Another SOS Article - "When is an engineer not an engineer?"

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
Another free to read article in this months Sound on Sound that I'm sure some here will have some strong thought on poses the question "When is an engineer not an engineer?" or as the author, Jez Wells, summarizes in his quote from the article which can be read in complete form at: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/sounding-off-0412.htm

So what does ‘engineering’ mean? Is there really anything in common between the person in the white overalls who uses knowledge of chemical thermodynamics to design and oversee reactions between substances, and the person in the jeans and T-shirt sticking a microphone inside a kick drum?

As I've stated, for me this is a hobby, I suspect one that will always remain that way, but I found the article posing an interesting question if for only the fact that it's sure to prompt debate among those for which making music is not a hobby but a profession. I have no dog in this fight and tend to not worry about semantics in job titles - political correctness has already had such an impact on what we call peoples jobs these days, the people who cleaned the schools I went to as a child were janitors, now their known as sanitation engineers (note they refer to the garbage man as this as well) , the secretary at that school is now an administrative, assistant, the waiter or waitress at a restaurants are now servers, the stewardess on a flight is now a flight attendant, ...

Do you worry about the semantics of what you are referred to as? What are those with skin in the game think about the article? the author is looking for feedback so feel free to read and respond. Please do read the article before responding so you get the whole story instead of just my small quote.

Do you worry about the semantics of what you are referred to as? What are those with skin in the game think about the article? the author is looking for feedback so feel free to read and respond. Please do read the article before responding so you get the whole story instead of just my small quote.
Here where I live, an engineer is a degree from school (Bachelor of Engineering, Master of Engineering, Master of Science in Technology etc.), so you can't just start calling yourself an engineer without a degree from university.