Any Bands You've Given Up On?

aqnimal

Aug 15, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Are there any bands that you once liked, but deteriorated or sold out to the point where you've given up hope for? At this point, I've really only given up on Metallica, although I'll always love their pre-1991 material, and Def Leppard, who totally went to shit after "Pyromania".

Fuck...where to start?

Probably with Paradise Lost. For a band with an an amazing first four albums, they don't half sucketh that ass.

Amorphis since Elegy
Burzum since Dauði Baldrs
Cannibal Corpse since the leaving of Barnes
In Flames since Soundtrack to Your Escape and for good since Come Clarity
Metallica since Load
Paradise Lost since Draconian Times
The Gathering since Almost a Dance (hehehe at least for me they are a one album wonder)

The Hubster said:
Opeth.

Ghost Reveries is the biggest fucking joke of 2005.

Hmmm so you liked Damnation better ?

For me Ghost Reveries is a glorious return to their old greatness - i hated Damnation for its lack of balls and no DM growl - for me Damnation was the end of Opeth and then a very pleasant surprise when i first heard Ghost Of Perdition on the radio.

Mutant said:
Hmmm so you liked Damnation better ?

For me Ghost Reveries is a glorious return to their old greatness - i hated Damnation for its lack of balls and no DM growl - for me Damnation was the end of Opeth and then a very pleasant surprise when i first heard Ghost Of Perdition on the radio.

this post.....this fucking post......lol

Entombed (first two albums ruled, Wolverine Blues and Morning Star were ok, everything else sucks)
Amorphis (I only like the first two)
Sepultura (they should have called it quits after Arise)
Megadeth (though Rust in Peace and Peace Sells are their only albums I actually like)
Slayer (Divine Intervention was their last good album)
Darkthrone (I don't like anything from Plaguewielder onwards)

Spectacular Views said:
this post.....this fucking post......lol

Hehehe yes i know it's cool to hate Opeth. ;) :D
But i like what i like and don't care if i'm cool or not - i'm the only one metalhead in my neighborhood so (at least if it comes to music) i'm already uncool to all my hiphop and techno listening friends. :puke:

aqnimal said:
Are there any bands that you once liked, but deteriorated or sold out to the point where you've given up hope for? At this point, I've really only given up on Metallica, although I'll always love their pre-1991 material, and Def Leppard, who totally went to shit after "Pyromania".

Every band lost its fans at one point of another. There are exceptions though; either because the style doesn't change (yet some fans will grow tired and leave) or because, while the music changes drastically, the spirit of the band and the quality are still present.

I've given up on countless bands, the most recent ones are :

Opeth (Ghost Reveries came on the top of the disappointment pile that has been rising since Blackwater Park, although I discovered the band at Blackwtar Park release, but with Still Life)

Enslaved (not a big fan of theirs, I like Monumension and Below the lights, the last two lack the asperity I liked and it's a bit of a freewheel move , without having sold out or anything)

Cult of Luna (Don't like their new one nor the evolution they're taking)

Isis (I don't if I've definitely given up on them but In the Absence of Truth is mediocre past 2 tracks, and I'm one the greatest Oceanic and Panopticon fan you'll ever see)

Dornenreich (Hexenwind was a joke come on !)

Arcturus (Up to La masquerade they're class after it's a steady decline, SS being shit)

No bands I've quoted have sold out btw, they just took a bad turn to me.

Slayer
Paradise Lost(after Draconian Times). I have not heard a tremendous ammount so maybe one day will click. It's still very different.
In Flames(after Clayman)
Soilwork
Sepultura(should have quit after arise)
Metallica

I might be giving up on Morbid Angel if the new one if not really good.

Opeth sound much better now than they use too. Mikael's cleans are better, musically more diverse and better. I like all opeth regardless.