Need a 7 string

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
The band i've joined use 7 string guitars, the one i've got isn't really up to the task so i'm going to need a new one.

My requirements are:
thin neck profile: i love my classic necks for bluesy 6 string guitars, but not for a 7-string shred machine

tight note definition: i'm used to playing in C# standard and i'm finding it hard to get the same definition down the extra tone

fixed bridge: i'm fed up with floyd roses, more trouble than they're worth

decent scale length: see 2nd point, my current 7 string is a 25.5" and it's simply not enough

Possibly fanned fret/variable scale: i quite like the idea, although i've never tried one. I've been looking at this: http://www.rondomusic.com/product4087.html

Budget: could be anything from a £350 amazing bargain to a really quite high end guitar, value for money is more important than actual price.

So......what do you recommend?

edit: i've never been very convinced by most ibanez's, they feel a bit "toy-like" to me. I love ESPs however, from the cheapest LTD to the most expensive real deal, i've liked every single one i've played. Just to perhaps give a clue as to my tastes, i haven't ruled out an ibanez being the best choice

edit2: the style of music is progressive blackened death metal, that sounds kinda pretentious but it's the best description i think.

Agiles are some of the best bargains to be had atm. Only problem would be shipping. But if that's not a concern, then you can't go wrong with one of them.

You also might want to look in an Ibanez as well.

Schecter makes some nice 7s too, but whatever you do don't buy an Indonesian made one. They stink. Stick to the Hellraiser quality stuff and you'll be ok.

The thing with the agile's (not the multiscale ones) is the large distance from the bridge to the bridge pickup, I'm not sure how much difference it would make in practice but in theory it's quite significant.

ok i think i just fell in love with that RAN crusher. DO WANT!

Pity about the waiting time, maybe i'll just put my order in there and get some new pickups for my current 7 string to keep it satisfactory for now

Any reason not to get a RAN? It looks like a great price for a great guitar

Also, any recommendations for a 7-string pickup? preferably something i can drop in to a standard passive routing. (and no i'm not gonna stump up for a lundgren m7)

Bare Knuckles.

I know some people here aren't all that impressed with them, but I think they are very good pups myself.

DV016_Jpg_Large_519787.001_black_R2.jpg

I just purchased one of these.... It's great in the studio. Sounds freakin' huge. However, replacing the pickups might be a good idea for live, as they probably feedback terribly.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg7321-7-string-electric-guitar/519787000001000

I tried a 7321 out at a local guitar shop and was not favorably impressed. The neck was nice, but the rest of the guitar felt kind of "cheap."

Would probably make more sense for the OP to swap pups on his current 7 and go for that Ran rather than spending on a "stop gap" guitar.