Any 6 string bassists out there?

squidfetish

Apr 15, 2006
Cornwall, England
Hi there! Er... I was wondering if there are any 6 string bassists out there. I got me an Ibanez Soungear 6 string bass a few months back and I'm finally getting to grips with it, having only played a 4 string for years ( I blame John Myung!!). Any of you guys and gals play one? If so, what you got and how are you getting on with it?

Apologies if this sorta thread has happened before - I'm a newbie - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Regards
Rob :headbang:

Jaen said:
I play a 5 string fretless, not quite the same but well, i like it...=p

Cool. Fretless is a different challenge all together - another thing I've yet to get to grips with. They do sound helluva sexy when they're played well.

goth_fiend said:
I want a 6 string bass, does that count?:heh:

Go on. You know you want to. Do it. But try not to get one of those ones that's got a neck like a surfboard. Mine was cheap, but at least it's playable. :danceboy:

6 string basses are SO COOL!!! You have the low B and the high C also!

My bassist was saving up for an XBox 360, but he decided to put that money toward a 6 string bass. And I'm thinking about trading in my Ibanez 5 string bass to get a 6 string of the exact same model.

squidfetish said:
Cool. Fretless is a different challenge all together - another thing I've yet to get to grips with. They do sound helluva sexy when they're played well.

yea, it's a whole other experience of playing, especially if you consider that the fretboards on my guitars are scalloped hehe.

Ptah Khnemu said:
6 string basses are SO COOL!!! You have the low B and the high C also!

Ah right. I tune to high B so I can use the same chord shapes as I would on a guitar. Maybe it's me being lazy, but I got enough action trying to remember I got 2 extra strings without changing the tuning. But..... I can see the benefits of tuning to C. Hmmmm...

Jaen said:
yea, it's a whole other experience of playing, especially if you consider that the fretboards on my guitars are scalloped hehe.

:OMG: eeeeek!

OMFG I ACTUALLY HAVE A 6 STRING BASS!!!!!!! It's a miracle that me and John Myung aren't the only people with one.

Sometimes I tune it standard in fourths but I also usually have B standard guitar tuning on it.

I've had mine for a little over 7 months now.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I see your nine and raise you 3 strings!

I've been doing research on extended-range basses for a while now, I'm obsessed with them, but I can't afford anything above 6 just yet. I'm certainly getting a 7 when it's possible.

:OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

how the fuck do you wrap you hand around that????

I played on a fretless 6 string bass once... It was a replica of the original Jacko Pastorius thing :)
Hell, what a feeling!

The Stormbringer said:
I'm looking into getting a five-string somewhere down the road, preferably a fretless one, but extra high strings are just dead weight in my opinion. Right now, four strings is all I need.

I thought so until I started using my arpeggios a bit more. I think the trick with these sorts of basses is to find the balance between doing too much and too little. Most bands don't want their bassist widdling away up in the top frequencies, and rightly so, but playing the odd tasteful arpeggio and break in the right place and at the right time is good I reckon. Les Claypool is excused from any rules regarding the bass though....

That's a point - would you even class Claypool as a bass player? Or more of an awesome musician who just happens to do what he does on a bass? I dunno... I'm all confuzzled now.... I need beer.... :Smokin: