Another guitar question for Chris

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Hey Chris
Im hoping you can help me out here with a bit of a physical question?
The past year I've been playing in a slavic folk band, which is not at all hard to play along to, but it entails playing long nights at weddings and socials, where we'd play half hour (plus) sets over the period of 4-6 hours. Lately, we've been playing longer sets, and for new years eve I'm expecting that we'll play a good 6-7 hours. In those last few gigs, I've been getting left (fretting) hand cramps and pains in my wrist. It's really starting to worry me, because I've heard of some players putting permanent strain on their wrists as a result of overplaying when they were younger (i'm only 20 atm).
Is there anything you would recommend, like stretching excercises?
I've thought about raising my guitar, but after having a look at the way I have it, I don't know that it would help: I have it sitting with the base of the fretboard/ pups at around belly button level, but the anlge such that the headstock is at around my chest. Slightly lower than what you have/ had it at the show you played in Melbourne this year (i'm assuming you haven't changed since then).

I really appreciate your advice on this, and do appologise that i went on a bit.

I hope all is well, dude. Hope you're having a great festive season.
Cheers :kickass:

Daniel

i practice a bit, anywhere from 6-8 hours on weekends, 4 hours during the week, and ill do those before, a lot of times during, and after i practice

Yeah, it seems that's what i'm going to have to try. I've also had another look at my technique. I might see if I can't play a bit more "flat wristed", instead of bending it as much when I play.