Any 6 string bassists out there?

Well, there's the bass players and then there's the people who are playing bass as a lead in bands. Those are the ones who have many strings. :)

War Blade said:
how the fuck do you wrap you hand around that????
You're not supposed to. There's a different technique with your hands that extended range bass players use.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I see your nine and raise you 3 strings!
I didn't see the picture of that 12 string before. Remember what I said about the 9 string bass desimating a small country? The 12 string would desimate the 9 string. And the little bit of advice in Progbass's sig wouldn't do much good. That bass would beat the living SHIT out of anyone who so much as looked at it funny.

squidfetish said:
but I think well thought-out fills and stuff are acceptable. :)
Of course they are... being a bassist myself I naturally don't want to be shoved into that trite bass pocket too easily, but if you consider that 98% of all the good bass lines (and fills, for that matter) out there were written on a four-string bass, I just don't see the necessity for three million strings on an instrument that's supposed to be the missing link between rhythm and melody. Just look at what Geddy, Squire, Entwistle or any other classic bass hero could do.
I mean, whatever floats his or her respective boat, but I'm happy about not having that certain extended range bassist's mindset.

I guess I should rephrase myself.

Extended range basses are intended for people making a career as bass players. SOLO bass players. If the main focus of the music is the bass, I say why not get a bass with 6+ strings?

And as far as Geddy Lee goes, I say he is the god of 4-string basses.

squidfetish said:
Hi there! Er... I was wondering if there are any 6 string bassists out there. I got me an Ibanez Soungear 6 string bass a few months back and I'm finally getting to grips with it, having only played a 4 string for years ( I blame John Myung!!). Any of you guys and gals play one? If so, what you got and how are you getting on with it?

Apologies if this sorta thread has happened before - I'm a newbie - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Regards
Rob :headbang:

Last month I picked up one (sr1006) also. The music store near me had some prototype models so the wood Type is different that the standard. Or at least that was there reason to charge more for it, But it was the only one in stock near me so I went for it. I like everything about it so far. I had always played 4 string then I quit playing bass for a few years. Then a friend let me use his 5 string and it got me to thinking about 6. The extra strings open alot of new doors for scales, chords and so forth.
I found this 6 string site to be really helpfull.
http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/sixstringbass/index.html

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I guess I should rephrase myself.

Extended range basses are intended for people making a career as bass players. SOLO bass players. If the main focus of the music is the bass, I say why not get a bass with 6+ strings?

And as far as Geddy Lee goes, I say he is the god of 4-string basses.
Wha' 'bout John Myung?

The Schecter Stiletto is good, but it licks the proverbial balls of this:
Spector Legend 6

My bassist just ordered it today, in that finish. And when he gets it, since I helped him earn it, I'm gonna be allowed to play it within the first week of his getting it. :D

^ I can visualize the situation already: you carefully playing the bass while the bassist is biting his tongue while looking over your shoulder. My precioussss.

1by4by9 said:
^ I can visualize the situation already: you carefully playing the bass while the bassist is biting his tongue while looking over your shoulder. My precioussss.

hehehe I think I'd be the same in that situation. 'Tis a sexy beast and that's fo' sho'!