Any German Metal bands that actually sing "Auf Deutsch"?

If you mean real metal and not necessarily stuff like Rammstein or the medieval-tinged Subway To Sally, In Extremo, you should probably try to find some of the old Eastern German acts. The only actual cd I know of though is by Formel 1 called "Live in Stahlwerk", released by High Vaultage if I remember right. I believe they sang in German - also covering international metal songs this way, like Maiden's "Hallowed be thy Name".

Where does your knack for our harsh tongue come from?

yeah i didnt mean rammstein, in extremo,etc cause ive already got that stuff and i likes it :D

as for "my knack"

well my heritage is german and im also minoring in it in university...

Nice.

Some more curious things you probably know are Sodom's German songs, and I recently got a promo from Polish thrashers The No-Mads who have a couple of songs sung in German.

There has been a Prog-band called Vernissage with one album called "Intensiv" out on AFM records in the 90s with a lot of German singing mixed with English - a little like Psychotic Waltz. The same genre is covered by Lanfears second album "Zero Poems" which was self released and has an odd mix of metal styles and languages.

In black metal, you will find the most bands that sing in German, also this whole viking/heathen-metal stuff, which I am not very fond of personally, but still: it's in German.

And of course Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, who run under a different name in the US, as far as I know...

nope theyre still known as Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, as far as i know. at least that's what i found them filed under...

but who knows? it wouldn't surprise to see "The Riders of Apocalypse" or some variation in a store somewhere.

im pretty much a sucker for any german "rock"; my teacher's assistant tried to get me to like her pop but uhh... no thanks

and ill skip on the Herbert Grönemeyer too...

eh so-so; they have songs i like more than others.

i kinda like WiZo too...

I've been wondering about this sort of thing myself. I've tried to find German language online radio stations, but so far, it's all been poppy-techno stuff that makes me cringe.

I took German years ago, forgot essentially all of it and am getting back into the learning/re-learning right now. Having some good stuff to listen to would make it all the better for me, but it seems I can find Finnish and Estonian easier than I can German...?!

Anyway, nice to know I'm not the only one going through this same thing.

The radio situation in germany is pretty bad. We've never had that college radio culture you have in the US in Germany. It is all pretty much mainstream, and if there is more unusual stuff, it is put into one hour or two past midnight once a week or something like that.

i listened to one mainstream german radio station that i found online... then i started hearing "our" very lame radio songs so i stopped listening... still it was funny to hear advertisements auf deutsch one second and then hear something like nickelback the next.

oh well; guess you all are used to it... technically we over on this side of the ocean should be as well i guess, because of the spanish language

There were talks from German musicians who are bitter because they are not covered by the media about establishing a "German quota" on the radio, meaning that the government should grant a certain amount of music sung in German on the radio because of the "cultural imperialism" of English. That's bollocks as well.

There's either good or bad music, notwithstanding the language. If there's a lack of German music, this has something to do with the fact that some of it is not fit for international standards.

I read this article a bit ago: http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=13276547&pageNumber=0 About there being a bit of resistance to the universal acceptance of English. I can understand the perspectives presented.

I'm of two minds about it, I guess. It's all well and good that I get to understand the lyrics to many songs put out by musicians who are not native English speakers and such, and I also understand that it's a language that a good portion of the world is at least familiar with, if not fluent. So, it has an appeal to those wanting to reach the most listeners possible, BUT...

When I want to listen to the music of another country, something to give a little more perspective on the culture and language, I really don't want to hear English. Even if it's a language I haven't a clue at comprehending, I'd like to hear that language. I have various languages in my CD collection, from Punjabi to Japanese. Those same CDs wouldn't be as interesting to me in English.

Perhaps I'm just odd. Okay, well, I AM odd, but...yeah.

What about German folk metal? Might that provide something to search for and try? I don't know that I've looked much in that direction. Hm.

German folk metal: yes, yes! the first thing is really Subway To Sally, the strongest stuff being from "Foppt den Dämon" to "Hochzeit". Among all these folkies, they are probably the most outstanding musicians. The most progressive Album is probably "Bannkreis", and their lyrics try to be ambitious, no throwaway stuff about drinking, etc.

Other stuff bordering on that direction is Inchtabotakables (not much text, though). After Subway, though, there's a big gap in quality to Corvus Corax, In Extremo, Schandmaul,...

the predecessors of that sound are probably from earlier decades or the Eighties, like Hölderlins Traum and Ougenweide. Metal is less present there, of course.

Ah-hah! Okay, now I have something to pursue! Thank you for your recommendations. I'll start searching. Anything else you can think of would be appreciated, too.

Woo hoo!

Edited because I can't type yet this morning

i love in extremo. seriously.

i also like most of die neue deutsch härte bands...