Anthrax to release covers E.P. & Live DVD

Joecephus

Mar 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
www. joecephus.com
via Blabbercrap:

ANTHRAX will issue an EP of cover songs in September to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the release of the band's latest album, "Worship Music". "It started out as what I call 'The '70s EP'," ANTHRAX drummer Charlie Benante tells Loudwire. "It's made up of some cover songs from our favorite bands — consisting of RUSH, THIN LIZZY, BOSTON, JOURNEY … We're still working on it now, but I think it's gonna be really cool."

The following covers are expected to appear on the forthcoming EP:

* AC/DC - "T.N.T."
* BOSTON - "Smokin'"
* JOURNEY - "Keep On Runnin'"
* RUSH - "Anthem"

ANTHRAX also recorded a cover version of BLACK SABBATH's classic song "Neon Knights" for inclusion on the upcoming Ronnie James Dio tribute album which is being assembled by the singer's widow and longtime manager Wendy Dio.

Video footage of Benante laying down the drum track to a cover version of RUSH's "Anthem" (from the Canadian rock band's second album, 1975's "Fly By Night") can be seen below.

According to guitarist Scott Ian, ANTHRAX's sold-out March 15 concert at O2 Islington Academy in London, England was filmed for an upcoming DVD.

ANTHRAX's latest album, "Worship Music", sold 28,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 12 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous studio CD, 2003's "We've Come For You All", opened with just under 10,000 units to debut at No. 122.

I think its hilarious that they are doing a Journey cover, but I'm sort of looking forward to this. I really want to hear their take on Anthem.

cover.jpg

i think he just meant this will be a proper ep,a's was basically just filler wheer as this one will kick as much ass as the b's if thats possible lol

My own opinion is: fuck the EP. Seriously. How hard can it be for this band to write some new material.

I remember how in the late 80s/early 90s Anthrax were described by Kerrang as the world's highest paid cover band. Nothing wrong with covers, but when you rely upon them over your own originals (Antisocial, Got the Time) something's maybe awry.

All these covers would probably sound just like originals, I'd like to hear something more "tricky" like when they did Got The Time or London...

Metallica play about 20 songs in their setlist. We're lucky if we get 14 from Anthrax.

But the ultimate point is: since the release of We've Come for You All in 2003, Anthrax have managed to write 13 songs, 3 of which are instrumentals.

That's a piss poor return.

They have enough material for another album. You expect them to come out with another in less than a year while touring their asses off for Worship Music??

at least anthrax are consistent,every 8 or so years between the last few albums lol,cant expect them to smash another album out for at leats another 5 or 6 lol

I could be wrong, but I feel they finally have their shit together and will have another album out alot sooner than that.

I could be wrong, but I feel they finally have their shit together and will have another album out alot sooner than that.

The danger there is that they put out something hastily done, like State of Euphoria, especially now that they're out of the album/tour/album/tour grind of the mid-late 80s.

During that era there was even more of a chance of something being hastily done.

Plus State of Euphoria is awesome.

Unfortunately because of the nature of the record industry today, and lack of income from selling records the cycle is more like:

package tour/headline tour/short break/summer festivals/package tour/short break/headline tour/package tour/short break/package tour/summer festivals/short break/package tour/record album/package tour/headline club shows/package tour/mix album/summer festivals/short break/package tour/release album

Repeat.