george jones
CDB
dale watson
jerry jeff walker
johnny paycheck
roger alan wade
wayne hancock
and some others..... but im to lazy to type them all

Hank III is great, especially since he is finally getting to play his own music. The Johnny Cash American Recordings are some of the best records ever made of any genre IMO.

Not a big fan of country. But I could imagine myself being a huge country fan when I'm like 25. It's probably the biggest umbrella of largely guitar-based music that I've yet to break into.

I like some Johnny Cash, a little bit of Hank Williams. But some of my all-time favorite rock music is extremely country-esque and totally based on country music, such as Harvest by Neil Young, Mudcrutch, and Exile on Mainstreet by The Rolling Stones. If anybody happens to know some country artists who are rockish like that (but not in a cliche' way, in the way that the above albums are), feel free to mention them.

I was into country(radio)from the mid to late 90's. That was a period of time when guitarists on rock radio seemed to be anti guitar technique and it seemed to me as far as radio was concerned if I wanted to hear good guitar playing and song writing while driving down the road I needed to tune into counrty radio. It also represented a time in my life when everything was picture perfect. So now I can stand to listen to country.

STK - I can only answer your question with old stuff that is more rock with a down home feel that you may already have but I have always enjoyed music such as Little Feat, Head East - Flat as a Pancake(album), 2 great songs by Firefall - Mexico and Cinderella. Kind of the reverse of what you were refering too.

I was into country(radio)from the mid to late 90's. That was a period of time when guitarists on rock radio seemed to be anti guitar technique and it seemed to me as far as radio was concerned if I wanted to hear good guitar playing and song writing while driving down the road I needed to tune into counrty radio. It also represented a time in my life when everything was picture perfect. So now I can stand to listen to country.

STK - I can only answer your question with old stuff that is more rock with a down home feel that you may already have but I have always enjoyed music such as Little Feat, Head East - Flat as a Pancake(album), 2 great songs by Firefall - Mexico and Cinderella. Kind of the reverse of what you were refering too.

Sounds awesome, thanks man! I do like some Little Feat and Head East but I've only had a cursory exposure so far.

hey man listen to Hank III. if ur more into rock kinda stuff i dont know how much u will be into his country music but he has a band called assjack that is really good

Sounds awesome, thanks man! I do like some Little Feat and Head East but I've only had a cursory exposure so far.

There were quite a few bands like that in the 70's but damned if I can remember them all. I actually wasnt into them then. They were just a bit different then the southern rock bands. Head East was from Illinois and Firefall Denver, so they were like the mid west country rock sound. The Band was another, there was a band called Hudson Ford but I forget what they sounded like... been a long long time. Some band Neils Lofgren was in was good too. Flat as a Panckake is excellent IMO, look for a song called "Brother Jacob". Someone even had the "Crazy Horse" album that Neil Young was on.

I did start to explore the country scene somewhat and I know that when I find the right artists I will love it but right now I only listen to a handful of country muscicians. But I am looking forward to exploring more. When I find more of the heavy acoustic based, melancholy feeling, country I know I'll like it.

I don't care much for anything but Johnny Cash and Neil Young. My brother plays in a country band though (www.myspace.com/willyclayband), and they're about to release their second studio album soon. I can't judge their quality 'cause I'm biased.

hey man listen to Hank III. if ur more into rock kinda stuff i dont know how much u will be into his country music but he has a band called assjack that is really good

I actually think assjack sucks. His country stuff is cool because it is original but still captures the essence of traditional country. Assjack is just a rip-off of III's favorite bands.