any creativity left ?

theres also that band Unexpect thats been making their rounds rather regularly over the last year or so. They play "avant garde" metal. The stuff is pretty hit or miss with me, sometimes I think they stumble upon some good melodic ideas, other times they come off as sounding weird just for the sake of sounding weird. Either way, their lead singer is pretty hot.

http://www.myspace.com/unexpect

theres also that band Unexpect thats been making their rounds rather regularly over the last year or so. They play "avant garde" metal. The stuff is pretty hit or miss with me, sometimes I think they stumble upon some good melodic ideas, other times they come off as sounding weird just for the sake of sounding weird. Either way, their lead singer is pretty hot.

You could check out !T.O.O.H.! too, they're more or less along the same lines, if not even more bizarre than Unexpect.

In response to the thread title:

Yes, definately. Ayreon would be my favourite example of astounding creativity... Actually also Arsis aswell.

It's possible to be creative nowadays, but very difficult. Almost everything has been done to death. You can probably put every song written in the past 20 years on a dart board, and throw a dart; no matter what song you hit, there's probably at least ONE part in it that has something that's been done already multiple times.

I can appreaciate this band, I have a feeling theres a learning curve because I have no idea what they are doing..... a bit chaotic at times,,,, but very interesting

I pretty much hate unexpect. Perfect example of bands doing weird shit just for the sake of writing weird shit, and thus the point that originality does not equal good.

The sound clips on their myspace is the only thing I have ever heard from them, but I get the same feeling. I get the same feeling from Sleepytime Guerrilla Museum. Original in some sense, shitty in another.

I pretty much hate unexpect. Perfect example of bands doing weird shit just for the sake of writing weird shit, and thus the point that originality does not equal good.

yeah, there is alot of chaos in there and not totally my thing, but at the same time it is creative artistic expression, so I would give them more credit than just trying to be bazaar. One of my old strong holds had some similiar off the wall things they did.... Crack the Sky.... but more compliant musically, yet primitive by comparision and real old school, they had lots of Beatles influence but much better. The Beatles were a bit off the wall at one point. Not a fan of them either but Crack the Sky was aweome in the time of their early days.... for the time period... mid-late 70's.