March 19, 2013 "Anthems" EP Release Date

Joecephus

Mar 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
www. joecephus.com
http://loudwire.com/anthrax-release-date-partial-track-list-anthems-covers-ep/

Anthrax‘s potential EP of cover songs has been discussed about for a while, but now there’s finally confirmation that the thrash legends will indeed release the effort, titled ‘Anthems,’ on March 19. It will include covers of songs by AC/DC, Rush, Cheap Trick and more.

During an interview we conducted with Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante in June 2012, we got the exclusive scoop of the EP, which Benante claimed would serve as a celebration for the one-year anniversary of ‘Worship Music,’ which came and went in September 2012. Shortly after Benante broke the news, guitarist Scott Ian denied the drummer’s claims, while singer Joey Belladonna stated that it was “a possibility” and that he hoped the EP would come to fruition.

Six months after Benante’s original statement, the covers EP will finally be getting a release date of March 19. The 2013 Grammy nominees have also released some of the EP’s track listing, which includes renditions of Rush’s ‘Anthem,’ Thin Lizzy’s ‘Jailbreak,’ AC/DC’s ‘TNT,’ Cheap Trick’s ‘Big Eyes,’ Boston’s ‘Smokin” and Journey’s ‘Keep on Runnin’,’ among others yet to be confirmed.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::kickass::kickass::kickass:

I like TNT but yes, there are other AC/DC songs I think I'd rather hear them cover. Awhile back I saw a clip f them jamming Whole Lotta Rosie backstage somewhere and I initially thought they might record it but no dice. Maybe they figured it would make it more obvious where Devil You Know came from.

Can't see Joey hitting the Geddy Lee register in Anthem, but equally John Bush wouldn't have (and Lee himself probably cannot now). Similarly Anthrax don't seem a twin guitar attack band in the Lizzy mould for Jailbreak.

Looking forward to this EP. Anthrax always seem to excel on their covers.

01. Anthem (RUSH cover)
02. Jailbreak (THIN LIZZY cover)
03. TNT (AC/DC cover)
04. Smokin' (BOSTON cover)
05. Big Eyes (CHEAP TRICK cover)
06. Keep On Runnin' (JOURNEY cover)
07. Crawl (album version)
08. Crawl (special remix)

tracklisting

So they can act like they're giving you more for the money.

The remix will undoubtedly be the same one that's on the Japanese Worship Music, which is nice, but really not necessary.

That's interesting that Crawl is going to be on it... I wonder what the "special mix" will sound like.

Crawl's become one of my favorite songs on Worship Music, as a matter of fact I think its blown the theory (a theory that I myself used to spout) that Joey can't sing any of the Bush era stuff --- as Crawl sounds like it was written for John, yet Joey is GREAT on it.