Any underground blackmetal fans here?

When producing BM bands, I enjoyed Watain, Craft (amazing !), or Funeral Mist

Who produced Craft?

I think FM's Salvation was not only the songs and the lyrical aspect, but the production itself was far more important and "dominant" than on most albums on my list.

Sworn to the Dark is a great album.:headbang: Songs and production. I especially like the way the vox sound on that album. Wouldn't mind knowing what guitar and bass rigs were used on it either.....

...my band has a lot of black metal sound in it. and we are definitely underground. :lol: So yes, big BM fan here. I listen to a ton of it. Averse Sefira at this moment.

TS9->5150 through a Mesa trad cab, miced with one SM57. Off axis I think. 4 guitar tracks in total. The bass was recorded with a Sansamp, I think with a TS9 in front. Vocals was a SM7, added some delay and a bit of overdrive. But Erik's voice does most of the work.

Averse Sefira, cool. Produced them too, hehe.

Hey man!

Good to see you on this forum!

Hahaha, i can see as to why it seems like a bit of a half assed compliment!
But i actually used it as a reference for another blackmetal band i produced ( Lugubre http://www.box.net/shared/c5fn3kbc0f ), i realy like the production alot man.
It was more in the sarcastic sense as in "for the useall bm productions its not even THAT bad" ;)

Hehe, yeah I figured. Lugubre yes, good stuff!

Who produced Craft?

I think FM's Salvation was not only the songs and the lyrical aspect, but the production itself was far more important and "dominant" than on most albums on my list.

As far as I know Craft recorded everything themselves in the rehearsal place. I was in touch with them about producing them but it didn't turn into anything and it probably would have been a bit boring since I'd mostly work as an engineer instead.

About Salvation, well...the way it sounds in the end was a bit of a mistake, but it seems like it worked anyway, hehe. You'll have to struggle to hear the bass for example. But it was an interesting production and I'm definitely not ashamed of it or anything. Just could have been better...

2448572912_20ed6685ee.jpg

I enjoy black metal, but it has to have a specific mood/feeling or otherwise great songs. Unfortunately there's hundreds of really poor copycat black metal bands who just repeat what has been done 15 years ago. Then every once in a while a great band pops out, such as Darkspace, which I discovered last summer. And their new album went right away to my Top 2 slot for 2008 albums. Such a beautiful harshness and cold feeling, that's how black metal should be.

TS9->5150 through a Mesa trad cab, miced with one SM57. Off axis I think. 4 guitar tracks in total. The bass was recorded with a Sansamp, I think with a TS9 in front. Vocals was a SM7, added some delay and a bit of overdrive. But Erik's voice does most of the work.

Averse Sefira, cool. Produced them too, hehe.

Wow. Big fan of all your work so far then! :kickass: Definitely going to check out the rest on the website that I haven't heard.

Advent Parrallax are a very good sounding album all around also.

You have any advice on getting good sounding black metal vocals? I have a very hard time getting the verb sounding good, and have never been able to add overdrive or distortion to the vox without it sounding too buzzy....

My band is recording our new one soon and I really want to improve the vocal sound on this one.

Hahahaha that one was real good! OT, not too much impresses me other than the classic sympho-black and folkish stuff (Emperor, old Satyricon, Summoning, Ulver, Borknagar). Though I love modern blackened DM (Zyklon and Behemoth especially).

Oh I almost forgot:
Another excellent Aussie up-and-coming BM act (with a violin!): http://www.myspace.com/neobliviscaris

Advent Parrallax are a very good sounding album all around also.

I second this. Very powerful sound on the album, and although cleaner than the previous full length it still has a killer vibe. The drums really stand out on that album, although most of it probably has to do with The Carcass' unique style.

It's cool to see you lurking around here Mr. Stjerna. Been a fan of your work ever since I first heard Casus Luciferi. The interview with you in Oaken Throne Zine was pretty cool and gave some good insight. Keep up the good work.

About Salvation, well...the way it sounds in the end was a bit of a mistake, but it seems like it worked anyway, hehe. You'll have to struggle to hear the bass for example. But it was an interesting production and I'm definitely not ashamed of it or anything. Just could have been better...

Salvation is one of my favorite black metal albums. Especially the vocals are so fucking great. As is the guitar volume increase in the first song that really blew me away the first time I listened to the album hehe. I would be really interested in some info on what went into the production of that album :kickass:

Btw I really like Watain too. Although I thought Casus Luciferi was better than the last one. Really like the bass sound on that one, although I mostly push everything from 500 hz and below a bit when listening to it, so I can better here the bass goodness going on. Care to tell us what was used on that record? :)

You have any advice on getting good sounding black metal vocals? I have a very hard time getting the verb sounding good, and have never been able to add overdrive or distortion to the vox without it sounding too buzzy....

It depends so much on the effect your after. But sure, I have some "tricks" of course. When it comes to distorted vocals, the will definitely sound fizzy if you don't do something about the treble. But it's also one of the things that I don't work with very often so I don't have any routine for it. I just work out what sounds good. On STTD though I just used a tiny bit of the built-in Distortion plug in Cubase 3, IIRC. Just to make the vocals jump out a bit.
And with effects, I guess you've noticed that I use a lot of reverb and delay pretty often. There's not much more to it than to get it to sound good. And if you want the delay to really come through, don't put it in the song's tempo (pretty easy when you don't use a click track, hehe). Since we're talking about STTD, that one has the delay set to the same tempo all the way through. One of my favorite things though: put a delay and a reverb in series, use the delay to get extreme pre-delay settings for the reverb. About 200-300ms will make it sound huge AND clear.

@tgs: Your work in STTD is outstanding! Love the mix. Did you work on Dissection´s Reinkaos?

Cheers! No I didn't, I think Jon's brother produced that or something. That album is way too dry for my taste, but I have to say that the production is pretty slick. Took them months to finish it so that might explain it.

Salvation is one of my favorite black metal albums. Especially the vocals are so fucking great. As is the guitar volume increase in the first song that really blew me away the first time I listened to the album hehe. I would be really interested in some info on what went into the production of that album :kickass:

Btw I really like Watain too. Although I thought Casus Luciferi was better than the last one. Really like the bass sound on that one, although I mostly push everything from 500 hz and below a bit when listening to it, so I can better here the bass goodness going on. Care to tell us what was used on that record? :)

Salvation: a bit odd production with me trying out "new things" which maybe wasn't the best idea. The guitars were played through a Peavey Bandit 80W combo miced with a single SM57, in parallel with the direct output from a Marshall 9000 piece of crap, hehe. Bass was most probably through a Digitech GSP2101.
Yeah, the vocals are quite something... I think the drums took me half a day to nail, the guitars were like one or two evenings together with the bass, then the vocals took like a couple of weeks. Arioch wanted to do everything line by line, go back and listen immediately and do the lines over and over. Nowadays it's ok for me to work like that but back then I was using blackface ADATs so it took AGES.

Casus Luciferi: I think we used the GSP2101 for the bass since it's what we used on the album before and Erik liked the sound. It could have been a Sansamp though, don't know if we already had that back then. Guitars: Engl Fireball with a 1960BX or a 1960B, not sure.

About Advent Parallax, it is indeed cleaner and it's kind of what we worked for. We used a Dual Recto on both this one and the one before but this time we used a Mesa Trad cab instead of the 1960 we used on Tetra. One other difference was that I also mixed it in Austin this time instead of doing that in Stockholm, but I don't think that made any huge difference for the sound.

EDIT: Btw, I just remastered the two first Watain albums, so the new versions are more like I intended them to turn out.