animal snuff

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
ok, this should raise some feathers.

there is a new Hungarian film out that won some awards overseas and in which they actually kill a kitten by holding her underwater and drowning her. All this being filmed ...

The director, when questioned, claimed that they were going to euthanise it anyway the day after this shoot as it had a terminal illness.

Its pretty shitty to watch it ... what do you think? anything like this is worth it in the name of art?

check this vid in the middle of the page for the film outtake ... :erk:
http://index.hu/kultur/cinematrix/ccikkek/alszent4670

My first, natural response is to want to commit extreme acts of violence upon these persons. And I would, were I to ecounter them. I once hit a man in the face with a shovel for abusing his dog when I was seventeen, I doubt I've mellowed much in that regard.

As for art... it's an interesting question, and if I could manage to be objective about it, I would still say no on one simple basis. Even the most destructive aspects of art should ultimately be about creation or liberation. Nothing is particularly creative or liberating about drowning a kitten. Not in this manner.

I really want to punch something now.

As for art... it's an interesting question, and if I could manage to be objective about it, I would still say no on one simple basis. Even the most destructive aspects of art should ultimately be about creation or liberation. Nothing is particularly creative or liberating about drowning a kitten. Not in this manner.

I really want to punch something now.

good reasoning ... the director sounds like a prick anyway. he is feeding off the sensationalism this has caused him.

going to a Tribeca Film Festival private party tomorrow night for some Hungarian entries that came in this year ... this shit film was not part of them thank God ... but will pick the brains of others about this there.

i think the person who turns a blind eye to the horrible treatment animals generally recieve as they are raised to be slaughtered would be the one who needed that reality check most of all.

killing animals is killing animals. we can't justify it by saying we need to eat them to survive. not in the quantity and manner that we do.

whatever, drowning a cat is bad, raising animals in horrible conditions and then slaughtering them is bad. nobody's a winner.

Are you a vegetarian?

Honestly, if you can't differentiate between eating meat and drowning a kitten, then you're just a bit off kilter. This is not to justify any fucking aspect of the meat industry, as I'm sure the vast majority of us can acknowledge how horrible it is (and probably worse than we even know), but can we actually do anything about it? Even if 10 million people across the nation boycott the meat industry, it's not going to produce much change. Eating meat is not condoning the behavior of food corporations any more than buying a Burzum album is supporting Varg's political beliefs, and while I recognize the double standard in place regarding simply eating meat in general, you also have to be sympathetic to a culture whose diet is most likely centered around meat from a very young age. It's a very difficult habit to break, and requires a great deal of compromise in social occasions. There are many various problems and obstacles in becoming a vegetarian, and you should respect that instead of being so obtuse about the whole matter. Nobody is "turning a blind eye" to the treatment of animals in the meat industry, but whatwith the climate of lax political efficacy in this country, are you really surprised that there are not more people trying to affect change?

[/mythoughts]

I'm not a vegetarian, and until a few days ago I worked in a butcher's shop, cutting up dead animals and selling their parts to people. I love meat. It is very tasty. I also don't have much of a problem with this movie. Not that I'd ever do anything like this myself, but the way I see it is this:

People who think making animals suffer for human gain in some circumstances (eating them) and not in others (watching them die) are fucked. And I stand by it.

That said, if I was there when the guy started filming this I also wouldn't have had a problem with kicking him in the nuts and saving the cat.

Dude, this is a guy holding a kitten under water by its neck until its lungs fill with water and it dies. For no fucking reason. That's torture. This is several degrees of separation away from the meat industry (though not nearly as far if I'd like). Ideally, I would be a vegetarian, but I'm just not strong enough for it. I can certainly stop somebody from holding a kitten under water until it dies though. You're simplifying the discrepancy too much by reducing them to "human gain."