any body consider some of deaths stuff is techish?

Yeah, sure. Human and onwards are tech"ish" I suppose. The drums are highly technical. In fact, latter-day (and by extension, Control Denied) are very difficult to categorize... it's not exactly death metal either... progressive semi-technical thrash maybe? In any case, it's very very good, I think hehe.

too busy labeling
i suppose thats the only way western culture can feel in control.

Taedium Vitae said:
Yeah, sure. Human and onwards are tech"ish" I suppose. The drums are highly technical. In fact, latter-day (and by extension, Control Denied) are very difficult to categorize... it's not exactly death metal either... progressive semi-technical thrash maybe? In any case, it's very very good, I think hehe.

Get over your imbecilic Internet grudge, boy. I'm not a fan of categorizing things into genres either (but sometimes it's a necessary evil), which I've said many times on this forum, if you knew how to read.

What a question... of course yes!
From, say, "Human" and onwards (like Taedium Vitae already said), Death had always been [defining?] technical death metal.

"Individual Thought Patterns" is a masterpiece and my favourite Death album.

Yes, I would classify a lot of Death's later work and both Control Denied albums (the later of which has still not been formally released) as technical metal for sure. This change seemed to run hand-in-hand with Chuck's decision to move away from the previously typical gore/zombie lyrics.

In my opinion, 'Human' is an album that falls somewhere between his gory lyrics stage and his life lyrics stage. It is probably my favourite album, as it features Paul Masvidal on guitar and Sean Reinert on drums - two of my favourite musicians.

'Individual Thought Patterns' I feel is their most technical album though. Gene Hoglan accomplishes some amazing things on the drum kit throughout this album, and Steve DiGiorgio's plays a fretless bass, which is relatively unheard of in the Death Metal Genre.

'The Sound Of Perseverance' has a technical feel to it due to Richard Christy's drumming style. There is experimentation with time signature changes and playing over the bar line, which are characteristics associated with technical/progressive music.