Anvil! The Story of Anvil!

I saw this and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

With that said theres a reason why they never made it. They suck. I never cared for them in the 80's, and I still dont now.

For a kickass band from the 80s that starts with "A", and has 5 letters I look to the one they call ARTCH.

*Cranks "Another Return To Churchill"*

Omen > Anvil
Manilla Road > Anvil
Jag Panzer > Anvil
Cirith Ungol > Anvil

Need I go on?
That being said, I do like me some Anvil, but they were "C" level trad metal at best.

I thought it was a really good film. I had a few small issues with it. I wonder how much was shot for the film for drama and to have visuals to go with what was happening......

- what band sends cassette tapes to a producer?

- does anyone really just walking into record companies to drop off their demo? maybe they do....but to major labels? how sad.

- if you were invited to go on a European Tour...wouldnt you want to make sure everything seem legit and organized before leaving? With the internet you can find out about clubs way before playing there.

The biggest issue is that the band themselves believed that they deserved this great record deal just because they have been doing this for a long time and have lots of records out. In this day and age with the power of the internet and with so many labels out there...it shouldnt be hard for a band like Anvil to get a decent enough deal...or try to rebuild your fanbase by playing different fest and putting on a killer show to win new fans over. They really seem not to have a clue how to run a band in this current age.

I did really enjoy watching Lips running all over the Sweeden Rockfest chasing down anyone famous.

I highly recommend seeing this, lots of fun.

Diabolik - No. Do you read Blabbermouth? Seems that every week some band is getting fucked over while on tour.

Diabolik - No. Do you read Blabbermouth? Seems that every week some band is getting fucked over while on tour.

First off....I wouldnt say Blabbermouth is the most reliable news source. I know all about bands being screwed over on tours and the nightmares involved. It just seemed that in the movie that this random person booked this tour and they just went.
If that was me...I would be cruising message boards asking about these clubs and such to find out if this is even worth it.

I saw the advertisement for this movie on VH1 today. The clips they showed of the concert crowds made it look pretty exciting.

~ Jen

Always liked Anvil and respected them. They'll probably always be king of the hard luck bands, but I still respect their tenacity. As for checking out the tour manager/itinerary before those Euro gigs, yeah that would've been a good idea in a perfect world, but it isn't as easy as it seems to make sure everything is kosher. Even the best planned tour will have screwups, let alone something like this... where they essentially only have themselves and maybe a tiny staff if that, to do everything.

i have always respected Anvil too. They stuck to their guns and did what they loved doing.

and for those of you who care about what you are doing YES, you send tapes and YES you walk into these places to drop off your music.

as for me...if i book a band and they say check out our stuff on myspace or FB, i say send me a press kit and a REAL CD, and they freak out. it's pretty fun.

Always liked Anvil and respected them. They'll probably always be king of the hard luck bands, but I still respect their tenacity. As for checking out the tour manager/itinerary before those Euro gigs, yeah that would've been a good idea in a perfect world, but it isn't as easy as it seems to make sure everything is kosher. Even the best planned tour will have screwups, let alone something like this... where they essentially only have themselves and maybe a tiny staff if that, to do everything.

actually it is...no more than ever. With many message boards and communities and fan sites...you can pretty much ask if a clubs is cool or not, if you really want to go the extra effort. Plus for a band that has been around for as long as them....you would think they would know what they are doing by now. I do think that lots of stuff in this film was altered for dramatic purposes....like the last concert.

i have always respected Anvil too. They stuck to their guns and did what they loved doing.

and for those of you who care about what you are doing YES, you send tapes and YES you walk into these places to drop off your music.

as for me...if i book a band and they say check out our stuff on myspace or FB, i say send me a press kit and a REAL CD, and they freak out. it's pretty fun.

I dont think a major label is going to take anyone over another band who walks into thier front door and says I am here to drop this off to the higher ups. I am sure it will go into that box called "garbage".

Has anyone seen this movie about the Canadian Heavy/Power metal band Anvil? Such a great and moving movie about them.

Has anyone seen this movie about the Canadian Heavy/Power metal band Anvil? Such a great and moving movie about them.

Watched it this weekend on VH-1 Classic. I have never heard Anvil, and based on the music I heard I don't need to hear any more. However, it was a FANTASTIC movie that really shows the down-to-earth, real world life most of these musicians are going through, simply for the love of the music.

Best moment was the very end, where they fly all the way to Japan and are concerned that the huge festival will only have 50 people or so, since they are on so early in the morning. I didn't know which way that was going to go for them.....

Watched it this weekend on VH-1 Classic.

I did as well. I wanted to see it in the cinema but it did not show around here. I thought it was great. I am not nor do I see myself becoming an Anvil fan but you don't need to be to enjoy this film. Good Stuff!