New Paradise Lost album... any interest?

Caveman Ninja

It's a carnival... of monsters!
Sep 11, 2008
Dolph Lundgren's Secret Island
Just got it... I've always been a PL fan, but I'm not sure I like where they've gone on this one. Some songs are good, but some are really tired. And the production is pretty horrible, even though it's the first time they've used a 'name' producer for ages... The title track is brilliant though.

Anyone else here like Paradise Lost?

I like then, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to this new one.

I like PL ninja! I have the Icon, Draconian and One Second albums and I also dug their last album, In Requiem. I'll still check this one out and see where they have gone this time. :loco:

If you like them I'd really reccomend the Self-Titled album which came out before In Requiem... it might even be my favourite one...

Glad there are other fans here... they're quite a small band nowadays, at least in the UK. I will have to wait and see how the dust settles with the new record...

I only have "Draconian Times" and doesn't drives crazy precisely. Some songs like 'Once Solemn' and 'Jaded' pop-up in my mind right now, but overall is an album I seldom check.

The first song on Draconian Times "Enchantment" is probably my favourite PL song... they just create a beautiful atmosphere of melancolic gloom better than any other band... I love them (everything post-Shades of God anyway), and they've got better as they got older if you ask me...

The first song on Draconian Times "Enchantment" is probably my favourite PL song... they just create a beautiful atmosphere of melancolic gloom better than any other band... I love them (everything post-Shades of God anyway), and they've got better as they got older if you ask me...

Probably you're right. I have to re check the album (the problem of collecting too much stuff). I don't mind atmospheric gloom, basically that's why I like doom metal. But they never sound quite doom to me on that album either. I'll come back to you after proper listening :D

No, I would never call them a doom band... "gloom" should be a genre :lol: Really they started heavy then every album got light and light and more and more synthy up until host where they started going the exact opposite way again, and this new one continues the trend... sort of like a pyramid of heaviness with the debut at the bottom and Host at the top (it sounds like Depeche Mode or something! But still has a few good tracks). Yet they always manage to sound unique and like themselves...

(it sounds like Depeche Mode or something!

That's the kind of statement that makes me run in the opposite way of any band :lol:

I know PL was never a proper doom band, but they are tagged as part of the original doom-death sub genre according to this site: http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/search.php?name=paradise+lost.

Is like the last Black Cucifixion album "Faustian Dreams", they started as a black band and then they change to this dark atmospheric sound which if is not properly doom gets close to it. My point is that I like "Draconian Times" for the same reason but I'm not that much into dark/gloom to get a lot of albums or bands, while I do that with proper doom bands.

Do you get me? Am I making sense? Sometimes writing is confusing instead of talking for a discussion (specially when English is not your native language :loco:).

I only have "Draconian Times" and doesn't drives crazy precisely. Some songs like 'Once Solemn' and 'Jaded' pop-up in my mind right now, but overall is an album I seldom check.
How am I not surprised? :lol:

Do you get me? Am I making sense? Sometimes writing is confusing instead of talking for a discussion (specially when English is not your native language :loco:).
:lol:

Anyways in terms of doom or doom/death etc. I love My Dying Bride... i do need to explore the Doom genre better though...

Excellent band.
Their 1992-1997 output (Shades of God, Icon, Draconian Times, One Second) is immense....few bands were as good during that time.

Their songwriting, however, seemed to diminish into the 2000s....they lost the plot somewhat. They wanted to be Depeche Mode but couldn't (or wouldn't?) pull it off. Depeche Mode, in their greatness, dwarfed PLost.

That changed with the In Requiem album.....a return to glory, to a degree. the vibe of the mid 90s returned.

To this day, I still regard "Icon" as one of the 90s top 10 masterpieces. :kickass::headbang:

I love My Dying Bride... i do need to explore the Doom genre better though...

If you like MDB, you should investiage a band named Isole. They clearly tap into that "beautiful" dark vibe that MDB portrays so well. All vocals are "clean" (in fact, they sound a lot like Opeth's Mikael Ackerfelft's clean vox).
They're a doom band band, for sure, but there is a bit of a positive, hopeful feel to their music, as well.

Anyways in terms of doom or doom/death etc. I love My Dying Bride... i do need to explore the Doom genre better though...

I had one MDB album, I was looking for a doom album to fill one of my tapes :lol:, and i needed quickly so I wnet to a local store. The guy played the album for me swearing that there was no grunts in it. It only have some cookie monster vocals at the end of the last song, is like 15 sec but feels like a millenia :heh:. Overall the album has enough atmosphere to be held next to my doom collection.

Many people I know (including Vicious Robbie) don't like doom. I love it, I think I like more then thrash even. We can start a doom thread (we had one long time ago), there are great bands to check upon. As a matter of fact this year two doom bands are on my top 15 albums: Candlemass and Count Raven (both from Sweden btw, that country is producing so much good metal lately :worship:).

If you like MDB, you should investiage a band named Isole. They clearly tap into that "beautiful" dark vibe that MDB portrays so well. All vocals are "clean" (in fact, they sound a lot like Opeth's Mikael Ackerfelft's clean vox).
They're a doom band band, for sure, but there is a bit of a positive, hopeful feel to their music, as well.
I might check them out when my financial situation gets better and i can start splurging on CD's again. But thing is i like MDB's combo of death/clean vocals though i also like there only clean vocal albums as well...