Would a 7 string perform better in lower tunings than a 6...

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
...even if the scale is the same? Right now I'm playing an Ibanez 6 string with a 25,5 inch scale in A standard. Works alright, but it does feel like it's a little lower then the guitar can actually handle.

So I had my eye on a 7 string, figuring it'd be easier to just tune one of those down one step, but if the scale lenght is the same (25,5) would it make any difference? If so, why?

Maybe you should go for a 6-string guitar with longer scale. I'm currently waiting for a Ibanez RGD 6 string. Works really well for low tunings.

But overall there would probably not be a noticeable difference between 6 and 7. Though the FEEL will be totally different with a wider neck etc...

Yeah, I have been looking into various baritone models/extended scale gits but I haven't even come close to finding a guitar that I like. Trying to find an Explorer/V/Warrior style guitar with an extended scale and no Floyd = trying to shit with your dick.

No, 7 string guitars are not optimized for lower tuned strings despite what manufacturers may claim. The low B of a 7 string at a 25.5 inch scale will be the same as a 6 string with a low B at a 25.5 inch scale length.
7 strings are made for more range.
If you do not need that extra range, there is no need to buy one.
A at 25.5 inches should be fine, but if you feel it's not enough, perhaps check out Ibanez's new line of 26.5 inch scale guitars

27'' scale 7 string guitar would manage lower tunings in a better way.

If you're looking for 6s guitars, look for baritones or the new Ibanez mentioned above.