Another tone test

ShredHead31

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2005
I am still building my tone banks on my XT and thought I'd share another tone with you guys to get some more feedback. This one is with the L6 Purge model with the treadplate cab, boost+eq and a hint of verb and comp. Sounds kinda Marshally to me hence the name Marshall Test. I'm tuned to drop c# I believe so it sounds kinda mushy on the PH's. I'm open to any and all feedback.

http://www.soundclick.com/metaldude30

I've never messed wit a POD so I don't know much about them. I think Marshall's usually sounds a little harsher in the mids than this though. I think you should ditch the reverb too, sounds too 80's. It sounds fizzy as a POD usually does and it sounds like you don't have any sustain.

Hex, thanks, I'll add some more mids and see how it sounds. Neb I'll take the lows down but I am tuned pretty low, maybe if I tuned up some that would help, do you think? I have no idea how to mix anything and I am not using any EQ except what's in the POD.

I've never recorded or mixed anything before this, how the heck do you do it? I use cool edit pro2 because that's all I have and I use computer speakers with tweets, mids and subwoofer, could that be my problem. I can't afford any studio gear right now, any ideas or suggestions on how to get a better sound with what I'm working with?

WOW, with what you have man, you're getting pretty decent results.
I don't think adding lows will help, there's plenty of them, they're just undefined/ muddy. Maybee if you turn them down like .5 and add a little bit of presence (also about .5) it will help a bit.

Hey thanks Neb, yeah I just use my laptop, record direct and use what I posted already and that's it. My guitar has EMG 81's in it, any other suggestions tone wise?

It probably wouldn't hurt. I mean, im looknig at the tone from an "in the mix" pov, just so you know, and from what you have now it sounds like you're forgetting that a bass would fill alot of the frequencies your tone is trying to cover. If you're not gonig for a good "in the mix" tone and just want some thing good to play along with, then cutting a smaller amount of lows would be fine.
In the end it's really up to you, it's a great POD tone either way.

That helps me TONS, I don't have a way of recording bass so that isn't a problem. I'm basically going to be playing without bass for now so I'll cut a tad more lowend and go from there. Thanks for the help Neb.!!!!!