Any closet old school Country fans?

Oh yes. George Jones and Death metal. Sounds like a weird mixture of tastes but I love most country until about the 2000s when it just became twangy pop.

I'm highly impressed everyone, good to hear. The classic country stuff is pretty magical. I've been listening to that station in the original post for about 2 weeks now and they play a really good selection of 50s through 90s, including some great Bluegrass.

When I used to travel down to ProgPower USA every year I would go right through the area where this station broadcasts from in Southern Virginia (Galax, Va). I would purposely stop at the exit off route 77 in Fancy Gap, Va about 5-10 miles outside of Galax. It had this hole in the wall BBQ stand with an old Andy Griffith looking police car. Actually, I just lookd it up, and it's called Mayberry Station Grill & Mrkt - too cool :).

4404ff048ed3a0b124a0e3e9f574338a.jpg

b0f102667cfc39b05982a8d4e463a0dc.jpg

Reactions: suckerleaf
She sounds like a male folk singer after the slow down haha. The slow tempo really suits it though, I like it. I am a fan of sad old country/folk songs so I actually think this sounds better musically, although it would have to be re-recorded properly to shine.

It's unrelated as hell but that made me want to listen to Simon and Garfunkle - Sound of Silence (acoustic version).

I know a lot of people rail on country, and young people in particular seem to have an overblown dislike towards it, but there are some seriously deep and well written songs and albums to be found. Especially if you go back further than the 90's.

Yes but when it comes to classic country I'm totally out of the closet. I love Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Cash, Jones, and many more.

There's newer stuff out there that's good too. Unfortunately it ain't on the radio. Sturgill Simpson, Hellbound Glory, Cody Jinks, Scott H. Biram just to name a few.

Reactions: CiG
Hank Jr, Alabama, Vince Gill, Garth, Brooks and Dunn, to name a few.

My parents were diverse when I was growing up, anything from Zeppelin to Queen to Meatloaf to Foreigner and then over to late 70's country through early 90's country. Liked some of it, loved some it, hated a lot of it. Country music has changed so much over the years, at least the newer stuff. Practically Pop music, nothing inspiring to me but thats just my opinion...

Reactions: MetalAges and CiG
I agree. Country really has evolved into one of the worst genres of all time, which is crazy because from the 1930's up until the late 1970's it's one of my favourites. America murdered Country.

Reactions: MetalAges