ANTHRAX History Lesson

Jun 2, 2002
Chicago area
Visit site
Some Anthrax History for people who want to know more about the band.

Anthrax was formed in July of 1981 by some high school friends who were into Heavy Metal, Hardcore, Punk and Comic Books. Scott Ian and Danny Lilker played guitar. Dave Weiss was the drummer. John Connelly sang. Somebody named Kenny played bass. Scott Ian was a fan of bands such as Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and a huge fan of Kiss. Danny Lilker had previously played in his school's jazz band and was somewhat of a speed freak, musically speaking.

Kenny was replaced with Paul Kahn. Some other members changes occurred and Neil Turbin became the new lead singer. Gregg D'Angelo took Dave Weiss' seat behind the drum kit. Paul Kahn left. Greg Walls joined as the new guitarist, as Danny Lilker switched over to bass to fill Paul's spot. By February of 1983, many songs had been written and demoed including the aforementioned "Across the River" and "Howling Furies," "Panic," "Deathrider," "Hate," "Pestilence," "Satan's Wheels" (about drugs, not Satan), "Anthrax," and "Evil Dreams." At this time, Anthrax was now sharing living quarters in the Music Building in Yonkers with San Francisco's Metallica, who had recently relocated to New York in hopes of getting a record deal. Metallica basically had noting but the clothes on their back and their instruments upon moving to New York, so Anthrax helped them by scrounging a microwave and a refrigerator for them.

In mid 1983, Anthrax went to record another demo. This time with producer Ross the Boss, of Manowar, who had to taken interest to the young, rising band. Greg D'Angelo was soon replaced with Charlie Benante. Charlie had played drums in a few local bands before, including a cover band called Shire when he was about sixteen. Charlie also actually played guitar, which would prove useful later on down the road.

In September of 1983, Anthrax released the Soldiers of Metal 7" single. The A-Side contained "Soldiers of Metal," with Charlie Benante on drums. The B-Side contains "Howling Furies," taken from the demo with Ross the Boss. Only 3,000 of these were made, so they are quite rare now.

Former Overkill lead guitarist Danny Spitz would be the next member to join. Touring with Metallica and Raven through 1983 built up the band's reputation. They recorded their debut album, Fistful of Metal in late 1983. By the time it came out in January 1983, a rift between Danny Lilker and Neil Turbin led to Danny's dismissal. "We took Danny Lilker out of the band soon after the album came out, ‘cos he thought it was an easy ride from then on." He was replaced by Charlie's nephew Frank Bello, who had previously been a roadie for the band. Fistful of Metal was very heavy, very fast and full of screaming vocals. It could definitely be placed under the category of speed metal, a new rising form of metal.

They carried on with their touring, but a big problem arose again. Danny explains, "Neil was great on the first album, but he just couldn't cut it live with the Raven dates we did. There was also a lot of personal differences, so we let him go." Plans to tour in Europe and record their second album there never materialized. He was replaced with Matt Fallon, but he only lasted for a short time because of personal differences. Scott explains, "In retrospect we never should have taken him, but we lost Neil in August ‘84, went straight into rehearsals and had all the new material written by September - without a singer! Matt was simply the first person we saw in a bar band who was reasonable. It only lasted a month-and-a-half because his personality didn't really fit in with ours. We were two-and-a-half weeks into recording but we canned him and sent him home anyway!"

Then Canedy suggested Joey Belladonna(A.K.A. Joseph Bellardini) of the Canadian band Bible Black. It all worked out for the best, and they were very enthusiastic about their new singer. "He's got a better voice than Neil, as well as a greater range," says Danny. "Joey sounds just like he does on the record live. He's the Steve Perry [Journey] of aggressive metal."

Instead of recording a full album, Anthrax wisely chose to record an EP for Europe, titled Armed And Dangerous. It included the title track, a new track "Raise Hell," an excellent cover of the Sex Pistol's "God Save the Queen," and two tracks from Joey's audition tape, "Metal Thrashing Mad" and "Panic." This EP helped them secure a contract with Island Records.

Next up was finishing their second LP, appropriately entitled Spreading the Disease, which took five months to record. With some free time on his hands, Scott Ian put together a violent side band called S.O.D. (Stormtroopers of Death) with Charlie, Dan Lilker, and local skinhead named Billy Milano. S.O.D.'s Speak English or Die was also released through Megaforce Records. If one word had to be used to describe the album, it would be heavy. S.O.D. did seven opening gigs through the rest of the year in the New York and New Jersey area before calling it quits. Despite their short career, S.O.D. were a very influential to heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal and hardcore music.

Spreading the Disease was released in October of 1985 in the US, but it was not until March of 1986 that it was released in the U.K., Europe, and Japan. Anthrax signed with DMA booking who set them up with a support slot with the Scorpions in the States. They also headlined in the US and Europe. A single was released for "Madhouse" in May of 1986. There was the regular version of the single, but there were also four different versions besides that. They all had the same songs ("Madhouse," "A.I.R.," and "God Save the Queen."), but they were recorded live. There was a chance to win a trip to see the band live in Europe if all four live versions were bought. The band had a problem with this though, because the recordings had never been approved by them. Production was stopped after a few thousand. A video was also made for the song, which helped in the U.K. and Europe. It was not helpful in the U.S., because all of the major stations banned it, claiming it was detrimental to mental patients. It showed Anthrax and some of their friends jumping around like crazy people just having a good time.

They also did a very US arena brief tour with Black Sabbath and WASP before Sabbath's diminishing popularity caused the rest of the dates to be canceled. Anthrax came to the U.K. to play before 1,200 moshers at the Hammersmith Palais. This was an especially exciting show for Anthrax, as Scott explained to Kerrang. "What sticks out in my mind particularly was the cup fight at the end of the show! The audience had been throwing plastic cups onstage throughout the set and our roadies just collected them on the side and when it came to the encores we just hurled them all back into the crowd - only for them to throw them back at us in the best possible spirit. Oh boy, what a great night!"

They also supported Metallica in Europe, which made a very intense bill. The grueling touring ended on October 26 with the Aardshok Festival, also featuring Slayer and Metallica, three of the bands considered to be the leaders of this new wave of metal called thrash.

Spreading the Disease was a very successful album and sold about 100,000 copies in the U.S. In November of ‘86, Anthrax went south to record their third LP, Among the Living. Eddie Kramer was the new producer, who worked well with Anthrax. Scott had learnt a lot about album production from the S.O.D. record, so a producer to just help them along was all that was needed. A single for the song "I am the Law" was released in February of ‘87 for the U.K., Europe and Japan. The song was about the comic book character Judge Dredd, which was a favorite of Anthrax. (Batman being their second favorite.) Brian Bolland, who draws Dredd, designed the cover for the single. The B-side contained two odd tracks, including a rap/metal song called "I'm the Man," which came from a quote by Rodney Dangerfield in the movie Fast Money. Among the Living was released a month later, and was a big success. The album had a wide variety of lyrical topics. N.F.L. (Efilnikufesin) was about drug use ruining a person's life, while the title track was inspired by the Stephen King novel The Stand. Another King inspired song was "Skeleton in the Closet," from the novella "Apt Pupil," from the book Different Seasons. This album is considered a classic thrash metal album by many people.

In June of ‘87, a single was released for the song "Indians." A live performance video was also made. Much moshing went on in the video. Joey, who is a native American, wore an Indian headdress for part of the video, which became a mandatory part of concerts.

The "I am the Law" single was selling quite well in Europe, but surprisingly partially due to the rap/metal song "I'm the Man." It reached the top ten in the U.K. Because of increasing demand, "I'm the Man" was released in the U.S. as a mini album with a few other tracks including a cover of the Black Sabbath classic "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath." A video was made for the song. The mini album went gold and was Anthrax's first gold-certified release in the U.S. Both "I am the Law" and "I'm the Man" became live favorites, with Scott, Frankie, and Charlie singing, Joey on drums, and Danny staying on guitar for "I'm the Man." They supported Kiss on arena tours. They headlined sold out tours in the U.S. (with Metal Church as openers), Japan, and Europe.

They played at sold out European festivals including Castle Donnington's Monsters of Rock. The night before that, they played a secret show under the name Satan's Lounge Band at the Dynamo Club. The idea was inspired by the lounge singer Bill Murray portrayed on the T.V. comedy Saturday Night Live. The name for the band came from the joke song "Bud E. Luvbomb and Satan's Lounge Band" which was a b-side to the "I am The Law" single, along with "I'm the Man." "The idea behind the name was to have this lounge singer backed by an extremely heavy thrash band. Joey was Bud E. Luvbomb; the rest of us were his lounge band," explains Scott.

Scott took a few days off to co-produce M.O.D.'s debut (the band of former S.O.D. vocalist Billy Milano) U.S.A. for M.O.D. Scott described it as "very heavy." He even played acoustic guitar on it!

Anthrax recorded their first live video, N.F.V. (Oedivnikufesin) at the Hammersmith Odeon and released in late 1988.

The beginning of 1988 was spent writing and rehearsing for their fourth album, State of Euphoria. The first single was "Antisocial," originally by the French band Trust, a favorite of Charlie. A video was made for the song, which reached number five on MTV. The video also included a cameo appearance by the Madman Ozzy Osbourne. The day after the video was made, Anthrax left to tour with him. State of Euphoria went gold within three months of its release. They did their Road to Euphoria Tour with Living Colour. They headlined the Headbanger's Ball tour with Exodus and Helloween. A single was released for "Make Me Laugh," which is about televangelism. Other song topics include "Now It's Dark" inspired by the David Lynch film Blue Velvet and "Misery Loves Company" in response to Stephen King's novel Misery. A video was made for the song "Who Cares Wins." This song came about because of the homeless situation in New York. It didn't receive support from MTV basically because it was too serious for them. Yes, a song encouraging teenagers to help the homeless was too serious for MTV. (More like eMpTyV) An EP entitled Penikufesin was released in 1989. It featured "Now It's Dark" and 5 songs that were originally b-sides on State of Euphoria singles. After the touring was over, they decided to take three months off before beginning work on their fifth album, Persistence of Time. The rest was well needed. "Last July, I virtually locked myself in my room and didn't come out until October," Charlie revealed in a 1990 Island press release. Part of me felt like that guy in the Saigon hotel room in Apocalypse Now while the other part was coming up with some of my strongest stuff ever."

On December 5 and 16, 1989 at L' Amours, two more shows were done under the name Satan's Lounge Band. It helped bring back the old local gig tradition which they couldn't do last year because of touring commitments. "It's a way to get back to our roots...to give back a little something to the community and to all the people who have supported us over the years," says Frankie.

While writing the album, a fire caused $100,000 worth of damage in their studio. The guys formed a train to save what equipment they could. This is the band who lent some equipment to Metallica when $50,000 worth of theirs was stolen. They also had the misfortune of an earthquake while recording. No, not even Mother Nature can stop Anthrax from spreading their disease again.

Persistence of Time was released in August of ‘90, and Anthrax joined Iron Maiden on the No Prayer for the Road tour. The first single released was for their cover of Joe Jackson's "Got the Time." A video was also made for the song. It received about four weeks of support from MTV before they quit playing it because t was too heavy for them, despite countless requests from angry Anthrax fans. Again, MTV lives up to their reputation of being eMpTyV. The next single and video was for the song "In My World," a song about "sticking up for your rights," Joey would say in many live performances.

A video entitled Persistence of Video was released. It consisted of all of their music videos, two live videos, and interview footage. In place of the original "I'm the Man" video, parts of several live performances recorded by Scott's guitar tech John Rooney, who had co-written the song, were used. Needless to say, the footage was pretty terrible. But as Danny says introducing the video, "tough shit."

Anthrax joined Slayer and Megadeth on the Clash of the Titans tour. The first Clash of the Titans took place in Europe with headliners Slayer and Megadeth and openers Testament and Suicidal Tendencies. Alice in Chains were opening this tour. "There's never been anything like this in the U.S.," said Scott. "Sure there's been ‘Monsters of Rock," but there's definitely no Dokkens or Kingdom Comes on this bill." It was an enormous tour for all bands and costed $75,000 to $85,000 a week to keep going. The three bands switched turns headlining every few nights. The show was symbolic in showing that a band need not bow down to MTV and radio's every wish to be successful. Anthrax and Slayer remained friends when it was all over. The same cannot be said about Slayer and Megadeth though. To this day, they still don't get along.

An EP consisting of foreign b-sides, some new songs and other hard to find songs was released in 1991, appropriately entitled Attack of the Killer B's. Many people consider it a full length album though, because most EP's don't last over 44 minutes. But as it says inside, it is the "longest EP ever." Another rap/metal crossover was made with Anthrax and members of Public Enemy. The song was "Bring the Noise," originally "Don't Believe the Hype" by Public Enemy. The song was made metal with the heavy riffs and drum rolls Anthrax added, but was still rap. Charlie explains "the music that I've always loved has been the old Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and if you listen to those bands, they're very drum driven. The heart and soul of those bands has always been the beats and one thing the rappers used to say to us is that Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith have always got the great beats. That old metal was the heaviest stuff at the time. When we started playing, it was like the Rappers had captured that feeling so we wanted to work with the best of them who for us was Chuck D and Public Enemy." A single was released for the song, and a video was made. This EP really shows the schism developing between Joey and the rest of the band, as he didn't do much of the singing on the album. Most of the "singing" on the heavier songs is done by Scott.

As explained before, this EP was meant to compile some of the Anthrax songs that were harder to find. But many people also say this EP was done to help fulfill Anthrax's contract with Island Records, who were not doing a very decent job managing and promoting Anthrax.

Attack of the Killer Videos was released, which featured two versions of "Bring the Noise" and "Belly of the Beast"(live).

After its release, Anthrax did a genre shattering co-headlining tour with Public Enemy. Primus and Young Black Teens (YBT) were the opening bands. It was appropriately called the Live Noize tour. At the end of each show, Public Enemy joined Anthrax on stage for the songs "Too Much Posse"(originally by Public Enemy) and "Bring the Noise." One of these great shows, recorded at Irvine Meadows, California, was released as Anthrax's fourth home video, Live Noize.

After that, they continued touring, because that is what they like to do. They signed a new record deal with Elektra records, who had experienced multi-platinum success with Metallica in the past years. By the time the contract was signed in March, Joey was fired from the band. It was the night of the Grammies. (Attack of the Killer B's had been nominated for a Grammy.) The band did not speak to Joey the whole night. When he got home, he found a message on his answering machine from Johnny Z saying he had been fired. Musical differences were the sole reason for his dismissal. "A lot of people seem to think (the split with Joey) had to do with personal differences, and it wasn't that at all," explains Scott. "It was strictly creative. The guy had no input into the band at all—by his own doing! I used to think I would like it that way, because it gave me more control. I didn't. What it really came down to is me asking myself if someone's not putting much of themselves into a band, what's the performance going to be like?"

Scott and Charlie reformed S.O.D. for one show at the Ritz in New York with Agnostic Front and Morbid Angel opening. The show was released and entitled Live At Budokan. It came out as a CD and video.

Anthrax struggled for a few months trying out new singers. They finally settled upon John Bush, formerly of Los Angeles's Armored Saint. Bush had been invited by Johnny Z to try out for the band. He was exactly what Anthrax was looking for, not just as a singer, but as a member of a hard working band. "Once the phone call came, I asked a lot of questions. I wanted to know where everyone's heads were at. I said ‘I want to create, I want to contribute,' ‘cause I like doing that, I like writing." Leaving Armored Saint was a difficult decision for John, who had spent ten years with them. "Musically speaking, I was really happy with Armored Saint—we all were. John explains. "We made great music. Unfortunately, not enough people were exposed to it to have somewhat of a financial security with it. Look, I'm not a martyr, and anyone who says, ‘I just do it for the music,' is already really successful. Being broke sucks. You need some stability in life, however, and it just seemed like the chances of becoming successful were getting slimmer and slimmer. As spiritual and hokey as this may sound, it felt like it wasn't meant to be. Believe me, walking away from Armored Saint wasn't easy."

Their new album, Sound of White Noise, came out in April of ‘93. It was a new start for Anthrax. They had a new singer and a new label. They had a new producer, Dave Jerden, who had worked with John Bush in the past with Armored Saint's Symbol of Salvation. John Bush was contributing to the song-writing, which was a major thing Scott, the main lyricist, wanted in a singer. The lyrics, according to Scott, were "a lot more personal, a lot darker." Firing a lead singer is a gutsy thing to do. It was a huge risk, but it was well worth it. By taking a chance, Anthrax took a big leap forward musically.

Again, Mother Nature tried getting in the way. The album was recorded at El Dorado studio in Hollywood, which used to belong to Marvin Gaye. The flat roof with a brick wall going all around the side started filling up with water during rains almost as heavy as the average Anthrax riff. The water went from there into the air conditioning vent, out onto the console. Dave Jerden went to investigate and found a decaying dog's head blocking the drain.

The musical direction of the band had changed a little bit, mainly reducing the importance of speed. Charlie says, "it's more in the realms of (traditional) metal." But that does not mean Anthrax lost their heaviness. That could not be any further from the truth. "Some of the frustration came out in the music on this new album, Danny explains. "We were all in a different frame of mind than we'd ever been before—really pissed off." Anger sure is not hard to find on this album. "Packaged Rebellion" was inspired by 1992's Lollapalooza tour and how it was promoted. "By being a Lollapalooza-type fan and going to Lollapalooza you're supposed to be participating in some kind of rebellion or something, but you're not," Scott explains in anger. "It's the big corporate mainstream making millions of dollars." He also says, "MTV sells every 13- and 14-year old kid a complete 'How to rebel' package. And it's a bunch of BULLSHIT" As proof it is a good album, alternative/pop magazine Spin gave it a poor review.

Elektra did a good job promoting this album. Before the album's release, Frankie did a 30 market promotional jaunt which included visiting metal radio stations and music and video stores. Not all ties to MTV had been broken yet. MTV's "Headbanger's Ball" did a five week promotion to fly a viewer to six club dates through the US and Mexico. The first single and video was for the song "Only." The video includes a guest appearance by Frank Silva, who had played the murderous character Bob on T.V. series "Twin Peaks," directed by David Lynch. A video and radio promo were made for "Room For One More." "Black Lodge" was something new for Anthrax. John described it as "slower and really moody." The song was inspired by "Twin Peaks" According to Scott, he and Charlie are "not only ‘Twin Peaks' fan, but big David Lynch fans in general." The song was co-written by Angelo Badalamenti, who had written the theme song to the T.V. series. A video was made for the song, as well as a radio promo. Many singles and EP's were made, one of which contained a cover of Kiss' "Love Her All I Can" with guest vocals from none other than Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. Obviously this must have been great for Anthrax, as Kiss is probably their biggest influence. A video and single were made for "Hy Pro Glow." Anthrax toured with bands such as Fight (band of former Judas Priest singer Rob Halford) in the U.S., Clawfinger in the U.K. and King's X and M.O.D. in Europe.

In 1993 and 1994, Anthrax played on many soundtracks and tribute albums. "Poison My Eyes" appeared on the soundtrack to the movie Last Action Hero. Their cover of the Smiths "London" appeared in the movie Airheads. Their cover of the Beastie Boys "Looking Down The Barrel of a Gun" was included on the CD Beavis and Butthead Experience. Probably most exciting for the band, they covered Kiss' "She" for the tribute album Kiss My Ass. The song was produced by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. Originally Gene and Paul didn't want to produce it, but Anthrax begged and pleaded until they said they would.

In 1994, Anthrax's first live album, Live the Island Years, was finally released. It was held up for a couple of years by Island Records. Like Attack of the Killer B's, it helped fulfill Anthrax's contract with Island Records. The first eight tracks come from the Live Noize video. The final four tracks come from a small gig in 1992 at Electric Lady studio for a bunch of "really cool" WSOU radio listeners.

With some free time on their hands, Scott and Charlie put together another side band. It consisted of Scott and Charlie on guitar and drums respectively, Zach Throne on vocals and Jimmy Ilevio on bass. They were appropriately named Du Husker, because they play nothing but Husker Du cover tunes. The purpose of the band was to help Charlie through some of his emotions, which included him losing interest in playing drums for a while.

On March 12, 1995, Anthrax played the Board AID Kick-Off to benefit LIFEbeat at The Palladium in Los Angeles. Anthrax preceded Helmet, the headliners. Wax and the Bosstones were the opening acts. Anthrax introduced some new songs there and had a special guest, Rob Halford formerly of Judas Priest and Fight. Scott has actually known two people who have died from AIDS, for which the show was a benefit.

Through the writing, recording and touring for Sound of White Noise, it was becoming obvious Danny was losing interest in music. By the time they began working on new material, Danny was too difficult to work with, and he was fired. Charlie says "It just seemed like Danny wasn't going in the same direction as the four of us. We're kind of a tight unit and I guess we wanted Danny to be a part of that but he sort of drifted away. I guess he was more into his family now, that probably played a part in it. On the road, it was kind of weird too. After the shows, we'd be there mingling with people, and Danny would be on the bus, sort of disassociated. That's how it started. The four of us became close ‘cause we were hanging out with each other. He just didn't have the fire we all had and that we needed. And musically, he wasn't contributing. It got to the point where I was playing guitar leads, and I had to think, ‘Why am I doing this?' So I ended up playing on the record." John says, "I don't think his heart was in it anymore... he never did any writing anyway. There's a certain amount of contribution you have to give a band even if your role is smaller than others'. To be quite honest, he's been invisible in a lot of areas beyond making music."

Some people may wonder if his loss of interest in the band had to do with Joey no longer being in the band. The answer to that is definitely NO. Danny was as much for firing Joey as anybody else. He was also as happy to have John in the band as everyone else. He had been the closest member to Joey, however, he grew apart from Joey in the end.

Instead of replacing him permanently, a few special guests were used on the next album, Stomp 442. Pantera's Dimebag Darrel played on two songs, "King Size" and "Riding Shotgun." Pantera had opened for Anthrax in 1985, and they remained friends ever since. Paul Crook, who had been Danny's guitar tech on the Persistence of Time tour and played in Joey's band Belladonna as well as his own band Crook, played on four songs, "Random Acts of Senseless Violence," "Perpetual Motion," "In A Zone," and "Drop The Ball." Mike Tempesta, who was Scott's guitar tech on the Persistence of Time tour and played in the band Human Waste Project and is brother of John from White Zombie (who was once Charlie's drum roadie), played a solo tag on "American Pompeii." Scott played the end solo on "Tester." And finally, Charlie experimented with various solos on "Random Acts of Senseless Violence," "Nothing," "American Pompeii," "Tester," and "Bare."

It shouldn't come as a surprise that Charlie would want to use his skills on guitar. Since Spreading the Disease, Charlie had been coming up with many of Anthrax's heavier-than-Godzilla riffs. All of the leads and much of the rest of the music on Sound of White Noise were written by Charlie, and then taught to Danny, Scott, and Frankie. "He's probably a better guitarist than me and Danny both," says Scott with a bit of jealousy. "I started out on drums but taught myself to play guitar when I was 17 or so," Charlie recounts. "I don't know a lot of guitar theory. I just make stuff that sounds good." Although having the typical metal influences of Iron Maiden, Slayer and Kiss, two of Charlie's favorite guitarists are Johnny Marr [the Smiths, The The, Electronic] and Robert Smith of the Cure. Previously, Charlie had played harmony guitar parts on "Intro to Reality," and "Black Lodge." He played a 12 string acoustic on the joke ballad "Dallabinikufesin," from Attack of the Killer B's. He also played the only lead on S.O.D.'s album Speak English or Die, which appeared at the end of "United Forces."

Some people may wonder why Scott doesn't do many leads, especially after the lead guitarist was fired. The answer is that he really doesn't want to. "I do one thing really well in this band and I've developed this rhythm style that somehow came out of me over the past 10 years," Scott said in 1993 in an interview with all members of Anthrax and Kiss. As a kid, Scott always admired rhythm guitarists more than lead guitarists, such as AC/DC's Malcom Young over Angus Young.

If Anthrax wanted to follow the trends that were occurring, they would have released a no-talent grunge album ready for MTV and radio to play. But that's the last thing Anthrax would want to do. Instead they recorded their heaviest and most aggressive album ever. In fact, it contained a song, "Tester," about the current trends and how they won't follow them. Elektra did not do a very good job as far as promotion goes. Stomp 442 came out in October of 1995. The first single and video was for the song "Fueled." MTV payed little attention to it, and radio was not playing metal. They toured the U.S. for a month and a half with Life of Agony and the Deftones opening. They toured the U.K. and Europe with the Galactic Cowboys opening. They then headed to Japan and then to New Zealand and Australia with Cyko Miko. They came back to the U.S. and did a co-headlining tour with the newly reunited Misfits. Later on Cannibal Corpse joined as the opening act. Life of Agony joined the three bands for the final leg of te tour. Paul Crook played lead guitar for all of the touring. He had already known the band for at least five years, and was already familiar with their old songs, which made him a good choice. He had been into Anthrax since Fistful of Metal and was a witness to Frankie's second gig. On this tour, they weren't playing to the same size crowds as they were before. Many metal bands were losing fans, and Anthrax was no exception. Many people who were upset over Joey leaving gave up hope for them when Danny was fired. These are the people who do not understand why these changes took place. It had nothing to do with Scott, Charlie and Frankie not being nice guys, but they were really honestly concerned with how their music would be with members not devoted to the band. Firing members is always a risky thing to do. Musically though, it has made Anthrax a tighter unit. The shows were still as wild and exciting as ever, though, and Anthrax kept their reputation as a great live band. In a show in Atlanta, it got out of hand. Someone in the crowd threw a beer bottle at Scott. It hurt him bad enough that he couldn't finish the show because he couldn't put weight on that leg, not to mention it really pissed him off. The band hadn't even gotten half way through their set. They were also mad at the show promoter, who wasn't following his contract by allowing glass bottles into the show.

The next single was for the song "Nothing." There were actually two singles for the song made in Europe, and a tour EP made for Australia. An EP for "Fueled" was released in Japan, which included all of the Stomp 442 b-sides except their cover of Iron Maiden's "Remember Tomorrow." Anthrax recorded the title track for the movie Bordello of Blood in the middle of 1996. Scott, Charlie, and Frankie along with Zach Throne recorded "Rip It Out" from Ace Frehley's first solo album for the album Spacewalk, a Salute to Ace Frehley. John and Scott along with former Armored Saint drummer Gonzo and bassist Joey Vera, Ugly Kid Joe's vocalist Whitfield Crane and ex-Accept guitarist Jorg Fischer formed Doom Squad to record "Burnin' Up" for the first of two European Judas Priest tribute albums. The song also appeared on the one disc U.S. version. John, Scott and Joey Vera worked together again for a song on the Queen tribute album, with Scott's brother Jason on drums and Zach Throne also on guitar. By this time, Anthrax had left Elektra Records due to their poor promotion on Stomp 442. Another problem with Elektra was that many of the people who were working for Elektra when Anthrax originally signed there had been fired. Scott Ian produced the self-titled debut album for L.A.'s Killingculture, which he described as "brutal." He was also the guest guitarist on two songs.

S.O.D. united once again on December 10, 1996. This time it was for a benefit concert at Irving Plaza to raise money to hire a detective to investigate the death of Sepultura frontman Max Cavalera's step-son.

In 1997 they began writing a recording demos for their new album. A rumor began to spread around that John had left Anthrax and was forming a band with Megadeth's David Ellefson, ex-Slayer, Ex-Testament, ex-Forbidden, ex-Truth About Seafood drummer Paul Bostaph and ex-Death, ex-Obituary, ex-Testament, ex- Disincarnation guitarist James Murphy. There were plans for those guys to work together, but John never left Anthrax. People were led to believe that by the idiots at Metal Maniacs magazine who don't know how to report news. Anthrax took some time off in May to got to the F-Music Fest. John participated in the War Stories panel. They headlined a packed show at the at the Whiskey in San Francisco. They played three new songs there, "604" (named after the weight of a woman featured in National Enquirer), "Giving The Horns," and "Catharsis." Mike Tempesta played lead guitar for most of the set. Other new songs include "Hog Tied," "A Toast to the Extras," "Killing Box," "Coffee Song," "Alpha Male," "Piss ‘n' Vinegar," "Crush," "Big Fat," "Harm's Way," and "Stealing from a Thief." They will record the following cover tunes for b-sides: "Snap" and "I'd Rather be Sleeping" by D.R.I., "Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden and "The Bends" By Radiohead. Scott and Charlie got back together with S.O.D. to play a festival in Germany on July 5. In the middle of July, Anthrax did two shows in Mexico opening for Pantera in front of 20,000 people.

S.O.D. started a short tour on July 5 headling the Full Force festival in Germany in front of 23,000 people. It was their first show outside of the United States. The tour continued on July 25 headlining the first day of the Milwaukee Metal Fest and ending on August 4 in Hoboken, New Jersey. It was a farewell tour for Billy Milano, who was retiring from stage due to a degenerative bone condition in his right hip. Yes, it took them twelve years to headline a tour. It eventually had to happen. A tribute album for S.O.D. is also being made. Life of Agony recorded "March of the S.O.D./Sgt. D and the S.O.D." Sepultura recorded "D.C." Other bands involved include Cannibal Corpse, Agnostic Front, Clutch, Marilyn Manson, Killingculture, Sepultura, and Biohazard. S.O.D. will finally record "Aren't You Hungry" written back in 1985 for a planned second S.O.D. album. The S.O.D. version is different than the version on M.O.D.'s U.S.A. for M.O.D.

Scott, Charlie and Frank, Paul recorded "Walk All Over You" with Dee Snider for the upcoming AC/DC tribute album. The lead guitar was played by Paul, who also produced, mixed, and engineered the song. Anthrax has formed their own record label, Skism Records, to release their next album. It will be distributed Ignition Records, a division of Tommy Boy records, a division of Warner Brothers, who owns Elektra Records too. The title for the album is Volume 8, but was originally planned to be self titled. Paul Crook and Anthrax will be producing the album. Paul will also be mixing and engineering it. They finally started recording on October 17, 1997. They will take a break from recording from November 8 until December 7 to open for Pantera in the U.S. Coal Chamber will open before Anthrax. Apparently the musical direction of Volume 8 is heavier and faster than Stomp 442. "We didn't soften our sound or go alternative, like so many others," says Charlie. "We've stayed real!" Well duh, this is Anthrax we are talking about!

Former members

Vocals: John Connelly [1981-1981]

Vocals: Neil Turbin [1981-1984]

Vocals: Matt Fallon [1984-1984]

Vocals: Joey Belladonna [1985-1992]

Bass: Kenny "Ken" Kushner [1981-1981]

Bass: Paul Kahn [1981-1981]

Bass: Frank Bello [1984-2004]

Guitars, bass: Dan Lilker [1981-1984]

Guitars: Greg Walls [1981-1983]

Guitars: Dan Spitz [1983-1995]

Drums: Dave Weiss [1981-1981]

Drums: Greg D'Angelo [1981-1983]

Back in the early early days, Scott's brother was the lead singer for a short while. I don't remember if he was pre or post John Connely though.

That was a kickass read, actually ran across this on Google. I was lucky to see SOD 6 times live through NJ/NY and their final performance in San Francisco for Chuck Billy's Thrash of The Titans benefit.

I dont think SOD will ever reform, lol, some major bridges burned over the years. I was at the live at Budokan show - aka The Ritz and they cut out a bunch of Ballads from the CD. Celtic Frost was originally posted on the flyer bills and newspapers but flaked out the last moment and Agnostic Front took their spot.

"If Anthrax wanted to follow the trends that were occurring, they would have released a no-talent grunge album ready for MTV and radio to play. But that's the last thing Anthrax would want to do. Instead they recorded their heaviest and most aggressive album ever" (Stomp 442)

LMAO... yeah Stomp is for sure the most Aggressive album Anthrax has ever done. It makes Among The Living seem like 'no-talent grunge'

They already ditched their thrash metal roots and released their grungy album with SOWN that was ready for MTV with "only" being pushed in every magazine, mtv, radio etc. The label put a ton of money into pushing 'only' trying to make Anthrax the next big thing. But it didn't really work... so back to 'metal' they went with Stomp... but it was far from the heaviest most aggressive thing EVER.. It was a watered down version of themselves. If the band actually believes that Stomp is one of the heaviest most aggressive albums ever they are completely delusional!