Anthrax / Iron Maiden 5/31 Irvine

Oct 5, 2003
Visit site
So I went to see Iron Maiden and Anthrax last night. I remember seeing Iron Maiden and Anthrax back in the persistence of time era at the same venue. Crazy it has been 15 years or what ever since then. How times have changed. Well back then Anthrax just put POT and they were in their prime. Iron maiden had just put out No Fear for the Dying which was a crappy record for their standards but live were still amazing.

Fast forward 15 years later and Anthrax now has yet another new vocalist and has departed yet again with Danny Spitz.

As I watched Anthrax play all I could do is try to close my eyes and pretend I wasn't really looking at a new singer and a different guitar player than Spitz. But even when I did that it was hard to get past the fact that besides Scott Ian this band is all but lost it. The crowd didn't get into them much. The new singer is good as a front man. He pretty much has the same look and stage moves as Phil Anselmo of Down. But for Anthrax it just doesn't do it for me. His voice sounds really similar to John Bush so for those kids on here that liked that Era you will be pleased. For us old school metal heads that grew up on Joey era Anthash, you will not be so much into it. I saw Anthrax 3 times on their Reunion tour and that shit was off the hook. Watching this new line up just doesn't do it for me, and by the reaction of the crowd it doesn't do much for them either.

I know everyone has their opinions but if Anthrax came out with Danny and Joey this crowd would have definetely been way more into the set. It was almost like watching an Anthrax cover band. They didn't sound bad per se' it is just stange watching this band play live with the line up changes

The crowd really didn't care one way or another for Anthrax's set. A far departure from how they reacted back in 1992 at the same venue. There wasn't even a pit going in the pit section. I have never seen that before during an Anthrax show.

Maiden however came out with the same line up they had back in 1992 but of course with Adrian Smith back. Maiden honest to god put on one of the best shows I have EVER seen in the 33 years of my existance. They were fucking amazing. Best stage show I have ever seen in my life combined with some of the best musicians ever put onto a stage. I can't do much but just say that Iron Maiden is the best metal band ever created and puts on the best live show of any band in history of rock/metal music. Iron Maiden makes all other metal bands look like amateurs. Black Sabbath may have 'invented' metal but Iron Maiden are the kings, the gods of metal. Judas Priest is good and all of that but even they can't touch the mighty Iron Maiden. Bruce Dickinson has a fucking incredible voice, and still runs around like a 20 year old kid. Im still in awe of thier performance. That place was fucking packed, sold out etc.

Maiden gets NO radio play in the USA other than on a few classic rock stations that will occasionally play Run to the Hills yet they can still sell out Irvine Meadows 2 nights in a row... fucking amazing!

End of it all I will not even remember Anthrax's performance. But this Maiden performance will be embedded in my mind the rest of my life! :worship:

Crazy it has been 15 years or what ever since then. How times have changed. Well back then Anthrax just put POT and they were in their prime. Iron maiden had just put out No Fear for the Dying which was a crappy record for their standards but live were still amazing . . . As I watched Anthrax play . . . it was hard to get past the fact that besides Scott Ian this band is all but lost it. The crowd didn't get into them much. The new singer is good as a front man. He pretty much has the same look and stage moves as Phil Anselmo of Down. But for Anthrax it just doesn't do it for me. His voice sounds really similar to John Bush so for those kids on here that liked that Era you will be pleased. For us old school metal heads that grew up on Joey era Anthash, you will not be so much into it. . . . End of it all I will not even remember Anthrax's performance. But this Maiden performance will be embedded in my mind the rest of my life! :worship:

ironmaidenfan09 "remembers maiden" about half as well as my son - who is 13 -and knows that No PRAYER FOR the Dying is the correct name of the first album released after Adrian Smith's departure. "REAL" metal heads would also know that John Bush was a metal icon after his years in the obscure, but highly respected band Armored Saint (Circa. 1984), and was highly sought after by Anthrax when Joey Belladonna left. John Bush emerged in metal around the same time that Anthrax did, so he hardly represents some "kid's" incarnation of Anthrax, as Ironmaidenfan09 suggests. And if Ironmaidenfan09 was so knowledgeable of Anthrax as he claims to be, he might know that Joey Belladonna joined the band after Frank Bello and Charlie Benante, who were members when the band was still called "The Diseased", and who, according to Ironmaidenfan09, are "lost" (see quote above). Granted, Rob Cagianno is no Danny Spitz, just like Janick Gers was no Adrian Smith. But bands evolve and things change, and if the Blaize Bailey years of Iron Maiden are proof of anything, it's that ill-fitting lead singers do not doom a band.

For all of his 33 years, ironmaidenfan09 is still a neophyte who can call himself anything he wants: a Maiden fan, a "classic" Anthrax fan, but he's neither, because he doesn't bother learning about the bands he professes to know so much about. It is fair to say that Scott Ian rocked the fucking house last night, but Charlie and Frank weren't exactly taking a nap; neither were Rob or Dan.

In fairness to ironmaidenfan09, I am not what you would call an Anthrax fan. In fact, I have never seen a show in my life. I was a Maiden fan when this poser was still in grammar school, when John Bush was working side-by-side with Scott Ian to forge a distinctly American style of metal on this side of the pond, when Metallica and Slayer were an underground phenomena, and before Thrash Metal even existed as a genre. I was there when Anthrax joined the ranks of progressive metal, infusing what had previously been called "Speed Metal" with their New York attitude and sense of humor.

I was at the same show and I fucking loved it. Ironmaidenfan09's comments ARE just his opinion, but he should take the time to learn his Maiden album titles before calling himself a fan, and he should put things in their historical context before blasting away at talented musicians like Frank Bello and Charlie Benante.

By the way: I like the new lead singer.:kickass:

My review of the entire Anthrax/Maiden show will appear later on both sites. I will do "The Maestro" Steve Harris, the courtesy of not reviewing his daughter, Lauren Harris :puke: at that time.

ironmaidenfan09 "remembers maiden" about half as well as my son - who is 13 -and knows that No PRAYER FOR the Dying is the correct name of the first album released after Adrian Smith's departure. "REAL" metal heads would also know that John Bush was a metal icon after his years in the obscure, but highly respected band Armored Saint (Circa. 1984), and was highly sought after by Anthrax when Joey Belladonna left. John Bush emerged in metal around the same time that Anthrax did, so he hardly represents some "kid's" incarnation of Anthrax, as Ironmaidenfan09 suggests. And if Ironmaidenfan09 was so knowledgeable of Anthrax as he claims to be, he might know that Joey Belladonna joined the band after Frank Bello and Charlie Benante, who were members when the band was still called "The Diseased", and who, according to Ironmaidenfan09, are "lost" (see quote above). Granted, Rob Cagianno is no Danny Spitz, just like Janick Gers was no Adrian Smith. But bands evolve and things change, and if the Blaize Bailey years of Iron Maiden are proof of anything, it's that ill-fitting lead singers do not doom a band.

For all of his 33 years, ironmaidenfan09 is still a neophyte who can call himself anything he wants: a Maiden fan, a "classic" Anthrax fan, but he's neither, because he doesn't bother learning about the bands he professes to know so much about. It is fair to say that Scott Ian rocked the fucking house last night, but Charlie and Frank weren't exactly taking a nap; neither were Rob or Dan.

In fairness to ironmaidenfan09, I am not what you would call an Anthrax fan. In fact, I have never seen a show in my life. I was a Maiden fan when this poser was still in grammar school, when John Bush was working side-by-side with Scott Ian to forge a distinctly American style of metal on this side of the pond, when Metallica and Slayer were an underground phenomena, and before Thrash Metal even existed as a genre. I was there when Anthrax joined the ranks of progressive metal, infusing what had previously been called "Speed Metal" with their New York attitude and sense of humor.

I was at the same show and I fucking loved it. Ironmaidenfan09's comments ARE just his opinion, but he should take the time to learn his Maiden album titles before calling himself a fan, and he should put things in their historical context before blasting away at talented musicians like Frank Bello and Charlie Benante.

By the way: I like the new lead singer.:kickass:

My review of the entire Anthrax/Maiden show will appear later on both sites. I will do "The Maestro" Steve Harris, the courtesy of not reviewing his daughter, Lauren Harris :puke: at that time.

Yeah,
That was an asshole comment and move, If he is such a "Maiden Fan" why the fuck is he on the Anthrax board Talking Shit..

I was out at Irvine Meadows last night.

I wasn't really an Anthrax fan until last night. I've seen 'em a few times, don't dislike 'em, respect Scott Ian, but they never really grabbed my attention all that much before. Last night I thought they've never sounded better. They sounded so great I decided to log on here to celebrate it.

In my admittedly non-expert opinion, I thought the new vocalist, Dan Nelson, kicked *ass*. I disagree that the crowd wasn't into it. For a crowd that was mostly there to see Maiden, and a house that was only about 2/3 full during Anthrax' set, they were *way* enthusiastic.

As for Maiden? Jesus Christ, I think that was the best show I've ever been to. Bruce Dickinson still has every note, sounding maybe even more gorgeous than he sounded twenty years ago. I, too, love Priest, but ... Maiden just blew away everybody else. Fantastic night. (Great pyro, too.)

This is not a personal attack on anybody, but you could basicly reunite Led Zeppelin with John Bonham raised back from the dead, have them play before Iron Maiden, and most Maiden fans would boo them and chant "Maiden! Maiden!".

I'm not sure what planet ironmaidenfan09 is from but I was at both shows this weekend and Anthrax totally fucking ruled!! The crowd response was AMAZING both nights! They were actually just as loud for Anthrax at times as they were for Maiden. It's almost like ironmaidenfan09 is making shit up as if he wasn't even there (probably wasn't) I was definitely skeptical but Dan fucking owned the crowd from the first song both nights and the band sounded tighter than I've heard them in years! The second show was definitely heavier and there was more fire up there but both nights were fucking sick! I felt that Dan Nelson was actually more comfortable on the mic for the second show. He sings both Anthrax eras (not counting Neil Turbin)great! I can't wait to hear the new stuff to see what he brings to the table on a record. Rob Caggiano was great on the first night but he fucking RULED the second night!! Charlie, Frank and Scott were amazing (as always) for both shows. Iron Maiden sounded INCREDIBLE but as a band, they were definitely a little lower in energy than Anthrax. Janick is a total tool and he's goofier on stage than anyone I've ever seen but their set was crushing nonetheless and the stage looked killer! Bruce Dickinson was truly amazing. He hit every note perfectly both nights and worked the stage like a madman. They sounded so good that if I closed my eyes, it felt like I was listening to the record!! All in all this was an amazing weekend with 2 of the best bands around!

I'm not sure what planet ironmaidenfan09 is from but I was at both shows this weekend and Anthrax totally fucking ruled!! The crowd response was AMAZING both nights! They were actually just as loud for Anthrax at times as they were for Maiden. It's almost like ironmaidenfan09 is making shit up as if he wasn't even there (probably wasn't) I was definitely skeptical but Dan fucking owned the crowd from the first song both nights and the band sounded tighter than I've heard them in years! The second show was definitely heavier and there was more fire up there but both nights were fucking sick! I felt that Dan Nelson was actually more comfortable on the mic for the second show. He sings both Anthrax eras (not counting Neil Turbin)great! I can't wait to hear the new stuff to see what he brings to the table on a record. Rob Caggiano was great on the first night but he fucking RULED the second night!! Charlie, Frank and Scott were amazing (as always) for both shows. Iron Maiden sounded INCREDIBLE but as a band, they were definitely a little lower in energy than Anthrax. Janick is a total tool and he's goofier on stage than anyone I've ever seen but their set was crushing nonetheless and the stage looked killer! Bruce Dickinson was truly amazing. He hit every note perfectly both nights and worked the stage like a madman. They sounded so good that if I closed my eyes, it felt like I was listening to the record!! All in all this was an amazing weekend with 2 of the best bands around!

Maiden had a lower energy than Anthrax??? You must be blind and stupid son. Maiden put on one of the best shows I have ever seen in my entire life. I will not even remember this Anthrax performance a year from now but Maidens performance this night was one I will never forget. Anthrax is dead, new singers in old school metal bands just don't work. I am atleast glad I was able to catch Joey and Danny 3 times before Anthrax decided to give the boot to them yet again.

Maiden had a lower energy than Anthrax??? You must be blind and stupid son.

I dont know about blind and stupid but you sure do sound ignorant towards Anthrax just because Spitz and Belladonna are no longer in the band again.

Geez just imagine if Maiden came out with Blaze Bayley still singing, you would go home a very sad individual indeed. Your part of the review mentioning Anthrax sucks and i would rather have a new album with new singer Dan than a new album with Belladonna. That would not really interest me very much at all.

I thought Anthrax did well on Saturday night. I thought Dan Nelson did a good job, but until I hear some of the new stuff, it's hard to make a full opinion. Plus I am a huge Bush fan, both in AS and Anthrax, so in my eyes/ears it hard for someone to outsing the original songs that John/Anthrax wrote/played together. I will agree where someone said that Janick was a bit of a tool on stage, but no way did Anthrax have more energy than Maiden, in my opinion. It was one of the best shows I've seen Maiden put on, and my ass has seen them play live since the Killers tour. I had a great night though... Both bands were solid and then some.

Hey knucklehead09, I agree that Iron Maiden was amazing this past weekend! However, I DO NOT agree with your review of Anthrax's performance at all. As a band Anthrax definitely had more energy on stage than Maiden and that's exactly what I would expect anyway! I'm talking about real "human" energy, not pyro and stage props! Bruce Dickinson had enough energy to carry the whole band and the rest of the guys just kind of stood there and played (except for Janick of course who danced around like he had a banana in his ass!). It doesn't matter though cuz they were still amazing and yes, they put on one of the best shows I had ever seen too!! You just seem like a jaded old schooler that still can't get past 1987. As far as Anthrax goes, I saw 2 of the Anthrax reunion shows myself and although I thought it was kind of cool in a nostalgic sort of way, the fire, attitude and vibe that I saw on the WCFYA tour just a few months before was nowhere to be found!!! It was simply NOT as good! Dan Spitz was sloppy both times and Belladonna looked like a fucking muppet on stage. On top of that, the whole thing just felt forced and contrived. Yes, Among the Living was an incredible album back then and it's one of my favorite albums of all time but I happen to like the musical journey Anthrax has taken us on since then and I think the band got better and better over the years. When John Bush joined their sound got a lot more serious and less goofy (which I prefer) and the music evolved. Their two performances this past weekend were some of the best I had ever seen from them and I've seen them a million times at this point! I really look forward to hearing some new music with Dan (and Rob)!! If I wanted to hear Among the Living or Spreading the Disease I could easily wipe the dust off and pop them into my player......NOT today!

Hey knucklehead09, I agree that Iron Maiden was amazing this past weekend! However, I DO NOT agree with your review of Anthrax's performance at all. As a band Anthrax definitely had more energy on stage than Maiden and that's exactly what I would expect anyway! I'm talking about real "human" energy, not pyro and stage props! Bruce Dickinson had enough energy to carry the whole band and the rest of the guys just kind of stood there and played (except for Janick of course who danced around like he had a banana in his ass!). It doesn't matter though cuz they were still amazing and yes, they put on one of the best shows I had ever seen too!! You just seem like a jaded old schooler that still can't get past 1987. As far as Anthrax goes, I saw 2 of the Anthrax reunion shows myself and although I thought it was kind of cool in a nostalgic sort of way, the fire, attitude and vibe that I saw on the WCFYA tour just a few months before was nowhere to be found!!! It was simply NOT as good! Dan Spitz was sloppy both times and Belladonna looked like a fucking muppet on stage. On top of that, the whole thing just felt forced and contrived. Yes, Among the Living was an incredible album back then and it's one of my favorite albums of all time but I happen to like the musical journey Anthrax has taken us on since then and I think the band got better and better over the years. When John Bush joined their sound got a lot more serious and less goofy (which I prefer) and the music evolved. Their two performances this past weekend were some of the best I had ever seen from them and I've seen them a million times at this point! I really look forward to hearing some new music with Dan (and Rob)!! If I wanted to hear Among the Living or Spreading the Disease I could easily wipe the dust off and pop them into my player......NOT today!

Actually P.O.T. was the album where they stopped the 'goofy' type thing. P.O.T. blows away anything that they have done since. None the less I was at all of the Belladonna shows they did. The reunion when they played at the Avalon was one of the best shows I have ever seen yet alone and Anthrax show. The place was sold out and the entire floor and balcony was going absolutely apeshit.

I don't know Joey personally. He must be a total jerk off or what ever for Anthrax to keep giving him the boot. But the band will always be known for the Joey era rather than the John Bush and now Dan era. There will be the die hards on this forum that like the Stomp album etc but let's be realistic when you go to an Anthrax show most people are there to here the Joey Era songs.

If Anthrax hates the Joey era so much why not just quit playing his era songs and see how many people turn out to the shows lol

What ever though I am just speaking on behalf of most Old school AnTHRASH fans who don't come to this forum and speak their mind.

I love when people try to back up their opinions by saying "the rest of the crowd hated it, too." Dude, if you didn't like it, that's cool, but don't speak for everyone there. And Dan Spitz is a fine guitar player, but Rob kicks all kinds of ass.

Didn't SOWN go platinum? Did any of the Joey-era albums go platinum? This is a serious question, no sarcasm intended, I'm really not sure. I know I'm The Man went platinum, I think even double. But that was an EP. I think John has the only platinum Anthrax record to date, please correct me if I'm wrong. And to me every record has gotten better since. Says a lot about the Bush-era material and how the band has progressed during the course of their career. To hear it belittled is insane to me.

Didn't SOWN go platinum? Did any of the Joey-era albums go platinum? This is a serious question, no sarcasm intended, I'm really not sure. I know I'm The Man went platinum, I think even double. But that was an EP. I think John has the only platinum Anthrax record to date, please correct me if I'm wrong. And to me every record has gotten better since. Says a lot about the Bush-era material and how the band has progressed during the course of their career. To hear it belittled is insane to me.

Among, SOE, POT, Killer B's and SOWN went gold.

I"m the Man went double platinum, so clearly record sales do not necessarily equal quality.

What ever though I am just speaking on behalf of most Old school AnTHRASH fans who don't come to this forum and speak their mind.

Dont speak for anyone, just speak for yourself. If "old school anthraX fans" dont come to this forum is because they dont care to post, not because they can't say what they want.

Fuck, i didn't came here because people like you and when i came i found this.