Anthrax or Megadeth

I loved Anthrax up to and including Among the Living, but they lost me after that. I've always thought that State of Euphoria was just an awful record. Their schtick got old quickly. Always loved their Kiss covers though!

Their discography pales in comparison to Megadeth's. I mean Rust in Peace destroys anything Anthrax has done....though they are hardly the worst thrash band ever.

c) I believe "Among The Living" is overrated
d) They should quit and split after "Persistence Of Time"

You killed me, man! :Smug:

I totally disagree with you. Personally I consider "State of euphoria" and "Persistence of time" their worst albums. I don´t trust in albums which their best songs are covers ("Antisocial" and "Got the time")

Said that, I prefer Anthrax to Megadeth. Why? Some facts:

- Best album from any of them: "Rust in peace". One of the greatest ever in metal.
- More very good albums. By far Anthrax. IMO: Megadeth: 4 Anthrax: 6
- Awful records. By far Megadeth 3 (Anthrax 0)

By the way. I love 80´s Anthrax albums but Bush era is, in my opinion, better. And live, you can´t compare. Bush is god on stage, Belladona :puke:

Not at all. I meant what I said. The best (production, composition, execution, etc.) is "State Of Euphoria" IMO, but the one I like the most is "Spreading The Disease".

Being objective is difficult most of the times, but if you breath deeply and think you can realize that something can be good even if you don't like it, or something you really like is not good. Maybe a bit philosophical but works for me.

How do you rank music "objectively"? That's impossible. "Good", "bad", "better", "worse", these are all subjective things by default.
If liking an album is not based on the quality of composition, production etc, then what is it based on? Band photos? Number of tracks? Sales?

Not trying to be an ass here (or maybe I am, I don't know, it's 2AM here), but this just doesn't make any sense at all to me. It's like saying "Coca-Cola tastes great but I don't like it", totally nonsensical.

I know what hes talking about. Its that you may realize a band has done good or enjoyable music but it just isnt your cup of tea. (not speaking for album in question because they dont interest me.

That said Mustaine may have already done his best material but his riffs are the with the best of the best, not to mention all other song writing qualities. Rust in Peace, Countdown.... forget about it, some of the best stuff out there.

Not at all. I meant what I said. The best (production, composition, execution, etc.) is "State Of Euphoria" IMO, but the one I like the most is "Spreading The Disease".

Being objective is difficult most of the times, but if you breath deeply and think you can realize that something can be good even if you don't like it, or something you really like is not good. Maybe a bit philosophical but works for me.

Wait, wot? I'm not one for objectifying music, but I can understand Among the Living being their "best" (due to influence and such) or Persistence of Time (since it's the closest they got to a more technical/musician-based sound), but State of Euphoria? It's AtL v2 with drums that sound like plastic.

Wait, wot? I'm not one for objectifying music, but I can understand Among the Living being their "best" (due to influence and such) or Persistence of Time (since it's the closest they got to a more technical/musician-based sound), but State of Euphoria? It's AtL v2 with drums that sound like plastic.

Interesting you mention POT, I do like that album a lot. Many people bash it, but I think that after SOE is their best technically speaking. Sorry but I keep my belief that ATL is overrated and from an appealling point of view STD is my favorite.

How do you rank music "objectively"? That's impossible. "Good", "bad", "better", "worse", these are all subjective things by default.
If liking an album is not based on the quality of composition, production etc, then what is it based on? Band photos? Number of tracks? Sales?

Not trying to be an ass here (or maybe I am, I don't know, it's 2AM here), but this just doesn't make any sense at all to me. It's like saying "Coca-Cola tastes great but I don't like it", totally nonsensical.

a) Exactly an album quality is ranked based on composition, production, etc. But the album appealing is merely subjective to the listener.

b) I don't think the Coke analogy works that way. The way can be: Coca-Cola it's a great quality product but I don't like it. Look it my way, Pepsi is probably a good quality product, has high quality production materials, high quality production standards, high hygiene manufacture practices, etc., but I don't like it.

I don't like Slayer, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Accept, Nevermore and countless other bands but I never said they're bad (well I had said it about Slayer but the debate stirred was too long and sterile, not worth to be repeated). I just don't like them.

I'm (well not as much as I used to be) a thrash metal nut, but even so I honestly never liked more than a few Anthrax songs.
Megadeth, however, released what I feel is the peak of all thrash metal, Rust In Peace.
IMHO nothing Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Testament etc made anything that topped RIP.

Megadeth by a country mile.

First two Anthrax are essential by my book of metal. After that I really don't care much about them.

Megadeth, because they never released albums which were complete failures, since even the more commercial ones were at least partially enjoyable. Anthrax was awesome in the 80's, but then they started releasing lame albums, and still haven't recovered.