before I made a single purchase. They cost a bit more for some things (the Polks I got were the same price as I would have paid on Amazon, including the speaker adapters), but I think its worth it to pay extra for their customer service.

Some things I won't be paying the premium for -- I plan on getting an Infinity Basslink sub, which is $300 on Crutchfield and $180 on Amazon. But if the difference is ~$20-30, I'd rather go with Crutchfield.

let me know how you like them, the current speakers in my car suck too

I finally got them installed today and I really like them :) Takes a bit of EQing to sound their best, but thats expected of anything like this... Great mids and highs. The bass is a bit weak but I expect that has more to do with my head unit (cheap JVC piece of junk), as I can EQ the bass up decently but then the head unit craps out at higher volumes. If the new H/U fixes this, then I may not need a sub at all :D

i feel as though i can never upgrade my car speakers because they're mediocre and i know them so well that the car test has become one of the most critical parts in my monitoring process. i never really know a mix is done until it sounds "correct" in my car. and the car system being crappy is crucial to that test... haha.

i feel as though i can never upgrade my car speakers because they're mediocre and i know them so well that the car test has become one of the most critical parts in my monitoring process. i never really know a mix is done until it sounds "correct" in my car. and the car system being crappy is crucial to that test... haha.

This. I have a blown speaker (front driver side) as well, but even with that I know my system so well that I could never replace them all because I test all my mixes on them.