Any love for new Rage CD?

SickBoy

Croatian Panzer division
Apr 9, 2004
Split, Croatia, Europe
www.myspace.com
Gotta say these guys are one of the most consistent bands quality wise, in spite of the frantic tempo they've set for themselves (until 10 years ago it was almost an album a year, now it's more like one in two years). It's not only the stellar playing, the songs are great, full of hooks and catchy choruses (Rage's characteristic) that are as great as ever... For this CD they've picked up a pace a bit and I welcome that decision! It's not as speedy as, say, "Trapped!" or "Missing link" but definitely a bit more aggressive than the last two outputs...
Wagner/Smolski are becoming Lennon/McCartney of metal hehe :headbang:

I cannot wait to see them live again, I've managed to catch them twice up to now and it was helluva show both times...

Just take a listen to the first track, if it doesn't floor you, give it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to the whole album a couple of times and sorry but I have no love for this record. It's not terribly bad but the Rage formula is wearing thin and they have not been able to come slightly close to the Soundchaser album, the best thing they put out so far. Smolski writes these great riffs just to have Peavy come in with a chorus that just sounds forced and in a major "happy" tonality that just clashes with me. The instrumental tracks are great which makes me wonder why doesn't Smolski realease another instrumental album...I just might pick that up:)

Soundchaser really is the best release that these two have put out together, but I really enjoyed the new CD, it grabbed me from the start. What I do miss is a little bit of their old aggression, but I guess that went down the drain along with Manni's departure...
Robbie, you claim their "formula is getting thin", but I think they've got much more to wear out yet and still release stuff of high quality songwriting. ;)

It's a really good album. The Smolski/Wagner formula was getting thin on the previous two albums but this is top quality Rage again, right there with Unity and Soundchaser.

There's a couple of fillers like on every Rage album but overall it's a solid album. Smolski's "suites" haven't been all that terrific in the past IMO but this Empty Hollow thing really works as the centerpiece of the album.

As mentioned, a kickass live band too. Had the pleasure of seeing them twice last summer on festivals, would love the see a headlining show too someday.

Rage is a band I've tried to get into and just never could. However, I really dig that youtube track posted above. I'll likely be spinning it on next week's show.

One of these days I'll check out Soundchaser.

Rage is a band I've tried to get into and just never could.

I'm really curios to the reason why, I mean what put you off?

However, I really dig that youtube track posted above. I'll likely be spinning it on next week's show.

One of these days I'll check out Soundchaser.

Geez, I'd like to be in your skin - to be discovering their vast discography right now :D

Geez, I'd like to be in your skin - to be discovering their vast discography right now :D

Ha! I was in that skin just a few short years ago. I discovered them accidentally after downloading a few songs off of Soundchaser back in 04. I liked what I heard but didn't pursue until a couple years later. Since then I've gobbled up most of their catalogue and got endless hours of enjoyment out of it.

I don't have this new one yet, but am looking forward to hearing it. I absolutely love Soundchaser and Unity, their two best IMO. Speak of the Dead had it's moments, but was a bit hit and miss for me. Hopefully this one will be back to Soundchaser quality!

I've got the From the Cradle to the Stage DVD concert, and that one gets spun quite frequently as it's a killer show. Unfortunately it's filmed in that quick-flash MTV style so I have a hard time sitting through the whole thing without being teased by epileptic seizures.

I don't have this new one yet, but am looking forward to hearing it. I absolutely love Soundchaser and Unity, their two best IMO. Speak of the Dead had it's moments, but was a bit hit and miss for me. Hopefully this one will be back to Soundchaser quality!

Well, I think that SOTD is their low-point as far as Smolski era goes... But Carved In Stone definitely raised the bar, and the new one did that as well...