Animals vs. Humans

Last week was all kinds of fun. Even with all the global pandemic flying around, this was the crowning moment for me personally:

My dog Ripley is 85 pounds of insanity. I love her to pieces, but she is easily the most difficult pet I've ever owned. Anyhow, she had diarrhea for 2 days, mostly happening at 2am or so. The first day was bad, but that happens sometimes. The second day improved a little, so I thought it was working itself out. But on the third day, at 2am of course, she did her foul business. This time, afterwards, instead of relief and sleep as before, she was very distraught. Kept running and spinning around to lick her butt, nervously. Run, spin, lick, panic, repeat. That's when I saw it, a frayed rope hanging out of her butt doused in liquid poop. Ripley had become some sort of putrid coyote/candle hybrid, the horror! So I held her firmly, said "we can do this," and tugged accordingly.

It was about a foot long in total, and about an inch thick. Not to be outdone by any other pretenders in gross, there was a live slug along with the rope. I assume that was picked up by her rope-ass as she traipsed through a bush in terror, but I have no idea. Tossed the poop-rope into the trash and the slug slugged away, covered in dogshit. I'm pretty sure said slug flipped me off on its way toward oblivion.

Cthulhubutt.

Anyone here has exeprience with a hedgehog in their yard? I've had this big one visiting me for the past couple weeks. I don't mean to drive it away but I don't wan't to carelessly cause it harm either. I've read that it's advisable to leave them some food during the wintering season. Any advice?

Anyone here has exeprience with a hedgehog in their yard? I've had this big one visiting me for the past couple weeks. I don't mean to drive it away but I don't wan't to carelessly cause it harm either. I've read that it's advisable to leave them some food during the wintering season. Any advice?
Hedgehogs can carry some parasites but they're also big helpers for agriculture.
They're omnivores so anything would work - fruits, veggies and meat, but better to avoid stuff like butter and milk.
I've heard that the best is actually cat/dog food (crackers), seems to be a popular solution.

Also if you see any crows wandering around the dude - scare them away, they're known for attacking hedgehogs.
I tried to save one last summer, kids rolled it over with a bike and left to die, so i did my research.

lol @ EOL said:
Humanity has reached a new milestone in its dominance of the planet: human-made objects may now outweigh all of the living beings on Earth.

Roads, houses, shopping malls, fishing vessels, printer paper, coffee mugs, smartphones and all the other infrastructure of daily life now weigh in at approximately 1.1 trillion metric tons—equal to the combined dry weight of all plants, animals, fungi, bacteria, archaea and protists on the planet. The creation of this human-made mass has rapidly accelerated over the past 120 years: Artificial objects have gone from just 3 percent of the world’s biomass in 1900 to on par with it today. And the amount of new stuff being produced every week is equivalent to the average body weight of all 7.7 billion people.

The implications of these findings, published on Wednesday in Nature, are staggering. The world’s plastics alone now weigh twice as much as the planet’s marine and terrestrial animals. Buildings and infrastructure outweigh trees and shrubs. “We cannot hide behind the feeling that we’re just a small species, one out of many,” says study co-author Ron Milo, who researches plant and environmental sciences at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. These numbers should be a wake-up call, he adds. They tell us “something about the responsibility that we have, given that we have become a dominant force,” Milo says.

Humans 1, Animals 0.png

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/human-made-stuff-now-outweighs-all-life-on-earth/

xZneOqx.jpeg