Another song from our new EP. Opinions are welcome

Soundlurker

Nov 19, 2005
Actually it's not ment to be available for download but I really care about what you guys think and say and I can't send you any cds so here it is :)

http://www.cmusicforum.com/sw/Alone We Die.mp3

What do you think about the mix and the song?

edit: I forgot to say the style is some mixture of metalcore, death metal (maybe) and some other styles probably.

Sounds pretty cool. The guitars have this plastic-y type sound to them, they could stand some more definition, like less gain or something. But thats just personal preference. :)

~e.a

Is this an E-Drumset or are the drums programmed or something? The Cymbals sound too fake for me. I probably would have recorded with real Cymbals or mixed them a little softer to make it less obvious.
Other than that though, I think you did a great job. I like the Guitars and Bass actually, I think they fit the style of the music well. Maybe the Vocals could stand out just a little more. Anyway, overall it sounds pretty good.

Gave it a quick listen...not my genre of choice, but the playing seems tight. Mix wise: the guitars seem to be a bit heavy in the low mids and cymbals are very loud to my ears. Bass tone seems to lack a bit of definition too...very "woolly" type of distortion on it. Maybe that sound can be blended with a clean DI track to get some of the lows back.

Thanks for the cool comments :)
E.A. guess your're right, the guitars lack some clarity. Maybe a little more C4 is in order as well, it's just that there's a thin border between leaving too much and taking too much. I guess the pastic-y sound comes from the 2 tracks of my behringer combo ;), the other 2 tracks are the same guitars reamped through a H&K Tubeman into a Dynacord all-tube combo (with a 15 inch Eminence speaker).
The Bass guitar was run through a Behringer BDI21 directly into my Emu1212m
I then added some eq,comp,impulse, so maybe I've cut too much lows (i hate it when the kick drum gets lost in the mix though).
Drums are indeed an E-drumset, actually a cheap Yamaha drumpad to be more precise. Unfortunately, we had neither the time nor the money to record real drums. Basically, everything is recorded at home. You can call it a bedroom poduction :) Guess it turned out nice, though

First, I would bring down the cymbals, and would clean the low end from guitars, they sound so strong in the low mid area, blocking the bass.
All of this thins are already said lol, but it's a nice sounding track, it only has some things to polish frequency wise ;)

Well, I tried to cope with these issues, so here's my latest attempt:
http://www.cmusicforum.com/sw/alone_we_die2.mp3
Is it better now or still not enough? :)

i like this mix pretty good

the cymbals still have that stiff feel about them, i'd probably bring the crashes down another db or so

maybe the kick drum could use a hair more low end, it kinda clashes with the snare a bit

guitar is pretty good thru most of it, the low chuggy stuff still has something weird about the low end that overpowers the rest of the mix a bit

vocals sound a little strained sometime, and don't stand out in the mix enough IMO...timing sounds a bit off in a few spots as well

overall it's not bad at all...most of what i pointed out were nitpicky things that the average listener most likely wouldn't notice, i'd spend a bit more time on the vox if possible tho as that's something any listener will pick up on quickly

I definitely like the second version better. Good work!
I mostly agree with cobrahead. The most important thing for me would be the Vocals, they need to stand out more. And I would also put the cymbals down even more. But it's not bad or anything, already sounds pretty good as is.

Well, once again you guys prove that you really know what you're taliking about :) The problems you pointed out were the only ones identified by the average listeners when they heard the single our EP (vocals and cymbals)
I'm very glad you like the rest, though :headbang: thanks