Any clips of the Engl E570 preamp?

Deathell

Mar 27, 2010
I'm really diggin it. Its probably the heaviest and tightest preamp I've heard so far but also can be versatile for other applications. I'm quite sold on Goddamn's clips and have seen his youtube vids and a couple of others but would like to hear more. So, does anybody else have this preamp and have done clips with it? I'd like to hear any sort of songs or samples done with it.

Yes, I know Severed Savior's guitarist uses it for live setups but I wasn't able to find any clips of it at all now and I don't think he used it in his productions. Probably just the old Digitech preamp and the new Axe-FX for their latest material. I knew he had made some clips of it on rocksolidamps.com but that nice website disappeared a long time ago :erk:
So if anybody who had downloaded clips of this thing before it went down, could you please upload it?

I play technical/brutal death in the realms of Decrepit Birth, Severed Savior, Spawn of Possession, Nile, Abysmal Torment, etc. Unfortunately, I can't go the head and cab route at this moment because from the place I live at, it would not be sensible. I'm just going to be using impulses and sims while I'm still living here. Good things I've read about is that its even sicker (gainier?) than the SE head, can anyone chime in on that too?

Mike (guitar player for Severed Savior) used it for a Suffocation cover he recorded
once (had it on his myspace for a long time, search for Mike Gilbert, not sure if it's still up)
sounded very nice (and he just used the headphone out).
I played that preamp a few times, it's very nice for that kind of stuff, once in a studio through
an Engl poweramp into a Mesa cab with my Charvel (equipped with active Seymour Duncans)
and it sounded very good for technical stuff, very transparent and clear.

Matt from Decrepit Birth uses an SE head afaik and I think they're very similar if you play
the preamp through an Engl poweramp (he recorded their last album with it imho).
Necrophagist are using the SE now, too, so that seems to be a good route for this
kind of stuff.

I've had no luck finding that cover song of Suffocation that Mike did yet.
Its not on Severed Savior's myspace anymore either. I'll keep looking though.

Thats one hell of a setup you played in the studio, could you please tell me about the M.L.P. (Mega Low Punch) button on this preamp? How does it really sound when activated? Does it have a low thudding punch/grind comparable to that of the Powerball or the Savage? Though I wonder if its even needed to acquire such low end with the E570 for tech death applications. Aside from the raw power, you mentioned that it was very transparent and clear, thats exactly what I look for. Just like Spawn of Possession's guitar tone but I feel its lacking raw power, perhaps the E570 will be able to give me both?

Another big question, which poweramp makes the E570 sicker? The VHT 2:50:2 or Engl's 2:50? I read in SMN that he uses a VHT 2:50:2 with it before and I've been dying to know how it actually sounds but youtube audio quality never does anything justice. Apart from that, the engl poweramp you've tried with it would probably sound similar like an SE head I presume.

Anyways, I just have Seymour Duncan passive pickups (JB and SH1) on my LTD DV8-R guitar. It just sounds more organic for this type of stuff, I love what Matt got out of these pickups on the Diminishing Between Worlds album (if I'm correct). Well, maybe I'll try SD's Blackout Metal later on after I get settled with this preamp. My setup would probably be around this;

V-Pick Snake pointed guitar pick (4.10mm thick)-> SD Blackout Metal pickups-> Engl E570 -> Engl poweramp or VHT 2:50:2 -> Engl XXL or Mesa oversized cab.

Sounds too overkill?

Hi Ola, I knew u had a nice tone with it. I've also took the liberty to get your mesa and savage impulses you've once posted here. :heh:, thanks a bunch.
Anymore settings or kickass impulses you've used with it? Please let me know.

I'm not much of a recording wiz at the moment but I'll surely give it a go when I do buy this preamp. :headbang:

damn dropbox servers. I'll reupload as soon as they fireup again.

No need to reupload, I've checked back with it. Listening to it now, this is extremely sickening :headbang::headbang::headbang: THANKS!!

Could you tell me what impulses you've used it with?
So this is coming direct from line output of the E570 straight into your audio interface right? Have you applied anything on your signal chain (EQ/comp/etc?), double or quad tracked? If this is the raw shit you got out of it, then it pwns very hard (and this is just Channel 1 lead? ..omfg). If you've got time or have any other samples, can you please do a quick run down of all the channels with contour or M.L.P. engaged/disengaged? It'll be very cool to hear some variety of brutal sounds this thing is capable of and such. :kickass:

No need to reupload, I've checked back with it. Listening to it now, this is extremely sickening :headbang::headbang::headbang: THANKS!!

Could you tell me what impulses you've used it with?
So this is coming direct from line output of the E570 straight into your audio interface right? Have you applied anything on your signal chain (EQ/comp/etc?), double or quad tracked? If this is the raw shit you got out of it, then it pwns very hard (and this is just Channel 1 lead? ..omfg). If you've got time or have any other samples, can you please do a quick run down of all the channels with contour or M.L.P. engaged/disengaged? It'll be very cool to hear some variety of brutal sounds this thing is capable of and such. :kickass:

Sorry bad news :( I used this as a eq & preamp after 570.
setup.jpg
. I dont have time to record more for now but I 'l give you direct answers after using 570 for 2 years.
setup.jpg

- Mlp and contour buttons are useless. (really useless. Contour is better on 530 )
_Channel lead 1 is superior to lead 2 in tonal quality especially if you are searching more sterile but different sounds.
_ Build quality & signal path is great but because of this you can call this a bit sterile.
-570 doesnt like too clean and crunchy poweramps. I have best luck with mesa boogie 2 one hundred. Vht 2 :50 is the second best with it. Ah Peavey 6505 's power works very well with it too.

Does it deserves it money ? A big Yesss .It is still the best sounding preamp I have ever played with.You have to have some abilities to fine tune it.But İf you only care about teh lead sound ,e530 has very usable sounds with worse build quality too. ( Transformer voice blah blah)

Wonderful setup you have there. Thanks for the picture.
So you mean you're using the E570 into another preamp (homemade? kinda looks like a stompbox with tube) and then to your audio interface? Interesting way of getting this awesome tone though.

So what makes you like the mesa 2:100 over the vht 2:50? Which one gives it a tighter, harder crushing tone?

Wonderful setup you have there. Thanks for the picture.
So you mean you're using the E570 into another preamp (homemade? kinda looks like a stompbox with tube) and then to your audio interface? Interesting way of getting this awesome tone though.

So what makes you like the mesa 2:100 over the vht 2:50? Which one gives it a tighter, harder crushing tone?

Yes man a more line tube eq than a preamp but still basicly a preamp . My design. I feel it gives more poweramp compression,saturation and feel when using impulses. I prefer 6l6 sounding tubes. Thats the main reason. Tighter feel vht but crushing feel from mesa :) Ah We are lucky I found another record without using my designed preamp. Thats the direct record to soundcard.But I dont remember İf I used hipass or anything. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3570156/audiofire44.mp3

Dude, sorry to hijack but how's that Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp sound? I've been itching at trying to grab one if it can slay high gain mark series. I assumed it could but what do you think about it for rhythm stuff?

I'm really glad to have listened to this second clip. I think its sounding pretty good on its own but your line tube eq made it sound better, with a more compressed sort of tone, either way I focking luv it.
:kickass:

So I guess with the poweramp choices I can't go wrong with either of them. In my country there is no VHT/Fryette dealer that I know of so I guess I'll better stick to Engl's or try out the mesa to save my wallet, which brings to another question, how does the E570 sound with mesa 2:100 compared to engl's own poweramp? Which was tighter/crushing? Why did you prefer over it?

Rob, Mesa is the creamiest of my preamps on hi gain area. It reminds me the bogner exctacy's preamp a lot. Though I prefer engl I dont think to sell mesa studio. You can never regret it buy it. But not the same ideas with recto recording pre. I cloned a rectifier pre and I hated it.(thats why people uses boosters with recto but still love them because of their power section) Have one night with recto's pre but marry with recto's power.:)

Deathell I never owned a engl poweramp because I owned several engls and hated their powersections. The philosopy behind preamp is not again succesfull behind their powersections. (Too good means too sterile :) And two plus=minus.
Mesa reacts with the volume changes and I love this. BUt Once upon a time I loved a thunder .) Engl 840 power with 5881 may worth a try.