Any tips on processing piano&keys? Clip included.

Soundlurker

Nov 19, 2005
Well, I haven't mixed any of these so I decided to make a short song myself to practice a little. The plugin I used probably isn't the best out there but it's pretty compact. Anyway, are the keys ok in this clip:
click here

I know it doesn't really help you much, but i love that mp3!

Right, my experience (i do a lot of melodic death metal and also have a band with a keyboard player (fast folky metal), so while no expert, i have some experience)
The question i must ask you... Do you want your piano to sound real or Synthy?
I.e, Real (adagio, sympony x) or synthy like Dimmu borgir.

I always start by Setting an EQ cut in the low frequencies so no piano sound conflicts with the bass or the kick.

With strings, a boost around 14khz gives a nice "air" to them.

I've also found, if dealing with instruments that have a wide dynamic range (piano, strings) etc. In a metal mix. Compress them to hell.

Actually it helps, it's always stimulating to see someone likes your music :)
Well, I guess I already did what you suggest, though the piano might have a little too much low end. As for the synth vs real, I would go for a sound with more variation than the one in my clip. Problem is, I'll probably need some better software (the one I used is Edirol HyperCanvas). I'm thinking about EastWest's stuff, I've heard some great demos.

BTW if there any vocals who like this mp3 I'm willing to make a song out of it. I'll be particularly happy if someone records some clean vocals :)