Another Stupid Idea from the Music Industry

note that this thread is about MUSIC not broads bitches or booze

As digital sales boom and CD sales slump, Universal Music has a new plan to prevent shiny silver discs from going the way of the 8-track. The world’s largest music company, home to U2 and Mariah Carey, has introduced tiered-pricing in Europe, offering basic CDs for about $12 and deluxe editions for as much as $25. The basic CDs, which come in a simple cardboard sleeves, are designed to compete with digital albums, which sell on iTunes for around $9.99. The deluxe packages will include lyrics, bonus tracks and videos. If the strategy succeeds, they’ll likely bring it to the U.S., and the silver circles will live to spin another day.

pfft, yeah instead of making album packaging cool enough to attract buyers let's just take away every incentive to buy a cd instead of downloading it

that'll teach em

This is a great idea for people that enjoy derivative pop bullshit, as in 99% of idiots around the world. Fuck 'em.

lizard said:
See I understand that their response to downloading is to charge true fans twice as much for what they often get anyway - this is their strategy, fuck, people who are going to download and have no loyAlty to their bands are going to continue to do that anyway

agreed.

This thread makes me wonder: does anybody, even the people listening to list music, find it worthwhile enough to spend money on? The same people might like watching Ricky Lake, but would they pay for each episode? I doubt it

this seems like a really stupid idea for all the ideas mentioned. if (heaven forbid) it "works" in europe and they bring it across the pond, hopefully it won't affect the price of vinyl.

The future of the CD is between the hands of those who care the least about it, occasional listeners :rolleyes:

This is without a doubt, the single dumbest idea they've come up with. Luckily, I have faith in the folks on the other side of the Atlantic, and expect this idea will never see U.S. shores.

Zod

Umm is it just me... or is this idea making no progress at all? I pay 12 dollars for the "deluxe edition" right now... what do you guys pay?

15 euros :erk: (not that I buy from big stores anymore, that's just the usual price in your average HMV, Virgin Megastore or wtf you call it)

Back in Germany I've seen up to 4 versions of the same album released simultaneously with pricing level ranging from 9€ (cheap booklet) to 30-35€ (supposedly deluxe edition w/goodies). Way to rape the average joe.