Any multi-effects pedal users?

I_Am_The_Fury

Feb 1, 2008
Switzerland/Colorado
Is anyone here a multi-effects pedal user, or just owns one?

I've been using a Vox Tonelab LE, which has been perfect for me. I've gotten some awesome tones out of it, but the big problem here is that it takes too long to switch from channel to channel. This is why I might be getting rid of it real soon, as I am going to be playing with my new band. The time it takes to switch from one channel to the other really screws things up because I almost continually play the entire time and there are lots of clean breaks that we go right into.

For any multi-effects pedal users.. do you have the same problem with whatever pedal you are using or own? I am basically looking for a pedal that will switch as fast as possible between channels.

Also, does anyone recommend any other pedals that they have found to work good?

The new Zoom pedals stated on the pakaging they had the quick patch change time in the world, and they sounded awesome for the money. Boss do the modulations better but their modelers suck big time and they cost way too much

not sure if it's the newest pedals Zoom has out now, I used to work in music retail and sold heaps of the Zoom stuff based off doing demos for customers, nobody ever came in specifically looking for one, and at the time they were a really good deal, I think they might have just been called G series

I own the Digitech RP500. Solid pedal. Sounds good to me.

By switching channels, I assume you mean changing the channel on the pedal? Like a patch? The RP500 does that instantly. You can have it where the 5 buttons change presets, or where they act as single effect "stompboxes".

When you have it changing presets, there are 5 presets per bank, and I don't even know how many banks.

Zoom G2 sucks. Actually fizzier than the notorious plastic units that preceded them.

I know this 'cos I ran a G2 in parallel with a 505ii one time, and there was this nasty abrasive shite in the tone. I thought "oh, that'll be the 505ii", so I muted it. Nope, the crap was still there. It went away when I muted the G2.

It's a broadband artifact, as well, it's not just fizzy treble -- it was still there when I LPF'd everything down to 1kHz and below. It's like a veil of static drawn over the whole signal. I found it more audible when the sound is in a mix, presumably 'cos it's not related to the musical frequencies and is very dynamic at any given frequency, so is less susceptible to masking.

And it's not the distortions causing it. The effect was still audible with the distortion module turned off.

I had two of them, and they both did it.

Fuck the G2, then. Other pedals in the G series might or might not suffer from this problem, I can't say. So try before you buy.

I own the Digitech RP500. Solid pedal. Sounds good to me..

I had one and really disliked it.

I use the Line 6 M13 and I love it. Depends on how you want to go to clean parts as far as switching. If you run OD through the M13 you can easily enough just click off, it also runs with a stompbox style.

Just pretty much switched to a GSP1101 as my live rig for everything. I also have an RP500, the engines are supposed to be the same. I can hear a slight difference, my hunch is that the GSP1101 is 1MOhm input impedance vs. the RP500's 500K.

Patch switching is instant, GSP1101 has spillover which is cool too. If you dial the tones from scratch and get the C48 beta from mustbebeta.com it rocks. The presets are junk.

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses.

If this guy buys my Tonelab LE in the next few days, it looks like I am going to be ordering a Zoom G9.2tt. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I remember owning and playing through a few different Digitech RP's. Those sounded incredibly nasty to me.

The only other multi-fx pedal I am seriously considering now is the POD X3 Live, but the Zoom is on sale right now.

If this guy buys my Tonelab LE in the next few days, it looks like I am going to be ordering a Zoom G9.2tt. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I remember owning and playing through a few different Digitech RP's. Those sounded incredibly nasty to me.

The only other multi-fx pedal I am seriously considering now is the POD X3 Live, but the Zoom is on sale right now.

You know, interestingly I have tried the POD's and Zoom's and Boss MFX, and they sounded all incredibly nasty to me :)

The Zoom's were pretty good, but not enough versatility between the different models. They all sounded like they were from the same vein with a different EQ and gain. Plus you couldn't bypass or change the tube level in the patches.

Now the old DIgitech RP's sounded like total junk, hands down.

Their latest series that is available today I think are much better. But you have to start at the RP500 range with the vacuum switches. The others (350,355, 250,255, etc.) won't have any high gain amp models.

Anyway all ears are different. With my RP350, I got a great tone using a virtual TS boosted 2102 model. Cut through live, a bit midrange heavy, chunky, and smooth. Got a lot of compliments on my tone since I would use it with an Powerblock for shared equipment shows and such. When I sold it, the guy demoing it was ok with the tone, but then edited it to a metal-zone patch, scooped all the mids, and loved it... paid me my asking price. Which was a little high expecting some haggling.

I generally think the Pod sounds better than most multi-fx. I just don't think they've really made a high-end product worthy of the cash yet. The M13 is close, but not quite.

If they did their take on the TC Electronics G-System and made it not cost a fucking grand... I'd buy it and flog all my analog effects.

ps: I dislike the clean sound of the TC stuff. I like the slightly coloured and dirty sound of the Line 6 stuff. That's why I don't already own a G-System.

I'd say get the Zoom G2 with usb output. You get a interface with it then, so you can use computer amp sims :D But if you want to perform live and gig with it, its also tough and made of metal.