New Master, opinions welcome

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Just started properly mastering this EP that I needz out by the end of the week.

Ears are pretty shot and I can't judge any longer for tonight as im now confined to cans, so there will be some more tweaks but I think this sounds alright for now. *Same section I posted for the vocals thread but a little longer, apologies*

See what you chaps think...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/451140/Ref_mstr4.mp3

it sounds really good jamez!! it doesn't sound squashed like some of the masters i hear here. the EQ sounds pretty good to me (im on hp's AKG 240's) pretty tight bass. the different sections seem to still have dynamics.

just one of the parts where the left guitar does a little thing by itself, the second time it's a little loud. Probably because it's not hitting your compressor. you can fix that with automation though.

it sounds really good jamez!! it doesn't sound squashed like some of the masters i hear here. the EQ sounds pretty good to me (im on hp's AKG 240's) pretty tight bass. the different sections seem to still have dynamics.

just one of the parts where the left guitar does a little thing by itself, the second time it's a little loud. Probably because it's not hitting your compressor. you can fix that with automation though.

Cool man! Yeah im hoping for a tight low end....as everybody is I guess haha

Tried not to over-do the EQ nor smash the living shit out of it :p Which is the bit thats a little loud, time stamp wise? :kickass: Unless its the little run on the left side the guitar does?

There's something nasty about the snare, are you using FG-X to master?

Otherwise I think the mix could use a little more in the lowmids/lowend, but it's sounding good.

Might be the snare verb, having too much high mids. No FG-X.

Yeah I was thinking a little more lows, gonna pan that one out tomorrow when I get it on the monitors.

Updated the OP for tonight, snare sounds better to my ears, touch more lows added but will look into that properly tomorrow. Glad from the opinions so far ive not messed it up too badly!

yeah james that kicks ass!
I'd take a look at some high end or high mid issues on them guitars...it's not exactly fizz or annoying or anything, just a bit "agressive"...audible during the parts were there are only guitars. or
where the lead and ryhthm guitars are...
also maybe gluening the bass and the guitars a bit more together?

I can't really find anything wrong with the mix personally, sounds great. I really like the snare and the bass drum. What did you use for the bass drum? And what kind of processing?

yeah james that kicks ass!
I'd take a look at some high end or high mid issues on them guitars...it's not exactly fizz or annoying or anything, just a bit "agressive"...audible during the parts were there are only guitars. or
where the lead and ryhthm guitars are...
also maybe gluening the bass and the guitars a bit more together?

Cheers dude! The high mids I already tamed a little but ive updated the OP and tried to tame them a little more. Its all part of the cabs character, I can only tame it so much haha.

The bass ive only rolled a little more top off because I actually really love the bass tone and its really loud so it sits with the guitars nicely, but maybe thats a little better. Minor changes overall, tried to up the lows a touch and give the snare a bit more beef.

I can't really find anything wrong with the mix personally, sounds great. I really like the snare and the bass drum. What did you use for the bass drum? And what kind of processing?

Thanks Kimon! Its just metal foundry, EQ'd and comp'd to where it sounded "acceptable" then I blended in the samples, which provide more of the "beef" rather than the uber clicky stuff I keep hearing :loco:

Thanks Kimon! Its just metal foundry, EQ'd and comp'd to where it sounded "acceptable" then I blended in the samples, which provide more of the "beef" rather than the uber clicky stuff I keep hearing :loco:

Let me see if I understood this correctly because this was one of my main problems when mixing the psycrence EP. You process the sample and then you blend them with the original unprocessed sample?or with a different one?
Also, what kind of compression settings you use on it?

Let me see if I understood this correctly because this was one of my main problems when mixing the psycrence EP. You process the sample and then you blend them with the original unprocessed sample?or with a different one?
Also, what kind of compression settings you use on it?

I processed the natural kick first, then added the sample, then a bit of overall EQ to gel them together better. Not sure of the comp settings off hand but I remember it was with the SSL and about 3db GR, medium attack, fast release, 4:1 perhaps.

Cheers dude! The high mids I already tamed a little but ive updated the OP and tried to tame them a little more. Its all part of the cabs character, I can only tame it so much haha.

The bass ive only rolled a little more top off because I actually really love the bass tone and its really loud so it sits with the guitars nicely, but maybe thats a little better. Minor changes overall, tried to up the lows a touch and give the snare a bit more beef.

haha I think I was a bit too anal about the older version, but at the level you are doing this it's just about those last 10%, and those also can depend on the individual taste.
But dude, ver3 is gold now, seriously. It's really sounds awesome :headbang:
Especially the drums.
The overall bass level and tightness of everything is perfect now imo, you exactly got what I meant I think :)
Same for guitars, as I said it was just a little agressive, and it's tamed now imo. Outstanding job overall!

I processed the natural kick first, then added the sample, then a bit of overall EQ to gel them together better. Not sure of the comp settings off hand but I remember it was with the SSL and about 3db GR, medium attack, fast release, 4:1 perhaps.

Oh, I thought the drums were programmed, at least I think that's what you said in one of your earlier posts (#5).

Anyway, thanks for the info :).

haha I think I was a bit too anal about the older version, but at the level you are doing this it's just about those last 10%, and those also can depend on the individual taste.
But dude, ver3 is gold now, seriously. It's really sounds awesome :headbang:
Especially the drums.
The overall bass level and tightness of everything is perfect now imo, you exactly got what I meant I think :)
Same for guitars, as I said it was just a little agressive, and it's tamed now imo. Outstanding job overall!

Thanks man, glad its nearly in the pocket now! Yeah, I totally know where you were coming from, its the 3.5k area that really comes out with this cab. I guess its good to have it there if you need it, but looking back ive always made a dip in that area, lets the vocal through a little more too!

Make sure to send me a copy of the artwork when its finished ;) hehe

Oh, I thought the drums were programmed, at least I think that's what you said in one of your earlier posts (#5).

Anyway, thanks for the info :).

Yeah they are but the "natural" kick sample I refer to :loco: IE, Superior sample = natural, trigger samples I made = sample :p Hope that makes a little more sense haha

Thanks man, glad its nearly in the pocket now! Yeah, I totally know where you were coming from, its the 3.5k area that really comes out with this cab. I guess its good to have it there if you need it, but looking back ive always made a dip in that area, lets the vocal through a little more too!

Make sure to send me a copy of the artwork when its finished ;) hehe
how many songs will be on the ep man? I think I'll be getting it
edit: lol nevermind ^^

my randall cab isn't that strong in that area, I needed a small boost to make them guitars stick out a bit more, but it's a bit of a fizzy mofo :lol:
haha yeah man, I'm working on it right now...still haven't found a nice font that fits though...need to take a travel through my archives^^

5 songs on the EP & yeah im sure you'll be getting one straight off the bat :p

Ahh yeah, ive not heard much about Randall cabs, interesting to note actually, for some reason I thought those would be pretty heavy in that area! :p