Anvil! The Story of Anvil!

For fuck's sake, we are talking about ANVIL here.
No, actually you two are talking about whether or not someone whose never been to ProgPower should have an opinion about bands who play there.

We were talking about Anvil and maybe we should go back to that. Maybe? :saint:

Thank you.

You need to take a business class (or ten) if you think ANY promoter is only interested in hearing from its repeat customers.

For fuck's sake, we are talking about ANVIL here.

i have a bachelor's degree in business actually. thanks, plus i have owned my own business for over 10 years now. :headbang:

but i would most definitely listen to attendees of the fest before taking opinions seriously of those who have never attended. With an event that has sold every year except this past year he definitely has a massive and devoted following already intact. again, that is just me and what i would do.

i listen to my band's fans ideas all the time. now someone who has never heard our music or actually attended a live show? not so much. especially criticism on how to make things better for the future.

but i would most definitely listen to attendees of the fest before taking opinions seriously of those who have never attended.

WOW!!!!! Are you even remotely serious?
You seriously could not have EVER taken a marketing class then with that logic.

EVERY company elicits feedback, esp from those who HAVEN'T purchased the product, to identify the wants and needs of potential customers.

Furthermore, Glen's lineup NEVER solely appeals to its repeat customers.
How many bands has Glen introduced to its existing fanbase?
The answer is tons.

Just look at the Amorphis booking.
Glen himself stated many times that the obvious reason for this booking was to reach out to more attendees. Granted, the majority here spent months pissing and moaning trying to defend whether Amorphis is prog enough or not for the fest, which further exemplifies that some here don't understand the business side of things.

So VenomGA, yes, I did answer your questions, several times in fact.

Discounting someone's opinions simply because they never attended the fest is absurd. If you owned a business, wouldn't you be more interested in hearing the opinions of someone who is a potential customer, as opposed to a repeat customer who is simply going to say every booking is a good one?

Sure, the repeat attendees are very important to this festival. From a business perspective though, if they are definites, that is not who Glen has to win over. Doesn't make you guys any less important, but from a marketing perspective, Glen has to see what would bring in new blood.

(IE - Tyr's success in the States following PaganFest, etc, etc.)

If you seriously think that the majority of Glen's decisions were driven by repeat customers as opposed to the metal community at large, then I am done with this discussion.

To get back on topic concerning ANVIL, I think its a case of their fans on here getting to defensive over them. Sorry, but ANVIL will forever be a novelty act, due to the documentary. It will make them a few bucks, but they are now forever the modern Spinal Tap, regardless of their music abilities. Booking a band like ANVIL now, to me at least, would go against what makes Prog Power unique.

i listen to my band's fans ideas all the time. now someone who has never heard our music or actually attended a live show? not so much. especially criticism on how to make things better for the future.

Well, this model might work for your business, and that is great!
I certainly respect anyone who is in biz for themselves.

Though, if someone gave one of your band's a crappy review, wouldn't you be interested in the reasons why? OR would you simply write it off as, "They aren't a fan, so who cares"?????

Per my previous post, this is where I think marketing comes in huge.
Just my opinion.

Well, this model might work for your business, and that is great!
I certainly respect anyone who is in biz for themselves.

Though, if someone gave one of your band's a crappy review, wouldn't you be interested in the reasons why? OR would you simply write it off as, "They aren't a fan, so who cares"?????

Per my previous post, this is where I think marketing comes in huge.
Just my opinion.

CD/Show reviews are completely different beast. this is a person who has at least heard our music and formed an opinion, same with a live show review. but the point is they have experienced what we do in some form rather that critique us from rumors, hearsay or videos seen online. i also have no say what a band on my label does with negative reviews. if they choose to listen it's up to them, but i am fortunate to be both in a band and also running the label that my band is on. so i see both sides very clearly and i understand how important marketing is.

my point on not listening to non-attendees was saying we are ten years into this fest and i see tons of the same people every year. if glenn was planning on moving the venue to a larger place then i could understand listening to other people when they say bring Ozzfest or bigger drawing type bands, but his capacity is limited therefore growth via marketing "outside the box" is not really needed. sure, there are people who come and go every year but there is a definite "core" of attendees who remain loyal i see each year. and each year he adds different bands that pull new people in to fill the vacant slots. again, the current economy may alter the future attendance of the fest, but the past 10 years he seems to have done okay.

i come every year regardless of who is playing. it's to be a part of the experience for me and see old friends.

I watched it about 4 times on British Air flights back and forth to Europe this spring! I was definitely in the camp of "Anvil? Who's that??" before I watched the movie, but I absolutely loved it! It really shed light on what the smaller bands do - and have to do - to try and make it. While I didn't finish watching them and run out and buy '13' (or any other Anvil releases) I really did enjoy the flick. You gotta love the heart these dudes have!

I may go to see Anvil when they play Atlanta in January, and it isn't because of the Spinal Tap moment. It is because I have been a fan from the beginning... and I am not the lone soul who was into them from the beginning. There are several of their albums I deem very listenable, not just Hard And Heavy etc. I liked Speed Of Sound alot, and many others besides the early/mid 80s titles. It's just good metal IMO, be it their true metal days, the speed metal or power metal albums... most of what they did I like. Only thing I wish is that a second guitarist would be added, to make the sound a bit fuller live.

As for the argument of who Glen should target, I agree with Matt that most of the focus should go to existing PP attendees. Anyone else (who can't get off their ass and attend) is just sitting at their computer trying to run the show, and may in fact have no clue of what draws fans, or has no intention of ever attending... so screw them and their opinions. Just saying, the bulk of the "end result" comes from the true fans... those who actually attend the show. Yes, listen to everyone, but in the end go more with the true PP fan's opinions.

(IE - Tyr's success in the States following PaganFest, etc, etc.)

I was certainly shocked to see these guys on this fest, especially after seeing them twice in front of the "pagan" crowds. The band received the worse response of all the bands on those two tours.

Takes to much effort to worry about what reviewers think. A guy reviews an album and takes two opening paragraphs to explain how he does not like the genre the band happens to be then he proceeds to write a bad review. Well the guy was already set to write a bad one.
Eighteen year old kid reviews a traditional metal album and gives it a bad review. What does an eighteen year old know about metal? He was not even alive to see a good Maiden album released. So who cares what these guys think.

The Anvil movie is certainly moving, my eyes glazed over a few times. As I was in the theater watching it a row of frat boys sat behind me laughing at it like it was Spinal Tap. I really wanted to get into a rumble.
The movie showed the way things go. I see this with bands almost everyday. Some showed up yesterday other have been doing what they do for many years. And think the movie was good in so many aspects. I also give those guys total respect for holding on.
I do wonder that if they had the chance would they have become the fuctards Metallica are. And well all this hype and success make them dicks now.
Matt I totally agree with your option on the marketing argument. Why bother looking outside it is pointless really.
On another note I have seen Matt’s shows, and watched how his product moves, there doesn’t seem to be a problem with his marketing ideas.

Great show as always. Only downside was turning up too early. 3 opening bands :rolleyes: No Strength of Steel but happy to hear the classics & Hope In Hell.

Not a huge Anvil fan, but I did enjoy the film. Anyone who thinks that illegally downloading music is no big deal should have to watch this. For every Metallica - who, no, probably won't miss the buck or two they would have received from a legal download - there are thousands of Anvils, struggling to just put food on the table.

I admit, I'm late to this party. I mean REALLY late. I saw this thread when the movie came out several years ago but only saw it a couple of days ago on DVD.

I was not into metal when Anvil was in their prime, but really like that they're still willing to give what it takes to put out good music, even in this day and age. Since the movie came out they've put out two more albums and continue to go on tour. So I'm glad they're able to continue on even though it's very difficult to do so, trying to support families and juggle low paying day jobs and going out on tour.

I'm glad I'm able to support metal bands through various means. Yes, *BUYING* their CDs (not illegally downloading) is very important, but supporting bands through sponsoring festivals (such as ProgPower USA) and with crowdsourced campaigns (Kickstarter, etc.) are ways to really help out the small guys. I've supported several crowdsourced efforts this year alone and will continue to do so. :)